Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
What a start to his career. All over the place and with any puck luck he pots a goal and few more apples.

What a smart and quick player. He passes the puck to the right spot immediately and the puck seems to follow him around.

I have thought about it enough to stand behind the idea that G and Cat looked as good ND better as they have all year with Greig as the pivot tonight.

Much more dynamic than when they were with Stu or Pinto.

I also think it was a shitty thing for DJ to not put him out with his line late in the game. For Gambrell of all players too.

He had shown to be defensively responsible every shift and could have had a crack at the empty net while getting the good vibes of being out to preserve a W he played a huge part in.

Yeah not going to lie, it pissed me off when he replaced him with Gambrel at the end of the game - and then of course they get hemmed in.

That was my first reaction as well. But after thinking about it for a moment I think DJ realized it was a great first game and he didn't want to risk sullying it for the kid by having the tying goal be against his line. He also may have wanted Ridly to NOT have his first NHL goal be an empty-netter.

These aren't the calls I would have made but I get them. I think DJ leaves a lot to be desired as an NHL coach (to put it mildly) but I don't really blame him for this.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Ridly had a fantastic debut.

I am going to give DJ some credit for putting him on a line with Debrincat and Giroux in his first game .. and feeding him the ice time he got. Ridly responded and more than met expectations. High IQ on display , all 3 zones.

A lot of coaches would have played him on the bottom 6 and eased him in. Good on DJ for giving him opportunity.

He should be up until the break at least

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Greig and Pinto were both very good yesterday. Maybe this makes Batherson expendable in the future?

Last edited:

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Ridly had a fantastic debut.

I am going to give DJ some credit for putting him on a line with Debrincat and Giroux in his first game .. and feeding him the ice time he got. Ridly responded and more than met expectations. High IQ on display , all 3 zones.

A lot of coaches would have played him on the bottom 6 and eased him in. Good on DJ for giving him opportunity.

He should be up until the break at least
Agreed, was glad they put him in a position to succeed. I was at the game, he was great in all 3 zones. Fits well with those two guys. They were by far the best line. I think its important to have atleast one lefty or righty on each line.

Greig and Pinto were both very good yesterday. Maybe this makes Batherson expandable in the future?
Or ya know they just keep all the good players they have.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Greig and Pinto were both very good yesterday. Maybe this makes Batherson expandable in the future?
Huh? Greig and Pinto are centers. Batherson is a winger.

Why are you concerned with a 20th place team getting rid of good players?

Are we allergic to building depth and a team that is in the upper half of the standings?

Is there a rule where we must have a crappy bottom half of the roster, and every time we get a good player, we have to get rid of another good player?

Why isn't it "Greig and Pinto looked good. This can push someone like gambrell, out of the lineup"

????????

K1900L

Dec 27, 2019
With all the criticism DJ has rightfully received, one great aspect of his coaching has been the implementation of our prospects.
He allows them to adapt and enhance their game quickly. If our team looks good in let's say 3 years, it has a lot to do with how DJ allowed the young core to grow and create chemistry this fast.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Huh? Greig and Pinto are centers. Batherson is a winger.

Why are you concerned with a 20th place team getting rid of good players?

Are we allergic to building depth and a team that is in the upper half of the standings?

Is there a rule where we must have a crappy bottom half of the roster, and every time we get a good player, we have to get rid of another good player?

Why isn't it "Greig and Pinto looked good. This can push someone like gambrell, out of the lineup"

????????
We can't afford all of them...especially if we are thinking of resigning Debrincat. Pinto needs a new contract this year too. Just thinking ahead, that's why asking the question about the future not today....

We also have to pay Sanderson next year AND we still need another top 4d and a starting goalie.. There is going to need to be some cap gymnastics to keep what we have.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
We can't afford all of them...especially if we are thinking of resigning Debrincat. Pinto needs a new contract this year too. Just thinking ahead, that's why asking the question about the future not today....

We also have to pay Sanderson next year AND we still need another top 4d and a starting goalie.. There is going to need to be some cap gymnastics to keep what we have.

But you're talking about Greig who doesn't need a contract until 3 years from now. Guys like zaitsev will be long gone as well as all those cap hits to buyouts and trades that we still have. Plus the cap hit going up.

By that point, Giroux will either be gone or cheaper. Etc. Etc.

Were not in any cap crunch where we have to worry about trading 4.9m batherson to fit 900k Greig. Come on.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
That was my first reaction as well. But after thinking about it for a moment I think DJ realized it was a great first game and he didn't want to risk sullying it for the kid by having the tying goal be against his line. He also may have wanted Ridly to NOT have his first NHL goal be an empty-netter.
I agree with the bolded - it crossed my mind too, but then I thought I would be much happier having assisted on the winning goal and scoring the goal that sealed the victory in my very first NHL game than worrying about it being an EN goal.

Certainly kudos to DJ for putting him with G and Cat although not sure he had much choice. The Pinto experiment was over and once again when put down to a lower line he looks like a different player.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Greig and Pinto were both very good yesterday. Maybe this makes Batherson expendable in the future?
I don't see how this makes sense? He is on one of the best contracts in the league and while he is having a down season compared to the standard he set last year he is still doing well. We need to look elsewhere to make space and leave our good players here.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Hey guys, do you think he'll be up for the rest of the season? Or is this more of a cup of coffee before he goes back down?
Based on one game it is hard to say for certain; however, he showed he can play well at the NHL level and deserves to get more games.

Last edited:

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
But you're talking about Greig who doesn't need a contract until 3 years from now. Guys like zaitsev will be long gone as well as all those cap hits to buyouts and trades that we still have. Plus the cap hit going up.

By that point, Giroux will either be gone or cheaper. Etc. Etc.

Were not in any cap crunch where we have to worry about trading 4.9m batherson to fit 900k Greig. Come on.
This is about pre-planning that's all I'm saying....

Pinto, Sanderson, new goalie or signing Talbot, need a top 4RD, Stutzle new contract hits next etc...it will be interesting to see what Sens brass do in the offseason

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Pinto won't get a big contract after this season and even Sanderson may not break the bank plus we have lots of room for our fringe prospects to come up in lesser roles on lower contracts as well.

Bath has really looked out of sorts for a while but that is a guy you show patience with and let him work through it, not give up on because of 1/2 a season. Considering the outside factors his mind may not be as focused as usual.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
His debut was similar to Pinto's.
True. He was very good in his debut. Good reads; Good defensively. Got PK time and looked good. (very little if any this year). Won draws.
It could be an just a one game outlier but Pinto had a lot of opportunity with Debrincat and Giroux and especially early on did not have the ease Greig showed in reading off them and complimenting them.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
This is about pre-planning that's all I'm saying....

Pinto, Sanderson, new goalie or signing Talbot, need a top 4RD, Stutzle new contract hits next etc...it will be interesting to see what Sens brass do in the offseason

Off the books this summer:

Talbot 3.7
Hamonic 3.0
Watson 1.5
Motte 1.4
Holden 1.3
Brassard 750k
Phaneuf 400k (doesn't need to be replaced)

Off the books next summer:

Zaitsev 4.5
Ryan 1.9 (doesn't need to be replaced)
Murray 1.6 (doesn't need to be replaced)
Del Zotto 750k (doesn't need to be replaced)
We also get +625k from Colin whites buyout somehow lol

So there's lots of flexibility.

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Makes a lot of sense to me. Probably true of second round picks like Sokolov too.

There's no way that Sokolov wouldn't be an improvement on this roster next year over guys like Watson. They should extend him with a one way next year.

Reactions: Bileur

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
You know, he's a first round pick so he should, theoretically, be a lot more impactful than fringe NHLers, AHLers and guys at the tail end of their NHL career.

Austin Watson was picked earlier than Ridly Greig.

He's also never been a healthy scratch or played a game in the AHL during his time as a Senator. Not viewed as a fringe player, AHLer or at the end of his career by this coaching staff. Which could be part of the problem.

But yeah, I agree that Greig is obviously better than all those guys.

Reactions: Bileur

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
On a different note.

Last night on the broadcast they kept talking about how Greig assisted on G's goal and how cool that was but aren't Sandy and the Riddler besties from way back due to their dads playing together?

His first point was a pass from one of his oldest friends that he then passed to his idol. Pretty wild turn of events for him to have that happen.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
You know, he's a first round pick so he should, theoretically, be a lot more impactful than fringe NHLers, AHLers and guys at the tail end of their NHL career.
Idk if the stats back that up, although alot has changed in scouting over the years, there was an article back a few years ago that pegged 28th OA as historically having a 50% chance of playing 100 games, and that 75% became 4th liners or worse.

With a more modern dataset the results probably improve a bit, but I still think he's a much better prospect than his draft position would initially project

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad