Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Probably a dumb question, but has Greig put on any muscle this season? Iirc, that was the one thing this kid really needed (aside from pro experience and general game polishing) to make it at the NHL level. Kid has had a lot of bumps and bruises along the way...I'm getting a bit weary of seeing another young stud end up on on the injured list.
The AHL is just as physical as the NHL, not to mention the excess of goonery you will see there that has disappeared in the NHL. I don't think Greig has any more reason to get injured in the NHL than in the AHL.

The reason why I would have liked him to see more games in the AHL is so that he could get plenty of minutes in an offensive role, which it seems he will get in this promotion anyway. But will he take the kind of offensive chances he normally would/should in the AHL? That's TBD.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yip, he wasn't playing up to par the org's expectations. Hence they soured on him and didn't call him up.
Well thats not what Mann said, he actually talked a fair bit about how far he's come this season, particularly defensively. Mann said that when the callups were made, they called up the player who at that moment was playing well, and since the call up, Sokolov really stepped up his game and has been top on their internal leader boards.

they didn't sour on Greig when guys were called up ahead of him, they just had someone they felt would help them more at that moment.

The leap to conclude they've soured on him is a bit odd.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well thats not what Mann said, he actually talked a fair bit about how far he's come this season, particularly defensively. Mann said that when the callups were made, they called up the player who at that moment was playing well, and since the call up, Sokolov really stepped up his game and has been top on their internal leader boards.

they didn't sour on Greig when guys were called up ahead of him, they just had someone they felt would help them more at that moment.

The leap to conclude they've soured on him is a bit odd.
dramatic

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The AHL is just as physical as the NHL, not to mention the excess of goonery you will see there that has disappeared in the NHL. I don't think Greig has any more reason to get injured in the NHL than in the AHL.

The reason why I would have liked him to see more games in the AHL is so that he could get plenty of minutes in an offensive role, which it seems he will get in this promotion anyway. But will he take the kind of offensive chances he normally would/should in the AHL? That's TBD.

It is generally acknowledged that the players in the NHL are more mature, bigger, stronger, faster and more highly skilled than those in the AHL.

If Greig has not matured yet, added muscle, improved his skating speed and learned how to play against better, bigger, stronger, faster players in the AHL versus Junior hockey, then he might put himself at risk playing in the NHL before he is "ready" to do so.

Therefore I agree that he should play more games in the AHL, at least a complete season, to mature and learn how to play at the pro level before being promoted to the NHL, UNLESS he has already done so, which I doubt, given that he was a late first round pick and of slight build at the draft.

Reactions: DrEasy

Philadelphia Collins

May 31, 2011
Congrats Ridley on an awesome first game. Not sure if this is the style of game we can continue to expect from you, but keep that up and you're going to be a very popular man in this city.
My only concern is his size, playing like this against men every night isn’t easy, especially at 170lbs

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Oh, that's his style alright. Nasty little bastard - with skill. Love it
Yeah, that's awesome. I haven't seen a lot of his games outside the WJC. But I distinctly remember them interviewing somebody else on that Juniors team who was raving about how good Ridly's hands were in practice. Looking forward to the next few games hoping to see more of this.

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
Hey guys, do you think he'll be up for the rest of the season? Or is this more of a cup of coffee before he goes back down?

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Not really. He'll be a pro for 3 years in the Sens org. I think next camp will be his make it or break it with the Sens. If he doesn't make it, I see him being traded and for sure waived.

BTW, it looks like the org is not too enamoured with him as Chartier, Luccini, Greig and others have been called up before him. I think they wanted him to improve his skating, but he hasn't improved enough.
Dorion said just a few days before recalling Greig that Sokolov responded really well after Luccini and Chartier got called up, and that he'd be up soon for a 5-10 game look.

Greig was recalled because he's a C. If a winger went down, Sokolov would have been playing tonight.

Reactions: NB613 and Cosmix

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
What a start to his career. All over the place and with any puck luck he pots a goal and few more apples.

What a smart and quick player. He passes the puck to the right spot immediately and the puck seems to follow him around.

I have thought about it enough to stand behind the idea that G and Cat looked as good ND better as they have all year with Greig as the pivot tonight.

Much more dynamic than when they were with Stu or Pinto.

I also think it was a shitty thing for DJ to not put him out with his line late in the game. For Gambrell of all players too.

He had shown to be defensively responsible every shift and could have had a crack at the empty net while getting the good vibes of being out to preserve a W he played a huge part in.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
It is generally acknowledged that the players in the NHL are more mature, bigger, stronger, faster and more highly skilled than those in the AHL.

If Greig has not matured yet, added muscle, improved his skating speed and learned how to play against better, bigger, stronger, faster players in the AHL versus Junior hockey, then he might put himself at risk playing in the NHL before he is "ready" to do so.

Therefore I agree that he should play more games in the AHL, at least a complete season, to mature and learn how to play at the pro level before being promoted to the NHL, UNLESS he has already done so, which I doubt, given that he was a late first round pick and of slight build at the draft.
I don't think it is acknowledged anywhere that NHL players are bigger and stronger. Faster and more skilled - sure.

The AHL has plenty of big, strong and reasonably fast goons looking to make a name for themselves by knocking other players into next week.

The AHL is an man's league where the proffessional athletes that play there have excellent strength and conditioning - they do have to something to make up for their relative lack of skill compared to NHL regulars.

Up for the rest of the season
If he keeps playing like last night then he won't give the team a choice.

Reactions: barriers

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
What a start to his career. All over the place and with any puck luck he pots a goal and few more apples.

What a smart and quick player. He passes the puck to the right spot immediately and the puck seems to follow him around.

I have thought about it enough to stand behind the idea that G and Cat looked as good ND better as they have all year with Greig as the pivot tonight.

Much more dynamic than when they were with Stu or Pinto.

I also think it was a shitty thing for DJ to not put him out with his line late in the game. For Gambrell of all players too.

He had shown to be defensively responsible every shift and could have had a crack at the empty net while getting the good vibes of being out to preserve a W he played a huge part in.
Yeah not going to lie, it pissed me off when he replaced him with Gambrel at the end of the game - and then of course they get hemmed in.

Reactions: OD99 and Bileur

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I think it's important to point out that Greig will almost certainly get a nickname that is not the standard "<abbreviated-last-name>-ie".

If I have to hear DJ Smith mention "Forsie" or "Brannie" or "Wattie" in an interview again I'm going to lose my mind.

Long live "The Ridler"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad