Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Me too.

I love Forms and hope things work out for him to come back but Greig will put up a lot more points and have an overall greater impact.

I see 2nd line potential with ability to jump onto top line when needed. Super high on him.

If he can get any substantial weight gain then the skys the limit. Hopefully he and Jake have another great offseason in the gym together.

Agree with all of this but with his natural playmaking style, defensive responsibility and grit he’d also be a great fit as a winger for Pinto on a third line.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
morpheus-at-last.gif

Looks like he'll be playing with DeBrincat and Giroux to start. Greig's favorite player growing up was G, super cool opportunity.
Extra happy for you Stoic!!

Reactions: StoicSensFan

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Another? When was the first?
Remember when he blocked a shot & got hurt & was out for a while? Then there was the beautiful break away goal last yr maybe. Everything is getting more foggy by the yr, this could be his 3rd time playing in Ottawa I think.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Remember when he blocked a shot & got hurt & was out for a while? Then there was the beautiful break away goal last yr maybe. Everything is getting more foggy by the yr, this could be his 3rd time playing in Ottawa I think.
Preseason games?

He had that slick move for a goal, then croschecked a guy in the face, got suspended for two games, one served in preseason a year ago, the next served in this year's preseason

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Surprised Sokolov isn’t up too

I’d be down to see Sokolov-Pinto-Batherson
Sokolov may be up later, but Belleville is drowning in injuries, so in fairness to them we can't really have too many guys sitting in the press box here in Ottawa.

I'll say this also - the next shot Sokolov gets might be his last. He is supposed to score, and had a goose egg in eight games here previously. He then followed that up with a poor camp this year. If he comes up dry in his next look here, he officially goes from prospect to suspect...

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Sokolov may be up later, but Belleville is drowning in injuries, so in fairness to them we can't really have too many guys sitting in the press box here in Ottawa.

I'll say this also - the next shot Sokolov gets might be his last. He is supposed to score, and had a goose egg in eight games here previously. He then followed that up with a poor camp this year. If he comes up dry in his next look here, he officially goes from prospect to suspect...
He needs waivers next year, so the team will need to make a decision on him. Not sure he has enough value to make a difference in a trade proposal but I could see him being a piece we ship out for help somewhere else.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
hopefully the kid doesn't get injured. Can't wait to see him play

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
He needs waivers next year, so the team will need to make a decision on him. Not sure he has enough value to make a difference in a trade proposal but I could see him being a piece we ship out for help somewhere else.
I think he'd have some value around the league. Think we could get a 3rd, maybe a bit more. Value would be higher at the deadline than in the offseason.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

What? lol why? He is 22 and is progressing each year. That makes no sense. He was already a late bloomer and a big guy. His development curve was always going to be longer. He is leading Belleville in scoring. Man this board needs some patience.

Reactions: Icelevel and OD99

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What? lol why? He is 22 and is progressing each year. That makes no sense. He was already a late bloomer and a big guy. His development curve was always going to be longer. He is leading Belleville in scoring. Man this board needs some patience.
It's pretty simple, he's waiver eligible next year, if he doesn't make an impression the team will be incentivized to get value back out of him rather than lose him for nothing.

If you think he's too good to pass through waivers next season, his next chance could very well be his last with this team, especially if Dorion is allowed to try and save his job and make a trade for D at the deadline.

Reactions: stempniaksen

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
It's pretty simple, he's waiver eligible next year, if he doesn't make an impression the team will be incentivized to get value back out of him rather than lose him for nothing.

If you think he's too good to pass through waivers next season, his next chance could very well be his last with this team, especially if Dorion is allowed to try and save his job and make a trade for D at the deadline.

This is the primary issue of having a lame-duck coach and GM down the stretch.

The next 38 games should feature JBD, Thomson and Sokolov so we can see what we have in those guys. Instead, we'll keep playing Zaitsev, Hamonic, Holden, Watson and Brassard.

barriers

Feb 10, 2020

Depending the contract he's being offered here he could also just go back home with a guarantee to play in the KHL and make more money

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I don't know if this has been asked or mentioned or if I'm wrong...

But doesn't Greig have a one game NHL suspension, and has he faced that?

Did he make the team for one game to use up the suspension and then send him down?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Depending the contract he's being offered here he could also just go back home with a guarantee to play in the KHL and make more money
Fair point, not sure how much the KHL would offer him right now, or whether he'd want to go that route at the moment, but KHL, and possibly some of the other European leagues could probably offer him more than an AHL salary.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't know if this has been asked or mentioned or if I'm wrong...

But doesn't Greig have a one game NHL suspension, and has he faced that?

Did he make the team for one game to use up the suspension and then send him down?
He was suspended for two games, he served one last year in preseason and it was confirmed this year during camp that the second was served on preseason this year after some initial speculation that it had to be a reg season game

Reactions: jbeck5

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
This is the primary issue of having a lame-duck coach and GM down the stretch.

The next 38 games should feature JBD, Thomson and Sokolov so we can see what we have in those guys. Instead, we'll keep playing Zaitsev, Hamonic, Holden, Watson and Brassard.
If the B-Sens were on a roll and jockeying for playoff positioning then I could see some reason to keep those guys down but we are last in the conference and 5th last in the league so I agree completely that getting them into the NHL to showcase themselves should be a priority.

There is no pressure other than see how they adjust and if they increase their trade value then all the better. If they don't, well nothing lost as they didn't have much value to begin with.

The only piece I could see is that our other prospects lose some insulation down in Belleville but even then, is that so bad? They get more ice time to learn and grow as well.

Reactions: DrEasy

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He was suspended for two games, he served one last year in preseason and it was confirmed this year during camp that the second was served on preseason this year after some initial speculation that it had to be a reg season game
Sweet, thanks for clarifying!

Ad

Ad

Ad