Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
Would it not make sense to give Grieg a shot in an attempt to get a better idea of what he is (and will be) at the NHL level? He’s likely to be an ask in any significant trade. It might be a good time to see what he is in an effort to better determine whether or not he should be a piece to be moved.

Reactions: Larionov

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Would it not make sense to give Grieg a shot in an attempt to get a better idea of what he is (and will be) at the NHL level? He’s likely to be an ask in any significant trade. It might be a good time to see what he is in an effort to better determine whether or not he should be a piece to be moved.
If AF47 isn't back next season, we're going to need an effective pest type player really bad. Greig should stay either way really, I would sooner part with Pinto

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I think they know what he is and they want him to be part of the future.

We talk about Boucher and what he will bring but Greig will be physical, a pest and score while being effective in almost any role they give him.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

We talk about Boucher and what he will bring but Greig will be physical, a pest and score while being effective in almost any role they give him.
Interview on 1200 today with Greig, about 13 minutes long. Pretty good listen.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012

I can’t wait

I think he can be a more pesty version of Formenton for us, who we’ve been sorely lacking this year

Reactions: Larionov

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I can’t wait

I think he can be a more pesty version of Formenton for us, who we’ve been sorely lacking this year
Me too.

I love Forms and hope things work out for him to come back but Greig will put up a lot more points and have an overall greater impact.

I see 2nd line potential with ability to jump onto top line when needed. Super high on him.

If he can get any substantial weight gain then the skys the limit. Hopefully he and Jake have another great offseason in the gym together.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Me too.

I love Forms and hope things work out for him to come back but Greig will put up a lot more points and have an overall greater impact.

I see 2nd line potential with ability to jump onto top line when needed. Super high on him.

If he can get any substantial weight gain then the skys the limit. Hopefully he and Jake have another great offseason in the gym together.
Here's a theory

There's been a ton of media and political pressure on the HC scandal and the event was reopened by police and presumably thoroughly investigated again. Why haven't charges been laid? Could be that political pressure aside, there's insufficient grounds to charge anyone or limited probably to convict anyone

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Here's a theory

There's been a ton of media and political pressure on the HC scandal and the event was reopened by police and presumably thoroughly investigated again. Why haven't charges been laid? Could be that political pressure aside, there's insufficient grounds to charge anyone or limited probably to convict anyone
Not sure we can get into this discussion, at least in this thread, but it seems plausible particularly given that there was already a civil case closed with an NDA in place.

Must be hard to investigate fully, not to mention we are now 5 years past?

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

I want to keep Greig. Trading Boucher is fine with me, even though I tend to like bigger more physical players, because I think Greig will be the better more valuable player.

I would also like to give Sokolov a chance to play RW this season, with Pinto at C. It's time to give him the opportunity to show if his development has made him into an NHL player, or not. Sokolov is subject to waivers next season so this is the time to do it; as the team is not likely going to make the playoffs this season.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Me too.

I do not think Greig will have a better career than Formenton; I think they are likely to be a similar level of player. To date Formenton has shown he can already play well in the NHL; Greig has not.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think I'd like to see the Sens go to a more offensive 3rd line .. something like
Greig - Pinto- Lodin/Sokolov but I'd like to see Lodin
and one really solid checking line
Motte - Kastelic - Joseph.. ( I would look to move Joseph to use a cheaper player without much drop off)
Leaves Kelly, Watson, Lucchini, Chartier..
Its a change in Philosophy but I think it would be interesting to try.

Now if we could only teach forwards to defend.
I am not a fan of Motte. I would rather see a big bruiser policeman on the 4th line. Joseph is paid too much to be on the 4th line; another Dorion contract goof.

Why 163 seems very specific, where is that number from.?

I’d guess 175-180
Oops tagged wrong person
@Cosmix
Hockeydb I think. :)

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I do not think Greig will have a better career than Formenton; I think they are likely to be a similar level of player. To date Formenton has shown he can already play well in the NHL; Greig has not.
We will see.

Greig is showing production at the AHL level and if he can stay healthy he is looking to put up a Josh Norris type of year compared to what Formenton put up in his rookie AHL season (which was quite good as well).

I think Greig is better at everything other than straight line speed compared to Formenton as well. Vision, playmaking, toughness, shot, edges.

Greig will be on the Senators next season which is 4 years after being drafted compared to 5 years for Formenton and I would not be surprised if Greig puts up better numbers due to his playmaking abilities.

Reactions: scout20

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Not sure we can get into this discussion, at least in this thread, but it seems plausible particularly given that there was already a civil case closed with an NDA in place.

Must be hard to investigate fully, not to mention we are now 5 years past?
HC mentioned a while back that the NDA was cracked open, presumably due to political and subsequent public pressure, that and leadership change. I don’t think that agreement holds any sway any more.

The London police did say that there is enough evidence to conclude that an assault did take place (or something to that effect) however, in these types of cases that’s very different from also concluding that there is enough evidence that a ‘crime’ was committed (mens rea). Prosecutors while have to decide if there is enough evidence to prove guilty mind, because the guilty act is not being questioned.

I suspect that there is a huge question of whether it is to the public benefit to make public the names of several people who will be most certainly judged by the public regardless, without strong enough evidence to secure a legal guilty verdict.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Completely normal as Formenton was a NHL rookie at 22 y/o last season. Greig is a rookie in the AHL this season. He turned 20 y/o in August

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
P
We will see.

Greig is showing production at the AHL level and if he can stay healthy he is looking to put up a Josh Norris type of year compared to what Formenton put up in his rookie AHL season (which was quite good as well).

I think Greig is better at everything other than straight line speed compared to Formenton as well. Vision, playmaking, toughness, shot, edges.

Greig will be on the Senators next season which is 4 years after being drafted compared to 5 years for Formenton and I would not be surprised if Greig puts up better numbers due to his playmaking abilities.
i hope you are correct.

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016

I don’t think you can know what a 28th overall pick is in the NHL until he’s actually played in the NHL.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I don’t think you can know what a 28th overall pick is in the NHL until he’s actually played in the NHL.

Projecting talent is absolutely possible. Some people are even paid for it as a job. People who don't work in that field can also make money by investing on the right players (hockey cards, etc)

Of course we have no idea what the finished product will exactly look like but there's many players that you can see coming from a distance. Shane Pinto for example. However I've seen some people think he could be a high end producer (he's more a Phillip Danault in the making IMO) so projections seem to be all over the place.

Which meets your argument, there's no consensus on what a player will become

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
At this stage where he was drafted is irrelevant.

What he has done post draft from WHL to WJHC to AHL is impressive and puts him on a good path.

Reactions: Cosmix

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014

morpheus-at-last.gif

Looks like he'll be playing with DeBrincat and Giroux to start. Greig's favorite player growing up was G, super cool opportunity.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I was expecting this to happen after the TDL. This seems a bit premature to me, but desperation has set in the front office.
Dorion said a what 3-4 days ago the plan was to get him 50 games in Belleville. Norris going down changed this I would guess.

Reactions: Icelevel

Ad

Ad

Ad