Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
It’s time to call up Ridly Crieg! Have him replace Pinto on the second line until Norris is back.

Love to see him up I doubt they do that move. Sens are getting healthy as much as I'd like to see a couple call ups to see how they do .. As long as they are chasing a playoff spot .. I am not sure how innovative they get.

Reactions: Cosmix

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
People are going to be shocked by how good Greig is going to be

I was one of the very few to vote him before Pinto in the polls (don't recall but maybe did that the last 2 years).

Not that I don't think Pinto won't be a great player himself but it's like comparing Phillip Danault and Brad Marchand (pre-PPG seasons ofc)

The only thing I am worried about is he is capable of avoiding impactful injuries?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
People are going to be shocked by how good Greig is going to be

I was one of the very few to vote him before Pinto in the polls (don't recall but maybe did that the last 2 years).

Not that I don't think Pinto won't be a great player himself but it's like comparing Phillip Danault and Brad Marchand (pre-PPG seasons ofc)

The only thing I am worried about is he is capable of avoiding impactful injuries?
I think I'd like to see the Sens go to a more offensive 3rd line .. something like
Greig - Pinto- Lodin/Sokolov but I'd like to see Lodin
and one really solid checking line
Motte - Kastelic - Joseph.. ( I would look to move Joseph to use a cheaper player without much drop off)
Leaves Kelly, Watson, Lucchini, Chartier..
Its a change in Philosophy but I think it would be interesting to try.

Now if we could only teach forwards to defend.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I've seen a Batherson like progression to his career thus far. I'm not going to say I think he makes out that well, but its still a great ceiling to have.

Plus I think he is the type of player that can play 3rd lime duties.

As for bringing him up, I'd not rush him quite yet. Its a huge jump form CHL to AHL and while he has handled it great, its still another huge jump to the NHL. Playing 7-8 minutes a game or press box is just not of value to him or us at the moment. 20 minutes in all situations in the AHL and let him continue to develop. But I certainly hope he will be beating down the door next year.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
I'd be shocked if they called up Greig this season.

Fact of the matter is that when he plays he's been great, but he's played very little since he's been drafted by the Sens. This guy needs to log some minutes and stay healthy. I'm still at a point that whenever he's playing I'm almost expecting the update that he's left the game. He's just been injured that frequently.

Glad he's playing well and my fingers are crossed that he can finally see some longevity this season.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
GReig is 5’11” but only 163 lbs. He needs to mature and put on some muscle before playing in the NHL. He seems to be developing nicely and scoring some goals.

Reactions: NB613

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Me when the Riddler is called up:

morpheus-at-last.gif

Reactions: Cosmix and OD99

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
He's listed as 180 on the AHL site

I never trust those numbers. With offensive linemen in football, they shave weight off. In hockey, they seem to add it on. If he is, he's the scrawniest looking 180 I've ever seen. I love his game, though, and I'm not as concerned as others about the injuries - I think as he fills out and gets stronger the injuries will lessen. I'd love to see him get a few games here this year just as a reward/incentive, then get him here full time next year as we move on from some of our bottom six.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yes, hard not to get exited over this kid. But the best thing for Greig is to leave him in the AHL all year. Let him develop.

But, if the B Sens are out of the playoffs and the Ottawa Sens are as well, there's no harm calling him up for the last 2-3 games of the season to give him a bit of a taste of the NHL (and NHL paycheck for a week) as a reward for a good season.

Reactions: NB613 and bert

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Greig is going to be a "gamer" for us just the way Pageau showed up in big moments.

I think Ridley offers more offensive potential than JPG did but imo they'll have similar impact in game and in the locker room. Really excited to see him up with the Sens full time.

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
Yes, hard not to get exited over this kid. But the best thing for Greig is to leave him in the AHL all year. Let him develop.

But, if the B Sens are out of the playoffs and the Ottawa Sens are as well, there's no harm calling him up for the last 2-3 games of the season to give him a bit of a taste of the NHL (and NHL paycheck for a week) as a reward for a good season.
Only thing is… we likely need to final an internal replacement on the 3rd line for atleast one player (likely one other for the 4th line). Will be disappointed if one of Grieg / Crooshank / Sokolov don’t show some promise for that role this season.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What do you find to be a better site? Elite prospects?
Elite updates with current measurements, hockeyDB has predraft measurements.

Either go to the NHL/AHL/League sites, or Elite. Grieg wouldn’t have an updated NHL page yet as he hasn’t played a game.

Just to show, the WHL with Grieg would have updated at the beginning of last season in Brandon, had him at 6’0 171, compared to the 5’11 163 that DB has. That’s just ripped from his September 2019 draft year season, hasn’t been updated yet.

Likewise with a guy like Guenette, listed at 6’1 180 on hockeyDB while he’s actually 6’3 ~200.

Reactions: JD1

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I imagine Greig could see some games this yr, but it's next yr when the question will be whether he can make the team out of TC. I expect if Formenton doesn't return Greig could end up as the 3rd line LW with Pinto at centre given Norris will be back in the top six. I would like to see Sokolov graduate next yr & be on a 3rd line to create a scoring 3rd line along with either Greig or Formenton. Joseph just doesn't seem to have enough offence in his game to be a top 9 player.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I imagine Greig could see some games this yr, but it's next yr when the question will be whether he can make the team out of TC. I expect if Formenton doesn't return Greig could end up as the 3rd line LW with Pinto at centre given Norris will be back in the top six. I would like to see Sokolov graduate next yr & be on a 3rd line to create a scoring 3rd line along with either Greig or Formenton. Joseph just doesn't seem to have enough offence in his game to be a top 9 player.

I am uncertain about Joseph. He did exceptionally well immediately after arriving here and playing with top 6 players. He might do it again if he played on the same line as before. Whoever got bumped from RW (was it Batherson ?) could move down to play with Pinto.

Given the poor performances recently, a line juggling might be on order to get this team playing better.

Hopefully next season we will start with a new owner, a new GM, a new coaching staff AND the first summer of the new GM will include obtaining a top 2 RD!

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I am uncertain about Joseph. He did exceptionally well immediately after arriving here and playing with top 6 players. He might do it again if he played on the same line as before. Whoever got bumped from RW (was it Batherson ?) could move down to play with Pinto.

Given the poor performances recently, a line juggling might be on order to get this team playing better.

Hopefully next season we will start with a new owner, a new GM, a new coaching staff AND the first summer of the new GM will include obtaining a top 2 RD!
We do have Giroux (although aging) & Batherson in the top six playing RW & Joseph & my guess Sokolov graduating next yr who should fight it out for the 3rd line RW spot. Greig shoots left so I imagine he will be in a competition with Formenton or someone else for the 3rd line LW spot. I think Pinto gets the 3rd line centre spot. I honestly don't know if anyone else in this org who could challenge Greig & Sokolov for those spots on the 3rd line other than Formenton. Should be interesting what happens, I have no idea what will happen with management whether there will be changes or not for next yr.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad