Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Sens needs the cost control of greig. We got some big contracts coming up soon.
100% this.

Unless its established cheap talent or a top4 RD coming back, we might as well keep Greig and guys like Sokolov, Jarventie, etc... These guys are most likely going to be on Stu's wing when Giroux declines. In about 2 years is when they'll be expected to put up top 6 points and it gives them another couple years to develop and refine their NHL game.

Heck, even guys like Formenton might price themselves out of Ottawa so the cheap elc/bridge deal talent will be important

Reactions: Cosmix and Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
100% this.

Unless its established cheap talent or a top4 RD coming back, we might as well keep Greig and guys like Sokolov, Jarventie, etc... These guys are most likely going to be on Stu's wing when Giroux declines. In about 2 years is when they'll be expected to put up top 6 points and it gives them another couple years to develop and refine their NHL game.

Heck, even guys like Formenton might price themselves out of Ottawa so the cheap elc/bridge deal talent will be important

This is likely starting now …

Reactions: Cosmix

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Following the 3-4 weeks of rest though, he'll need at east 1-2 weeks of rehab too and then 2-3 weeks of training to get loss muscle back. I doubt he'll be there for training camp tbh but TBD.
He will have started rehab almost immediately. Rest isn't a weapon with injuries these days and he will be working to maintain muscle and fitness already.

Heck my aunt broke her hip and they had her walking same day of surgery. It's amazing how things have changed.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
You know your top 9 is deep when you dont have to rush a prospect like Grieg,and still have a deep top 9
I wouldn't mind putting Grieg into a deal for Chychrun because our forwards are so deep.

If Sanderson turns out and we can sign everyone our Defense would be top notch and so would our offense.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
We thin out quickly if Formy isn’t around.
Ya but if we could have a top 3 defenseman that makes a dynasty, ugghh that would be awesome! I'm thinking like Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson.

Championships are won by playing defence, which is true in a lot of sports. But having a potential shutdown 4 that you play the vast majority of the game is worth more than depth and future savings on small money contracts for good young forwards. Our top 6 is strong and even our top 9 looks good. I just think Chabot needs some steady help.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Ya but if we could have a top 3 defenseman that makes a dynasty, ugghh that would be awesome! I'm thinking like Keith, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson.

Championships are won by playing defence, which is true in a lot of sports. But having a potential shutdown 4 that you play the vast majority of the game is worth more than depth and future savings on small money contracts for good young forwards. Our top 6 is strong and even our top 9 looks good. I just think Chabot needs some steady help.

You are right about the value of D … but no one’s winning the cup without a decent third line either.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I wouldn't mind putting Grieg into a deal for Chychrun because our forwards are so deep.

If Sanderson turns out and we can sign everyone our Defense would be top notch and so would our offense.
Define "top notch". I think iit means "top of the league". We are far from that.

We have 1 VG 2-way D at this time in Chabot.

We have a solid 2nd pair defensive D man in Zub.

After that we have high hopes that Sanderson will become a top 4 D, but at this time he is a rookie prospect.

The rest look like 3rd pair D: Zaitsev, Hamionic, Holden, Brannstrom.

We have 2 prospects in the AHL who may not be ready for NHL time: Bernard-Docker and Thomson.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
You are right about the value of D … but no one’s winning the cup without a decent third line either.
True. Whenever there is a question of need when a team is looking to become great I always hear these analysts say that you can't just acquire an elite, or close to elite, defenseman through trade. But you can pick up a strong third liner at the deadline.

Paul for example to the lighting, or Vermette to the Chicago Blackhawks. Paul scored 2 goals to down the maple leafs to win that series. Vermette had 3 overtime or double over time winners to help lead Chicago to the cup. Both deadline acquisitions.

I believe Sanderson is the number 1 overall prospect who hasn't played in the NHL yet. It would be a relatively safe bet this guy could have an impact in his first year. I have watched his highlights and I think he will learn fast. I understand I could be wrong and he might need a year or two. Maybe we will not even need Chychrun if Sanderson turns out.

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Define "top notch". I think iit means "top of the league". We are far from that.

We have 1 VG 2-way D at this time in Chabot.

We have a solid 2nd pair defensive D man in Zub.

After that we have high hopes that Sanderson will become a top 4 D, but at this time he is a rookie prospect.

The rest look like 3rd pair D: Zaitsev, Hamionic, Holden, Brannstrom.

We have 2 prospects in the AHL who may not be ready for NHL time: Bernard-Docker and Thomson.
Well, if we get Chychrun and Sanderson turns into a stud then our top 4 would be.

Chabot-Zub
Chychrun-Sanderson.

Chychrun was considered for Team Canada, Chabot obviously would have been on it. Zub is solid and Sanderson is the number 1 prospect in the league and he looks like it when he plays IMO.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
True. Whenever there is a question of need when a team is looking to become great I always hear these analysts say that you can't just acquire an elite, or close to elite, defenseman through trade. But you can pick up a strong third liner at the deadline.

Paul for example to the lighting, or Vermette to the Chicago Blackhawks. Paul scored 2 goals to down the maple leafs to win that series. Vermette had 3 overtime or double over time winners to help lead Chicago to the cup. Both deadline acquisitions.

I believe Sanderson is the number 1 overall prospect who hasn't played in the NHL yet. It would be a relatively safe bet this guy could have an impact in his first year. I have watched his highlights and I think he will learn fast. I understand I could be wrong and he might need a year or two. Maybe we will not even need Chychrun if Sanderson turns out.

Ya that’s fair - Nick Paul is easier to get than an impending UFA like what Sanderson hopefully becomes or whoever the elite shut down Dman of the month is.

Reactions: Norris4Norris

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013

That's interesting. I thought it was a requirement that one of the games be during the regular season. Maybe it only applied to last season. Weird.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Mendes and Sens are both wrong here.

The suspension was clearly one preseason and one regular season game.

The sens did not do the right thing last year by letting him serve his suspension before sending him back to junior and now it is a discussion topic.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

The sens did not do the right thing last year by letting him serve his suspension before sending him back to junior and now it is a discussion topic.
I think the Team and Mendes have it right. The reason it said one preseason and 1 regular season game is that it was a 2 game suspension and there was only 1 preseason game left.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Wasn't it the 2nd last game of preseason he got the suspension for last year? Maybe there's a CBA loophole here where the league can't actually define which games)season he serves the suspension for. I mean, imagine the league saying an NHL roster player is suspended for 2 games after an illegal check to the head in game 81, one reg season and one playoff, the see the team miss the playoffs that year unexpectedly. Do you honestly think they'd be able to keep the player out of a playoff game the next season after the player is available for 82 reg season games?

I'm curious to see how this plays out, imo suspension should always be served in consecutive games so it's bizzare to me that a guy can play games in the preseason with a pending suspension to serve (has that ever happened?), but at the same time, missing reg season, and playoff games is more meaningful punishment than preseason games.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
Wasn't it the 2nd last game of preseason he got the suspension for last year? Maybe there's a CBA loophole here where the league can't actually define which games)season he serves the suspension for. I mean, imagine the league saying an NHL roster player is suspended for 2 games after an illegal check to the head in game 81, one reg season and one playoff, the see the team miss the playoffs that year unexpectedly. Do you honestly think they'd be able to keep the player out of a playoff game the next season after the player is available for 82 reg season games?

I'm curious to see how this plays out, imo suspension should always be served in consecutive games so it's bizzare to me that a guy can play games in the preseason with a pending suspension to serve (has that ever happened?), but at the same time, missing reg season, and playoff games is more meaningful punishment than preseason games.
I looked up the old Dale Hunter incident with Turgeon. He got 21 regular season games and he could not play in the preseason games.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

I mean...I'm sure the team verified with the NHL before saying anything and didn't arbitrarily conclude his suspension was done.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
After his last game where he kept on blocking shots, getting helped off, coming back to block another shot .. Pinto was comparing him to Scott Sterling of this video where the commentators really made me laugh. And im sorry, but now everytime the RIddler blocks a shot im going to be yelling - Scott Sterling! :)

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
After his last game where he kept on blocking shots, getting helped off, coming back to block another shot .. Pinto was comparing him to Scott Sterling of this video where the commentators really made me laugh. And im sorry, but now everytime the RIddler blocks a shot im going to be yelling - Scott Sterling! :)

lol Pinto really made that reference? I posted these videos on HF several times in the past, but more the volleyball one

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad