Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Pinto missed so much because he required surgery. Haven't seen anything suggest that is on the table at this point. Good chance he is ready for training camp, though they may take a conservative approach. At the very worst he should be ready for the AHL season. I'm pretty sure Pinto and White had dislocated shoulders as well, not a separated shoulder like Greig.
I looked up the difference on Web MD to see how long it could take to heal:

"How quickly you recover depends on how serious your shoulder injury is. Separated shoulders may heal over a period of 6 weeks. Dislocated shoulders may take longer -- more like 3 to 12 weeks. But these lengths of time are just approximations. Everyone heals at a different rate."

I think more time than that would be required for a hockey player to heal completely and get into game shape.

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I had a mild separation from playing hockey when I was about 45 and I think it was about three weeks til I could play again. It felt like a big deal when it happened, couldn’t dress myself, etc, …. But in the overall scheme of things mine was a pretty minor injury.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I looked up the difference on Web MD to see how long it could take to heal:

"How quickly you recover depends on how serious your shoulder injury is. Separated shoulders may heal over a period of 6 weeks. Dislocated shoulders may take longer -- more like 3 to 12 weeks. But these lengths of time are just approximations. Everyone heals at a different rate."

I think more time than that would be required for a hockey player to heal completely and get into game shape.
Separated shoulder depending on degrees of separation, 2-12 weeks, if no surgery.
Grade 1 - 2-3 weeks
Grade 2 about 6 weeks
Grade 3 about 12 weeks
Surgery - longer

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Great news … other than the fact that Pinto’s injury was viewed as basically the same (missed a couple of shifts).
The difference being Pinto played more and made it much worse by aggitating the initial diagnosis? Other than that, totally the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
The play on Greig was interference but that notwithstanding it wasn't a huge hit. That concerns me

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
The play on Greig was interference but that notwithstanding it wasn't a huge hit. That concerns me
I think the hit that made him miss the last two games actually aggravated an injury he sustained from earlier in the tournament - the one he left for 'precautionary reasons'. Hopefully he's not injury prone, but until he puts on more weight it will be a gamble.

BG reported that it will be 3-4 weeks, will miss the rookie tourney, but may play in exhibition games.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
The difference being Pinto played more and made it much worse by aggitating the initial diagnosis? Other than that, totally the same.

Pinto made it worse with that extra face off ? Link ? How much more injury did that one draw create ?

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
We have a pretty set roster for our top 9 and Belleville has enough pieces to stay competitive. I hope Grieg takes all the time in the world to heal up while he's young

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Enough to change the diagnosis from a couple day rest to requiring surgery apparently.

You’re mistaken … It was never a couple of days rest…

Initially he left the ice and later returned. So the initial diagnosis was that he was fine (suitable to return to play that game). Than it was later determined he needed surgery but nothing about the single draw he took after he returned was linked to making the injury worse and extending the recovery time.

It’s basically the same as Greig. A favourable diagnosis that could easily get worse once he returns to exercise, gets more imaging etc.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Marc Brassard
@mbrassard

Croisé à l’Ominum canadien CP, oû il va jouer avec Claude Giroux, Pierre Dorion indique que Ridly Greig va rater 3-4 semaines en raison d’une épaule disloquée. Il va rater le camp des recrues mais devrait pouvoir jouer des matches hors-concours.

12:19 PM · 22 août 2022·Twitter for iPhone

Lines up with being ready for camp but i wonder if this keeps him out of the prospects tournament. Kind of a bummer but i guess the wjc provides the team with a similar level of competition so it's not as necessary.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Initially he left the ice and later returned. So the initial diagnosis was that he was fine (suitable to return to play that game). Than it was later determined he needed surgery but nothing about the single draw he took after he returned was linked to making the injury worse and extending the recovery time.

It’s basically the same as Greig. A favourable diagnosis that could easily get worse once he returns to exercise, gets more imaging etc.
It was totally obvious, as soon as he tried to win the draw, you see he goes into instant pain, drops his stick, and skates straight to the dressing room.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I guess I wasn't clear, by a couple days rest I mean after injuring it against SJS before suiting up against the pens. Admittedly I was being a bit flippant with a couple days as it was more like a couple weeks, but the point was he came back too soon and aggravated the existing injury. Greig, if he is only back for the main camp as currently being reported, will be ~7 weeks between game action, so there is little worry he will be back too soon. We'll have to wait and see how it heals of course but as of right now their circumstances aren't all that similar.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It was totally obvious, as soon as he tried to win the draw, you see he goes into instant pain, drops his stick, and skates straight to the dressing room.

Yes - I agree with that part. That doesn’t mean he injured himself more trying to win the draw… especially to the extent that it drastically lengthened his recovery.

Senovision

May 23, 2011
I believe it was Lloydie was talking on the radio today saying Greig could be back for training camp. It doesn't sound as though it is that bad.
And I think it was the GM of the Canadian World Junior team was on saying Greig should be back for training camp at some point as well.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I guess I wasn't clear, by a couple days rest I mean after injuring it against SJS before suiting up against the pens. Admittedly I was being a bit flippant with a couple days as it was more like a couple weeks, but the point was he came back too soon and aggravated the existing injury. Greig, if he is only back for the main camp as currently being reported, will be ~7 weeks between game action, so there is little worry he will be back too soon. We'll have to wait and see how it heals of course but as of right now their circumstances aren't all that similar.
Following the 3-4 weeks of rest though, he'll need at east 1-2 weeks of rehab too and then 2-3 weeks of training to get loss muscle back. I doubt he'll be there for training camp tbh but TBD.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Question- with how deep you with young Centers, would an offer of Kakko for Greig work?
Nah. Kakko might end up being the better player down the road, but at this point I suspect the team is happy finding out exactly what we've got in Grieg. Trading one prospect for another who's less along in his development doesn't help much at a time where the team's going all-in.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad