Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I've resigned myself to the fact that Gambrell is going to keep playing until we get a new GM and coach. Dorion inexplicably re-signed Gambrell in the summer, and Smith loves him the way Boucher loved Pyatt. I'd agree that Greig contributes more than Gambrell (and Kelly and Watson, for that matter) but at the same time it's hard to disagree with the notion that the organization was right the first time - Greig needs a full year in the AHL to get stronger and learn the pro game.

If they weren’t going to play him with DeBrincat and Giroux I’d have like to have seen him get a chance at LW with Pinto.

Reactions: scout20

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I've resigned myself to the fact that Gambrell is going to keep playing until we get a new GM and coach. Dorion inexplicably re-signed Gambrell in the summer, and Smith loves him the way Boucher loved Pyatt. I'd agree that Greig contributes more than Gambrell (and Kelly and Watson, for that matter) but at the same time it's hard to disagree with the notion that the organization was right the first time - Greig needs a full year in the AHL to get stronger and learn the pro game.
To be fair he sat the other day for Gauthier.

If they weren’t going to play him with DeBrincat and Giroux I’d have like to have seen him get a chance at LW with Pinto.
Only way that happens if you put Brassard to centre the second line then.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
To be fair he sat the other day for Gauthier.

Only way that happens if you put Brassard to centre the second line then.

I guess so.

I’d have tried Giroux there months ago, and then left Greig there for a longer run when that had success, but what do I know.

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
Grieg needs a few more seasons in the AHL to get his offense and physical confidence in place.

It was great to give him a taste and few games next year also but he has work to do.

The rest of our prospects are ones who need to over season as they are a work in progress regardless of potential we are they are far from NHL ready.

• Wow
Reactions: Alex1234 and NB613

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He’s not early in his development, he’s a 20 year old 1st round pick. Expectation is that he should get games.
Who has lost development time due to covid and injuries he's definitely early in his development cycle. So he was sent down? So Gambrell can play wtf. Gambrell sucks.

NB613

Jul 26, 2013
Ottawa
Grieg needs a few more seasons in the AHL to get his offense and physical confidence in place.

It was great to give him a taste and few games next year also but he has work to do.

The rest of our prospects are ones who need to over season as they are a work in progress regardless of potential we are they are far from NHL ready.
If he really is a few seasons away, he’d be traded by now. He is needed atleast on our 3rd line next year.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

a few more seasons?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Greig might need more time to mature and develop; however, I don't think it will be more than a half or one season in the AHL, if any.

Reactions: Icelevel and DrEasy

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Realistically, how much weight can he put on without negatively affecting his game/skating? Because he needs a fair bit of muscle on that frame to play the way he wants to and be effective in that NHL.

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Gambrell has a full NHL contract and NHL experience; that is why he is playing. However, next season Gambrell will probably not be on the roster.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Realistically, how much weight can he put on without negatively affecting his game/skating? Because he needs a fair bit of muscle on that frame to play the way he wants to and be effective in that NHL.
I don't think his body type will allow him to put on a significant amount of weight. He will get stronger though and I think he is pretty strong for his weight now.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
a few more seasons?
good question. He looks pretty NHL ready right now. He will likely spend a lot of time in the NHL lineup next season. I figure he'll be back up here a bit this season too. He seems like the type of player that can slot anywhere in the lineup and make an impact.

Last edited:
Reactions: bert

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
One trend I've noticed in the last few years is more guys leaving the warm up early. Used to be that every guy did the whole warm up, start to finish no matter what. Now guys are leaving with 5-7 minutes left sometimes - they're ready, and don't want to leave their game in warm up. Makes sense...

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
good question. He looks pretty NHL ready right now. He will likely spend a lot of time in the NHL lineup next season. I figure he'll be back up here a bit this season too. He seems like the type of player that can slot anywhere in the lineup and make an impact.
He's better than what they have right now for sure. But if they feel he needs more seasoning I'm here for it. I want a cup. Not a worse draft pick this year.

Reactions: DylanSensFan

Norris4Norris

Jul 13, 2022
Is this call up to give Greig more experience in the NHL for the future?

If so then we have obviously accepted we probably won't make the playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad