Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
The pre draft info on Silinger had him as offence first type winger. You can’t just convert Logan Browns into elite third line players.

The Sens were drafting for need - say the next Nick Paul. Do you get that by converting Silinger or Converting Boucher ?

Silinger may end up you better than Boucher, but so will 15+ other players selected after Silinger/Boucher including guys taken in rounds 2-6.

All I’m saying is I don’t think the Sens though Silinger could play the roll that this team needs - which is elite 3rd talent that can core grotty goals and lean on the oppositions top players. They basically need a more physical pinto at 3RW and they gambled Boucher could become that over Silinger.I’m okay with the gamble with the way this roster is constructed and what’s in the system (Jarventie, Soko etc).
Generally more skill is better and with size being similar and Sillinger not being considered soft I think you could have banked on his upside.

Perhaps best shot in the draft and sniped wherever he went. Plus is a C.

Team Canada went away from brining in role players years ago and it proves good players can adapt.

Doesn't matter now but teaching a goal scorer to check is much easier than vice versa.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Generally more skill is better and with size being similar and Sillinger not being considered soft I think you could have banked on his upside.

Team Canada went away from brining in role players years ago and it proves good players can adapt.

Doesn't matter now but teaching a goal scorer to check is much easier than vice versa.

I never saw Silinger play pre draft - so I’m just going off scouting reports I read - who knows … ???

Players have to have incredible high compete levels and strength to become elite third liners - guys like White and Lazar (sub par first round picks) will never be converted to good role players.

Like it or not the Sens took the guy they thought could be the premium weapon in a middle 6 role in the final two rounds of the playoffs.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

I'm going to guess that you could always trade a good skill player that you've drafted as well if the team happens to have a surplus of them. There's going to be good market for that kind of player.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I'm going to guess that you could always trade a good skill player that you've drafted as well if the team happens to have a surplus of them. There's going to be good market for that kind of player.

The notion that you can easily trade some PP2-3 only skilled guy for an elite playoff warrior is misguided …

Mike Hoffman types don’t get you Nick Paul’s or better.

• Haha
Reactions: OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
The notion that you can easily trade some PP2-3 only skilled guy for an elite playoff warrior is misguided …

Sure...30 goal scorers will never be enough for a 3rd line player.

Paul has been in the playoffs once on a top team and did well but he is hardly a playoff warrior at this stage.

Boucher didn't help his junior team in the playoffs while Sillinger was on the PP in the NHL at 18 years old.

Have your takes but the exaggerated comparisons take away from your point, they don't enhance it.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

But Joseph and 4th round picks do ?

Isn’t this thread for Greig (please)?

I see new posts and check in, it’s annoying.
I actually don’t think greig has been that great. And everyone remember I was the first Colin White skeptic.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
But Joseph and 4th round picks do ?

I actually don’t think greig has been that great. And everyone remember I was the first Colin White skeptic.
Please remind us …

Re: Paul … there will always be the odd player available. A good playoff team needs 3-4 of those types of guys. Most good players at that age have MNTC’s so getting them to Ottawa can be tricky and expensive. Even with that, how many of those players do we have ? Formy isn’t one, Greig and a Pinto need to fill out… who else ?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019

Another straw man. No one was talking about that.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Please remind us …

Re: Paul … there will always be the odd player available. A good playoff team needs 3-4 of those types of guys. Most good players at that age have MNTC’s so getting them to Ottawa can be tricky and expensive. Even with that, how many of those players do we have ? Formy isn’t one, Greig and a Pinto need to fill out… who else ?
real ones remember.

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
Like who? Can you share a post ? Didn’t I just read a post from you asking why me moved White when we may know Formy is moving ?
Basically he said White was only scoring garbage goals while he was producing in the NCAA and posters came to his neck lol.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Like who? Can you share a post ? Didn’t I just read a post from you asking why me moved White when we may know Formy is moving ?
I don’t hate white. And I didn’t hate his time as a sen. But during his two wjcs I was on here doubting the hype some were giving to him.

Reactions: Sweatred

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
So called skill players might be the least valuable asset in the game.

First off, you've got elite skill players that are clearly in a class of their own.

Then you've got high end two way guys that can put up points and play against top lines.

Then you've got quality 4th line types that can bang, fight, kill a penalty and so.

Then you've got skill players. Guys that can maybe play on a mediocre PP2. Maybe get you up to 45-50 points if they're paired with a guy that is the actual line driver. Kinda softish, can't play shutdown.

Imo anyway they're kind of the least valuable player in the game because there's a ton of them. SJ just cut two such guys in Balcers and Dahlen.

They're tweeners. Not good enough in their own right to play on a 2nd line but can do spot duty. Not physical enough or defensive enough to be an asset anywhere else

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
So called skill players might be the least valuable asset in the game.

First off, you've got elite skill players that are clearly in a class of their own.

Then you've got high end two way guys that can put up points and play against top lines.

Then you've got quality 4th line types that can bang, fight, kill a penalty and so.

Then you've got skill players. Guys that can maybe play on a mediocre PP2. Maybe get you up to 45-50 points if they're paired with a guy that is the actual line driver. Kinda softish, can't play shutdown.

Imo anyway they're kind of the least valuable player in the game because there's a ton of them. SJ just cut two such guys in Balcers and Dahlen.

They're tweeners. Not good enough in their own right to play on a 2nd line but can do spot duty. Not physical enough or defensive enough to be an asset anywhere else
Sure, skill guys can be:
  1. Bonafide NHL regulars; or
  2. Tweeners.
I was talking about category #1 (players that project to be category #1). Good grief. No idea why I am going through this and having to explain. This place is full of narratives and crusades.

Last edited:

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Benefit of playing in the AHL is also more structure and gives him another year to grow up and settle down. He can be careless with his physicality and I think some seasoning in the A could help him with that.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Benefit of playing in the AHL is also more structure and gives him another year to grow up and settle down. He can be careless with his physicality and I think some seasoning in the A could help him with that.
The A is more structure than junior, less than the NHL.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
The A is more structure than junior, less than the NHL.

Agreed but the issue is that if hes taking dumb penalties in the NHL he won't play mutch if at all and the coaches are too busy trying to win games to have the time to work with a kid on what he's doing wrong. In the A there's more time to work on reigning the physicality back to that line where it doesn't hurt the team. Sets him up to succeed with the big club later on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad