Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
I'm most bothered by the missing "e" in his name, but then I looked at where he is from and it all makes sense.
C_Ai90nUIAEU1Yr

• Haha
Reactions: Flamingo

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
(If Grieg is in the warmup tomorrow night, I'll happily come on here and eat my plate of crow.)
Update - he played. ;-) I'm so used to NHL teams giving out bogus information on injuries that my skepticism got the best of me. Glad to see him out there.

I don't think he does a full year in the AHL. If he does go down, he'll be back up as an early injury call up, and probably make himself very difficult to send down again. In our current projected top 12, you have Gambrell and Watson as veterans on expiring contracts, and Parker Kelly as a guy who has yet to establish himself. I see all three of them as vulnerable to pressure from Kastelic and Grieg for spots on the roster on any given night...

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Update - he played. ;-) I'm so used to NHL teams giving out bogus information on injuries that my skepticism got the best of me. Glad to see him out there.

I don't think he does a full year in the AHL. If he does go down, he'll be back up as an early injury call up, and probably make himself very difficult to send down again. In our current projected top 12, you have Gambrell and Watson as veterans on expiring contracts, and Parker Kelly as a guy who has yet to establish himself. I see all three of them as vulnerable to pressure from Kastelic and Grieg for spots on the roster on any given night...
I dont see any reason to rush him into the league in a 4th line spot. The only way he should be playing is if its in the top 9. He wont get any pp time either. I think he should play the entire season in the AHL and come up at the end.

Reactions: Emrasie and DJB

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I dont see any reason to rush him into the league in a 4th line spot. The only way he should be playing is if its in the top 9. He wont get any pp time either. I think he should play the entire season in the AHL and come up at the end.

Might be the case that the team have their hand forced if Batherson and/or Formenton are out to start the year. It will mean at least one of the Belleville guys out of Jarventie, Greig, Sokolov, or darkhorses like Crookshank and Lodin gets an opportunity. Just a matter of who has the best camp.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Might be the case that the team have their hand forced if Batherson and/or Formenton are out to start the year. It will mean at least one of the Belleville guys out of Jarventie, Greig, Sokolov, or darkhorses like Crookshank and Lodin gets an opportunity. Just a matter of who has the best camp.
Thats not a reason to rush a player. Better to sign a depth free agent to fill the role on a 1 year deal. Sokolov is probably more NHL ready anyway. They dont need centers in the event there are issues with Formenton/Batherson. Where this team currently is there is absolutely no reason to rush anyone. Fans think its time but if you actually look at this team objectively this roster hasnt come close to hitting its prime yet.
More bulk and more situational awareness will really help Greig. We are in a great position to let him develop in the AHL and give him a couple of tastes.
Bingo and he needs first pp time.

Reactions: DJB

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Thats not a reason to rush a player. Better to sign a depth free agent to fill the role on a 1 year deal. Sokolov is probably more NHL ready anyway. They dont need centers in the event there are issues with Formenton/Batherson. Where this team currently is there is absolutely no reason to rush anyone. Fans think its time but if you actually look at this team objectively this roster hasnt come close to hitting its prime yet.

Bingo and he needs first pp time.

I hope if it does come down to it we claim someone off waivers rather than force multiple Belleville guys into the lineup. I also agree that I think I'd want to start really giving Soks his cup of coffee in the NHL to see how he does.

I will concede though that almost always coaches and gms are in the business of winning hockey games so if Greig is better than the other Belleville bound guys in camp/preseason/etc then he is going to be on the roster. I cant really fault anyone either if he plays his way onto the team.

Reactions: bert

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
The pre draft info on Silinger had him as offence first type winger. You can’t just convert Logan Browns into elite third line players.

The Sens were drafting for need - say the next Nick Paul. Do you get that by converting Silinger or Converting Boucher ?

Silinger may end up you better than Boucher, but so will 15+ other players selected after Silinger/Boucher including guys taken in rounds 2-6.

All I’m saying is I don’t think the Sens though Silinger could play the roll that this team needs - which is elite 3rd talent that can core grotty goals and lean on the oppositions top players. They basically need a more physical pinto at 3RW and they gambled Boucher could become that over Silinger.I’m okay with the gamble with the way this roster is constructed and what’s in the system (Jarventie, Soko etc).

This is like being offered a $100,000 car for free and saying "No thanks, I only need a $50,000 car." and failing to consider that you could flip that $100,000 car for two $50,000 cars.

Boucher's current value is nothing near where he was selected, and Sillinger is an untouchable for Columbus that is being touted as a future captain. That's just about all anyone needs to know.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
We can see Greig’s PP zone entry plan game after game…. Not on zees side. Not on zat side. But right in ze middle! (Gen Xers, name that movie.)

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Greig is really standing out in this one. From being sent home with effects from Covid in the 2021 WJC to being a star that can play any forward position in any situation in the 2022 WJC.

Reactions: Yak and Frank8

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

I suspect Greig is going to come into camp looking a lot better than Norris did when he transitioned to pro, making it a lot harder. Play style aside, Norris took a few weeks to find his feet in the AHL. We've already seen what kind of impact Greig can have in the AHL over a year ago.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I suspect Greig is going to come into camp looking a lot better than Norris did when he transitioned to pro, making it a lot harder. Play style aside, Norris took a few weeks to find his feet in the AHL. We've already seen what kind of impact Greig can have in the AHL over a year ago.

Norris was coming off an injury that kept him out for the 2nd half of the year in Michigan as well.
He looks like he could play.. but I would advocate to start him in Belleville under Mann. He will play a huge role there and continue to grow his game

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Norris was coming off an injury that kept him out for the 2nd half of the year in Michigan as well.
He looks like he could play.. but I would advocate to start him in Belleville under Mann. He will play a huge role there and continue to grow his game

The injury certainly had an impact on how his camp and AHL season started not denying that, it just made it a lot easier to to have that approach with Norris. I wouldn't mind Greig going to the AHL I just think it's going to be a more difficult decision.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The injury certainly had an impact on how his camp and AHL season started not denying that, it just made it a lot easier to to have that approach with Norris. I wouldn't mind Greig going to the AHL I just think it's going to be a more difficult decision.
Could be more difficult if Formenton is impacted

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
There's really no room at C for Greig so he slots into a LW spot. Assuming Formenton plays, that's the 4LW spot.

Much rather have him in the AHL this year.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Greig will likely spend most/all this year in the AHL. I think he is good enough right now for a bottom 6 role, but seeing as how good our top 9 is right now it's better to let him develop under Mann.

Next year will be interesting though: do we let one of Greig,Formenton or Joseph start on the 4th line? Or do we trade one for defensive help if we're still weak in that area?

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
He definitely needs a season in Belleville to polish up his game. Yes, he could come in right now and be a fourth liner and grind out 10 minutes a night. But put him in the AHL where he can get 18-20 minutes and play in all situations and (hopefully) gain a bit of muscle and smooth out his game....then you could potentially have a 2/3rd line tweener for the NHL in a year or two.

Not to mention, we're not a team desperate for talent anymore. It's at the point the kids really have to battle to earn a spot. And that's a good thing. Getting that culture going where nothing is handed to you, but when you do arrive, you hit the ground running....that's what we need long-term for the franchise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad