Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
That's embarrassing.

Greig wasn't at the top of my list (wanted Bourque or Peterka) but he wasn't an off-the-board selection and fully deserved to go where he did.
The debate was not Greig vs peterka. It was jarventie vs peterka.

Given that we already had Stutzle, I would have thought Peterka would be perfect. But the staff really liked Jarventie. Hopefully he continues to have a strong WJC and takes a big step with Bellville this year.

Reactions: Cosmix and NyQuil

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The debate was not Greig vs peterka. It was jarventie vs peterka.

Given that we already had Stutzle, I would have thought Peterka would be perfect. But the staff really liked Jarventie. Hopefully he continues to have a strong WJC and takes a big step with Bellville this year.

Peterka would have been a good selection at 28 or 33.

Reactions: SensFactor

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
That's embarrassing.

Greig wasn't at the top of my list (wanted Bourque or Peterka) but he wasn't an off-the-board selection and fully deserved to go where he did.
He was off the board for that group who had him ranked 84th in their board. Awful list.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Every prospect has haters these days. Easy to find someone being confidently wrong because they've got a podcast with their buddies.

Don't think many sens fans were upset with the pick though.

Oh ya...I don't do Twitter so I meant in here but good to see some clown at least own up to it.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Who is that idiot?

Edit: Looks like it's JD Burke. What a clown.

I am mesmerized by how terrible some people are at their job these days (construction/renovation is scary right now, my black list is getting way to long lol)

Greig was 24th OA on McKenzie's list, this guy reaction is exactly like he's describing the pick. Looks like a 14 y/o

Oh ya...I don't do Twitter so I meant in here but good to see some clown at least own up to it.

Where is he doing that?

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Sure, I like Jarventie but Peterka is a level above IMO.
I was curious about their performence in the AHL.

Jarventie has 33 points in 70 games for Belleville
Peterka has 68 points in 70 games for Rochester

I think the Sens definitely fudged up not drafting JJ, not even with hindsight knowledge, but the fact that Peterka is friends and has played with Stu before. He's also the same position as Jarventie.

Jarventie is still cooking and can be an NHL player for us...but damn do the stats make the gap between them big lol

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I was curious about their performence in the AHL.

Jarventie has 33 points in 70 games for Belleville
Peterka has 68 points in 70 games for Rochester

I think the Sens definitely fudged up not drafting JJ, not even with hindsight knowledge, but the fact that Peterka is friends and has played with Stu before. He's also the same position as Jarventie.

Jarventie is still cooking and can be an NHL player for us...but damn do the stats make the gap between them big lol

I wanted Peterka drafted as well. But I won’t cry over spilt milk, since Sens scouting determined a better organizational fit/higher potential with Jarventie, who has been playing against men at different levels since 17.

Jarventie is 8 months younger and has a bigger frame. With proper development diligence he can be molded into a useful top-9 player, his shot is absolutely NHL class.

I will wait another couple of years before declaring the winner, but Peterka looks very impressive at the AHL level. 28 goals is a career high at any level for him IIRC, and more goals than Jarventie at any level I think. He does have better mates in our boy Jack Quinn (61 points in only 45 games) and Ruotsalainen.

Boom Boom is a slow bake, he is still filling up, as some mentioned already, and he is showing improvements and looks to have acclimated well to North American ice. He has been one of the more consistent performers for a Finnish team lacking vision in this tournament.

Back to The Riddler, who projects to be better than both!!

Last edited:
Reactions: bicboi64

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
How the hell does this thread always evolve into a discussion of literally everyone else aside from Ridly Greig? I'm honestly impressed with how consistent it is...
Well, I guess we all agree that Greig is da bomb, so we struggle to keep the convo going just with him...

To everyone else, A Gentle reminder, Peterka and Jarventie are different players than Greig, the topic of this thread.

Reactions: Dan Patrick

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I like Greig and all but I think the hype train is getting out of control. The guy he reminds me of is Steve Downie who was a good and extremely annoying player but far from elite. I see Greig becoming a very good third liner and I'd be delighted if he becomes more than that but I don't expect it.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I don't know how I didn't realize this. Greig and Sanderson are good friends?
I think their dads were good friends from being part of the critical Ottawa Senators father's draft of 1990. Both taken by Hartford and stayed close over there years.

Psycroptic86

Oct 5, 2019
How the hell does this thread always evolve into a discussion of literally everyone else aside from Ridly Greig? I'm honestly impressed with how consistent it is...
A true sign of the offseason. Everyone is bored out of their minds, waiting for the next big trade or just for the season to start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad