Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I am reading between the lines that we might be missing Formenton in the lineup.

I could be absolutely be wrong, and I hope I am, but the fact that we have heard crickets about him and an extension, that he has disappeared from Social Media (Batherson is still liking, being tagged etc), leads me to believe there might be a reason why. (I also suspect that the majority of those involved had ties to the London Knights, but nothing concrete).

Greig SHOULD also be in game shape coming into training camp, which will be an advantage. Going from WJC to Rookie Camp to main camp, he’s going to be flying out there.
Yeah, if Formenton is unavailable that's a natural fit for an opening to keep Greig up.

Crookshank could also get a look, he doesn't project as well long term but if they feel Greig could benefit from more AHL time they might opt to try him with the big club or perhaps even Lodin.

I think they will want to take their time with guys and do what's right for their development. That means we might not see the best players play, but rather make decisions based on a long term outlook.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, if Formenton is unavailable that's a natural fit for an opening to keep Greig up.

Crookshank could also get a look, he doesn't project as well long term but if they feel Greig could benefit from more AHL time they might opt to try him with the big club or perhaps even Lodin.

I think they will want to take their time with guys and do what's right for their development. That means we might not see the best players play, but rather make decisions based on a long term outlook.

We hear this Overripe in the AHL thing often but I think it’s exaggerated with the Sens.

Brady, Stutzle, Pinto, and probably Sanderson haven’t played in the AHL - not a single game. It’s easy to make a case their development would have been improved if they were forced to dominate the AHL - cleary the Sens thought they could you of develop just fine without the AHL.

The Sens tried to let Batherson fly earlier and he clearly couldn’t handle it and went back down to eventually outplay the league.

Last edited:

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
We hear this Overripe in the AHL thing often but I think it’s exaggerated with the Sens.

Brady, Stutzle, Pinto, and probably Sanderson haven’t played in the AHL - not a single game. It’s easy to make a case their development would have been improved if they were forced to dominate the AHL - cleary the Sens thought they could you of develop just fine without the AHL.
Wouldn't this be in part becasue of the depth in front of them? Easier to crack the Sens roster 3 years ago as opposed to this season for example, which is a great situation to be in. This is the way things used to be years ago; there weren't many spots available once the team became competative so players spent more time in the AHL. Chris Kelly alluded to this on WAM.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I think Grieg is 100% on the opening night roster. Now after his one game suspension is over, it's anyone's guess if he stays.

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

The Sens tried to let Batherson fly earlier and he clearly couldn’t handle it and went back down to eventually outplay the league.
Every one of those guys except Pinto was a top 5 pick, and Pinto probably would have played in the AHL last year if we had the center depth we currently have. The issue isn't that Greig can't play on a bad NHL team, it's that he doesn't need to play on a good one. If we want to be a good NHL team, it comes with the benefit of having enough depth on the big team to allow good prospects to develop in the AHL.

Norris said playing a year in the AHL was really important to his development and he was physically much more NHL ready than Greig in terms of his size and strength. Batherson spent time in the AHL too, there's nothing wrong with getting guys to dominate the AHL, especially when you have viable alternative at the NHL level.

All I'm saying is I don't see Greig as a shoe in to make the team even if Formenton or someone else is unavailable opening up a spot, and if the roster is fully healthy and available, I don't see him being so good as to force his way on.

Reactions: Cosmix and Sweatred

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think Grieg is 100% on the opening night roster. Now after his one game suspension is over, it's anyone's guess if he stays.
Yeah, the one game suspension might have him on the roster on paper, though if the expect him to start the year in Belleville they may prefer to send him there for their camp and then do a paper transaction on game day to have him serve the suspension

Reactions: Cosmix

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Wouldn't this be in part becasue of the depth in front of them? Easier to crack the Sens roster 3 years ago as opposed to this season for example, which is a great situation to be in. This is the way things used to be years ago; there weren't many spots available once the team became competative so players spent more time in the AHL. Chris Kelly alluded to this on WAM.

That’s a consideration but it goes both ways - the Sens let Jimmy break in on a terrible, Unsheltered,
Hockey team … now the shift will focus on winning games.

If Greig can help the team win With 3L minutes it’s hard to justify sending him down.

Lots of ifs..

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
I'm incredibly high on Greig but I always worry about players who are small for that playstyle in the NHL.

If he were 6'2 200 I'd be more comfortable with his game translating to the big leagues, but 6'0 180 makes me concerned. I had the same concern about Colin White, although I think Greig is twice the player Colin ever was.

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005
That’s a consideration but it goes both ways - the Sens let Jimmy break in on a terrible, Unsheltered,
Hockey team … now the shift will focus on winning games.

If Greig can help the team win With 3L minutes it’s hard to justify sending him down.

Lots of ifs..
But we're not a terrible unsheltered hockey team anymore, at least I hope. There isn't any room for him unless Forementon isn't around, so I don't see how he gets 3L minutes to proove himself if a spot isn't available. A good training camp isn't necessarily an indication he'll help us win hockey games in February. If there's a spot I've no doubt he'd make it hard to send him down, but there's no need to rush him, and this isn't our year to compete anyway.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I'm incredibly high on Greig but I always worry about players who are small for that playstyle in the NHL.

If he were 6'2 200 I'd be more comfortable with his game translating to the big leagues, but 6'0 180 makes me concerned. I had the same concern about Colin White, although I think Greig is twice the player Colin ever was.
Hockey Canada roster lists him as 172lbs and those are always an exaggeration. He needs to fill out or he will get hurt. That's not even a question. The good news is that 19-20 boys can add a solid 10-15lbs of muscle in a year or so. If he ate properly and trained the right way, he'd easily get up into the high 180s within a year.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Hockey Canada roster lists him as 172lbs and those are always an exaggeration. He needs to fill out or he will get hurt. That's not even a question. The good news is that 19-20 boys can add a solid 10-15lbs of muscle in a year or so. If he ate properly and trained the right way, he'd easily get up into the high 180s within a year.
We had him listed at 175 for dev camp, not sure if that helps other than to say he probably isnt coming to camp at 185 or anything.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We had him listed at 175 for dev camp, not sure if that helps other than to say he probably isnt coming to camp at 185 or anything.

He’s slight but is strong for his size. Two years ago at 160lb? He looked tough in the AHL.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Where do you play him? the 4th line?? That would completely stunt the development of his offensive game. I'd much prefer he play 1st line minutes in the AHL.
Someone's gone in a deal for Chychrun/another Dman or maybe there's discipline for Formenton/Batherson but that's speculative for now.

Either way, lots of opportunity for him to make the team, especially if there is injuries. Absolutely I'd play him on the 4th line and maybe a bit of PK/PP2 in games where he's "going". His game literally translates well to any line 1-4, whether we need skill, scoring, playmaking, grinding, hits, pest.. Greig can do a bit of everything so imo he's not a top 6 or demote type player.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
One game in, our boy is already battling the GOAT Lionel Messi:

Grieg’s shit legit!

Greig has to stay out of the penalty box though! Too much reaching caused 2 penalties. He needs to start skating faster to catch the opponents instead of reaching and getting a penalty.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Someone's gone in a deal for Chychrun/another Dman or maybe there's discipline for Formenton/Batherson but that's speculative for now.

Either way, lots of opportunity for him to make the team, especially if there is injuries. Absolutely I'd play him on the 4th line and maybe a bit of PK/PP2 in games where he's "going". His game literally translates well to any line 1-4, whether we need skill, scoring, playmaking, grinding, hits, pest.. Greig can do a bit of everything so imo he's not a top 6 or demote type player.

I hope if a trade is made to get a top 4 RD, that we use draft picks as the price to be paid. Plus we will need to get rid of 1 D such as Zaitsev or Hamonic to get the salary dollars required to pay that new D.

If we get a top 4 RD, giving up next year's 2023 1st round pick is likely going to be the big asset being traded.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016

I think you're mischaracterizing over ripening a little based on your examples.

This concept is less applicable to players who:

1. Are drafted very highly
2. Already play with men
3. Can stay in college longer

There's a difference between pounding on kids in the CHL and playing vs 22 year olds in college and adults in Germany.

I don't think your examples are the best ones with which to dispute the benefits of giving a prospect time in the AHL.

Last edited:

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
He could definitely get some games this year and could push for a roster spot later in the season, but he almost certainly will start the year in Belleville.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Greig has to stay out of the penalty box though! Too much reaching caused 2 penalties. He needs to start skating faster to catch the opponents instead of reaching and getting a penalty.
He was most of the night, that’s why you would of noticed a lot of his steals in the game. One time he got the hands.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott

The "overripe in the AHL" concept was a big thing in the late 90's early 00's, but back then, it was a completely different league. You had Bobby Holik, Ken Daneyko, etc, waterskiing behind players every game, so it was next to impossible to play until you put on weight and physically matured.

Today, that's not the case. It's way easier to play as a 20-year-old who weighs 175lbs.

Not saying the AHL is not useful, it can be when you need to work on specific skills (skating, etc). But for the guys with high-end talent whose only minus is size? It's not as important as it used to be.

You don't need to develop players like the Red Wings used to in the modern NHL.

My money is on Greig playing at least 60 games at the NHL level next year and having a Seth Jarvis/Dawson Mercer-like impact.

Reactions: God Says No

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Greig is going to be a very good player for the Sens in future, it's most likely he gets at least one game to get rid of that suspension but more likely a few. I expect he could spend the yr in Belleville as Norris did to refine his game, add some muscle & learn the pro game. Hopefuly, he does as well in Belleville as Norris did & challenges for a roster spot the following yr.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I love the confidence he has in his playmaking. We need to maintain and develop that if we are to have Greig at his best level. But even today against juniors he was making a lot turnovers trying to make high end passes.

He is going to get eaten up if he tries passing like that in the NHL and it will f*** with his confidence.

AHL is the way.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I barely have time to do anything these days. Preparing a house for sale and it’s a lot crazier than usual.

Do what happened? Is the hockey world starting to catch up on Ridley Greig? Damn I have been promoting him since his first few AHL games.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Why was he benched in the third, or did he get injured. Even in the second, wasn’t a regular shift I thought.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad