Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
No … Giroux is signed for three years - Greig will be a permanent piece of this team long before G’s contract expires.

Greig makes Formy rendundant as early as XMAS and likely 2023.
Hopefully still on a low earning contract. We'll need him, rookie, 2nd year, doesn't matter, he needs to be the X factor in the playoffs.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Hopefully still on a low earning contract. We'll need him, rookie, 2nd year, doesn't matter, he needs to be the X factor in the playoffs.

I agree - I can see Giroux holding down a 1-2 line position with the team on right wing. DJ should be able to shelter an aging Giroux on his top scoring line when he has Brady and Norris to take the heavy lifting in matchups.

It going to be hard for teams to get their top scorers away from Brady’s line or Pinto’s line.

A motivated 3RD line with Pinto and Greig has the potential to drive teams top scoring lines nuts.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
If all works out, our window probably opens with the 2023-24 season, and with a very good top 6, we would be well served to have an awesome complementary 3rd line of, if they develop as seems likely, of Pinto + Greig + Maroon-type mauler.
Whatever gets Greig, and also Pinto ready to win 3rd line battles by the start or middle of 2023-24 will go a long way towards determining how far we can go. They could equate to Tampa's dominant 3rd line with an added solid veteran.
Later, when Giroux starts to drop out of the top 6, right now Greig is the best bet to replace him of our current talent.
Greig may have a better chance of developing 3rd line style at the NHL level, rather than the AHL where he would likely get more focus on scoring and helping carry the team.
The Maroon-type mauler you mentioned IMO could be Boucher, he won't fight as much as Maroon, but I think he has the potnetial to be better offensively.

Greig - Pinto - Boucher 3rd line would be interesting.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
The Maroon-type mauler you mentioned IMO could be Boucher, he won't fight as much as Maroon, but I think he has the potnetial to be better offensively.

Greig - Pinto - Boucher 3rd line would be interesting.
The forward group should be excellent the next few years at least

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The forward group should be excellent the next few years at least
It could depend on what DeBrincvat does whether they are willing to pay his ransom but they have enough good young prospects coming that may be able to offset that as they mature. Pinto could be a really good centre, Greig could be a future DeBrincat replacement, I expect that Boucher will be a hard nosed player & Ostapchuk is going to continue to get better. It looks promising for sure.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
It could depend on what DeBrincvat does whether they are willing to pay his ransom but they have enough good young prospects coming that may be able to offset that as they mature. Pinto could be a really good centre, Greig could be a future DeBrincat replacement, I expect that Boucher will be a hard nosed player & Ostapchuk is going to continue to get better. It looks promising for sure.

The Boucher, Opstachuk, and Greig type picks look wonderful when we see the Dorion’s vision played out …

this team needs skill, toughness, and power on its third line and the top two lines are full with what we have.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The Boucher, Opstachuk, and Greig type picks look wonderful when we see the Dorion’s vision played out …

this team needs skill, toughness, and power on its third line and the top two lines are full with what we have.
Yes, I think the only real thing is going to be maturity with these guys & how long it takes each to start contributing consistently at the NHL level. Then of course, how things play out & who stays & who doesn't want to stay which seems to happen every yr now. Not as much team consistentcy as the old days. While I like a number of our American players who is to say how long they will want to play here & whether they will bolt home the first chance they get.

Sidebar - Formenton - Pinto - Batherson would be an interesting 3rd line if they put Joseph back up on the top line. They would have some of the skill, toughness & power you mentioned especially as they mature.

Reactions: Sweatred

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yes, I think the only real thing is going to be maturity with these guys & how long it takes each to start contributing consistently at the NHL level. Then of course, how things play out & who stays & who doesn't want to stay which seems to happen every yr now. Not as much team consistentcy as the old days. While I like a number of our American players who is to say how long they will want to play here & whether they will bolt home the first chance they get.

Sidebar - Formenton - Pinto - Batherson would be an interesting 3rd line if they put Joseph back up on the top line. They would have some of the skill, toughness & power you mentioned especially as they mature.
Kleven on the back end to mash bodies as well

Reactions: aragorn

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
As high as I am on Greig I don't think we can count on him to be a 40+ goal scorer.

Don't think it will be a ransom from DeBrincat either, top players get paid and between him and Norris we have 2 of the top goal scorers in the league.

Maraz

Jan 25, 2015
As high as I am on Greig I don't think we can count on him to be a 40+ goal scorer.

Don't think it will be a ransom from DeBrincat either, top players get paid and between him and Norris we have 2 of the top goal scorers in the league.
We should be thrilled if Greig is 40+ points player.

Reactions: PlayersLtd

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Always rather keep my expectations low and preparing myself to be pleasantly surprised. ;)
Usually me too, but this is a guy who has excelled at ever single level. Was 13 points away from the team lead in scoring last year in Brandon in 27 fewer games than the leader, while leading the team in PIMs (whether or not that's a good thing is TBD).

He is a menace out there lol. I think it's been mentioned to death that he needs to pick his spots, but f*** me, when he gets a little more maturity, he'll be a little ball of sadness for other teams.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Would the number of players dropping from the World Juniors, was curious to see if this might open up a potential spot for Zack Ostapchuk (who is currently on the Summer Camp Roster)?
You would think it might. The way it seems to be going is this - if you're a 2002 birthday and heading for pro hockey this year, either in the NHL or AHL, NHL teams are seeing no value in sending them to a junior tournament. If you are a 2003 birthday with another year of junior eligibility left, different story. (Obviously players like Kleven, who are going back for another year of NCAA, would fall into that latter category also.)

It's worth noting that Byfield, Drysdale and Perfetti would be eligible for Canada, and Stutzle would still be eligible for Germany, amongst others. Where is the benefit to the NHL teams in sending any of these players to a tournament where they have nothing to prove? They have a LONG pro season coming up, and all this does is lengthen it by a month and risk injury. As a fan it sucks, but if I'm a GM I'm probably making the same decision.

Reactions: Berri UQAM

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

First, I never said Greig would be a 40 goal scorer you did, I said they have enough good young prospects coming that they could offset his loss, meaning score by committee. I expect that Greig will be a good NHL player, how good will depend on numerous factors such as who he plays with & how quickly he adapts to the NHL speed & quick decision making.

Top players do get paid & considering the young guys they have coming who will also want to get paid they might not be able to afford another $8 to $9 mil player. I imagine DeBrincat will do well here, at least he should with the guys they can put on his line, we'll see if he decides to stay or not in a yr's time. I'm just not sure we can afford him after this contract is up given the young guys coming & needing contracts & the financial situation with this franchise.

Reactions: Sweatred

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
First, I never said Greig would be a 40 goal scorer you did, I said they have enough good young prospects coming that they could offset his loss, meaning score by committee. I expect that Greig will be a good NHL player, how good will depend on numerous factors such as who he plays with & how quickly he adapts to the NHL speed & quick decision making.

Top players do get paid & considering the young guys they have coming who will also want to get paid they might not be able to afford another $8 to $9 mil player. I imagine DeBrincat will do well here, at least he should with the guys they can put on his line, we'll see if he decides to stay or not in a yr's time. I'm just not sure we can afford him after this contract is up given the young guys coming & needing contracts & the financial situation with this franchise.
LOL...touchy touchy.

You said replace DeBrincat who is one of the best wingers in the game, so I went with his production.

If we can't afford him we shouldn't have traded for him. I fully expect the plan is for him to be resigned but it's up to him really.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I agree. I also saw more of Kadri than I did of Grieg at that age, but love the fact that he is saying himself how he has been compared a lot with Kadri by others thus far in his career. Kadri comparisons are what he hears most about himself, and anywhere close to that level is jackpot at #28!

I am very happy with this and all three of the 2nd picks (including 7 Kleven who PD Mann traded up for so they see something more than most casual armchair scouts).

That was two year’s ago when he was drafted. I definitely see Kadri type impact, Grieg can play now on the 4th line and still make an impact. He is more skilled than Darcy Tucker, as nasty. Steal of a pick!!

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
Pretty boring run of the mill goal tonight

200w.gif

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Im seriously not sure anymore if it will be Greig or Pinto that emerges as our future elite #3C. Its crazy how sneaky good and smart they both are all over the ice. But they both seem to have some very unique individual qualities to their own games that makes them completely different types of players.

Id would lean towards Greig being slightly better offensively and more dynamic, and a much bigger pest, and better/more willing to play the body. Whereas Pinto will be better defensively, stronger physically and harder on the puck, but less aggressive physically and play a more cerebral brand high IQ two way hockey.

I can see one or both of these guys becoming like high-end role players for us - think Anthony Cirelli. Basically like a rich mans Pageau.

Reactions: aragorn

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
I still think he should play in the AHL and I think we can keep Formenton as well.

Formenton-Pinto-Greig has the makings of an interesting 3rd line.

Reactions: Samsquanch

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Im seriously not sure anymore if it will be Greig or Pinto that emerges as our future elite #3C. Its crazy how sneaky good and smart they both are all over the ice. But they both seem to have some very unique individual qualities to their own games that makes them completely different types of players.

Id would lean towards Greig being slightly better offensively and more dynamic, and a much bigger pest, and better/more willing to play the body. Whereas Pinto will be better defensively, stronger physically and harder on the puck, but less aggressive physically and play a more cerebral brand high IQ two way hockey.

I can see one or both of these guys becoming like high-end role players for us - think Anthony Cirelli. Basically like a rich mans Pageau.
Yeah, i totally agree. Pinto had a bit of a mean streak in him at times in UND and he's also awesome at draws. People see a 3rd liner, but he was right up there with Caulfield for the Hobey Baker.

I know it's a long shot, but I'd love to see him really light it up and sneak into some Calder talk this season.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Yeah, i totally agree. Pinto had a bit of a mean streak in him at times in UND and he's also awesome at draws. People see a 3rd liner, but he was right up there with Caulfield for the Hobey Baker.

I know it's a long shot, but I'd love to see him really light it up and sneak into some Calder talk this season.
Im very high on Pinto as well. Hes ahead of Greig for me in terms of value - simply because Im positive he can be the 3rd line C this coming season.

But its super pleasant to see that Greig is making a case for himself to be the next best forward in the organization thats not already penciled into the current top 6.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

I've been saying for a while now that Greig will be the perfect compliment to Stutzle. Pinto will be 3rd line C or 2nd B. Pinto's faceoff and 2 way physical prowess too good to remove from down the middle. I fully expect Greig to replace Giroux or Batherson(only cause I think we will lose someone in top 6) in the future in our top 6. I see these as potential fixture combinations moving forward:

Tkachuk-Norris
Greig-Stutzle
Formenton/Joseph-Pinto

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Not going to lie, a Greig-Pinto-Joseph line kinda makes me giddy thinking about it. I like Formenton a lot, love what he brings but I think Greig will be better and he and Pinto could be a second line playing as a third line and that's exciting. No, not right away but closer than some think and I would be happy to see them together at some point this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad