Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
DJ is going to love the Ridlier … he may make it hard to cut out of camp.

Entering his D+3 season … he may skip the AHL like Pinto, Jimmy, and Brady before him.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
DJ is going to love the Ridlier … he may make it hard to cut out of camp.

Entering his D+3 season … he may skip the AHL like Pinto, Jimmy, and Brady before him.
I think he will get the Erik Karlsson treatment.

Crack opening day roster, but get sent down for some seasoning before becoming a full time NHLer.

GoSenatorsGo

Nov 9, 2007
I know it’s still very early and A LOT can happen.. but that 2020 first round for the Sens has the potential to go down as one of the best first rounds in recent history not only for the Sens but in the league.
Stützle
Sanderson
Grieg

This could be on par with 2003 Philly and Anahiem level of selection

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think he will get the Erik Karlsson treatment.

Crack opening day roster, but get sent down for some seasoning before becoming a full time NHLer.
Really depends on teams health and trades imo. Hard to keep him up if you've only got 4th line spots up for grabs. He's going to need to show he's well ahead of Formenton, Pinto or Joseph to force any of them off the third imo. No harm in him getting time in the AHL until he forces us make room for him, but he's definitely the first call up for the top 9

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Ostapchuk - Greig - Pinto
Going to be absolutely nasty in a very short amount of time.

I think there is just no way Pinto doesn't play C. He's as big of a shoe in as Norris, imo.

Your post, though, shows we have talent potentially bursting through the seams. Let us say(worst case) we end up losing Batherson due to cap when he needs to re-up, and Formenton due to trade.

Greig-Stutzle-DeBrincat
Tkachuk-Norris-Sokolov/Jarventie/Joseph
Ostapchuk-Pinto-Joseph/Boucher

We don't need stars throughout, just strong role players to high-end duo's we will have on each line. Think TB. Not to mention weaponizing our future 1st round picks for great deadline pickups, or retained assets. Plus the above roster means Chabot-Sanderson-Chychrun level D.

Or maybe Pinto/Grieg/Ostap emerge as serious C threat and make Batherson expendable. Point is we have options to remain a serious threat for a long time.

Exciting times ahead.

Last edited:
Reactions: God Says No

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I think there is just no way Pinto doesn't play C. He's as big of a shoe in as Norris, imo.

I think he could play RW and still take 70+% of the draws. I also think playing wing could benefit him if he continues to have injury issues. There's nothing necessarily wrong with kicking him out to the wing.

It is also a line where all three can play C but I think it benefits all three playing in a position that allows them to play to their strengths. Pinto's shot is great, Greig's creativity and playmaking are his best offensive quality, and Ostapchuk makes a ton of space with his size.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
doesn't really make sense to have Greig in the lineup unless someone gets injured

Joseph and Formenton are much better options right now on the 3rd line and you don't want to stunt his development like Lazar

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
doesn't really make sense to have Greig in the lineup unless someone gets injured

Joseph and Formenton are much better options right now on the 3rd line

No question. Greig should spend 20-50 games in AHL minimum. Will do wonders for him. Though, he is likely ready from the start and might force DJ hand to put him in 4th line and alternate players depending on their play.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
No question. Greig should spend 20-50 games in AHL minimum. Will do wonders for him. Though, he is likely ready from the start and might force DJ hand to put him in 4th line and alternate players depending on their play.

It’s not an automatic that he will need the AHL …. Pinto didn’t in his d+3 year … Jimmy and Brady skipped it entirely. Bath, Norris, and Formy benefited from their time in Belleville.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It’s not an automatic that he will need the AHL …. Pinto didn’t in his d+3 year … Jimmy and Brady skipped it entirely. Bath, Norris, and Formy benefited from their time in Belleville.
I would say it would have been smarter to start Pinto in the AHL but our roster was so dry at centre that we had to have him up here.

Not the same case for Greig

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
No interest in Grieg making team out of camp.

Learn to dominate in the AHL, then come up.

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
I mean if he's dominating out of camp you have to at least give him a cup of coffee with the big club. Otherwise though, I agree, the NHL isn't a development league.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I mean if he's dominating out of camp you have to at least give him a cup of coffee with the big club. Otherwise though, I agree, the NHL isn't a development league.

The Sens have a tonne of exhibition games and he should get more than enough time for the Sens to properly evaluate where his game is.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
1660227949566.jpeg

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
No interest in Grieg making team out of camp.

Learn to dominate in the AHL, then come up.
If he makes the team out of camp or at least gets a 9 game try out its because he deserves it so why wouldn't you want him being mentored by Brady and the boys? I feel like Greig getting a taste of the NHL will only make him hungrier and a better player.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
If our young talent reach their potential we are going to have a real salary cap problem.

Debrincat
Greig
Pinto
Sanderson
Stutzle

Not sure how we are going to sign all these guys... To me they are all likely part of the "core"

That's why I believe Formenton, Brannstrom, etc are going to be moved

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If he makes the team out of camp or at least gets a 9 game try out its because he deserves it so why wouldn't you want him being mentored by Brady and the boys? I feel like Greig getting a taste of the NHL will only make him hungrier and a better player.
I don’t think the 9-10 game thing matters - he’s not going back to the CHL.

Reactions: Bevans

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Obviously in a choice between him being in AHL or being an NHL superstar I prefer the latter.

I just think a realistic NHL start would involve missing a suspension game, playing under 12 min, and being healthied.

I just prefer the over ripening model to the taste testing model, personally.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
Really depends on teams health and trades imo. Hard to keep him up if you've only got 4th line spots up for grabs. He's going to need to show he's well ahead of Formenton, Pinto or Joseph to force any of them off the third imo. No harm in him getting time in the AHL until he forces us make room for him, but he's definitely the first call up for the top 9
I am reading between the lines that we might be missing Formenton in the lineup.

I could be absolutely be wrong, and I hope I am, but the fact that we have heard crickets about him and an extension, that he has disappeared from Social Media (Batherson is still liking, being tagged etc), leads me to believe there might be a reason why. (I also suspect that the majority of those involved had ties to the London Knights, but nothing concrete).

Greig SHOULD also be in game shape coming into training camp, which will be an advantage. Going from WJC to Rookie Camp to main camp, he’s going to be flying out there.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
If our young talent reach their potential we are going to have a real salary cap problem.

Debrincat
Greig
Pinto
Sanderson
Stutzle

Not sure how we are going to sign all these guys... To me they are all likely part of the "core"

That's why I believe Formenton, Brannstrom, etc are going to be moved
Having really good players is never a problem.

All of these guys are under control beyond the end of their contracts. Senators have many options.

Reactions: SensFactor

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Where do you play him? the 4th line?? That would completely stunt the development of his offensive game. I'd much prefer he play 1st line minutes in the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad