Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He almost made the big team last year. I think you'll be surprised how many games he plays in the AHL this year.

I'm a big believer in Greig, but in no way has he proven he's too good for the AHL. AHL wasn't an option last year, so they had to choose between NHL and CHL and if they chose CHL it was a final decision, no calling him up. Had AHL been an option, he'd might have gone there and gotten some callups.

The reality is he's not even destroying the CHL; although a very good player in that league he was not even too good for that league little lone the AHL, I don't see how on earth you can think he's too good for the AHL, so many better prospects than him have spent time in the AHL, it's a good league, very few players are too good for it at 19-20 yrs old.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Most teams who develop younger skilled guys usually put them at best on the third line. The AHL main purpose is to develop NHL players that's it. We might as well let him get top six minutes there let him prove himself on the third line then ease him into the top six if he's good enough.

I understand all of that. I'm saying the org is enamored with Greig and he'll most likely make the big team out of camp.

Also, rookies starting on the 3rd line is not as standard as you make it sound it to be. There are many instance of rookies starting on the 4th line.

I'm a big believer in Greig, but in no way has he proven he's too good for the AHL. AHL wasn't an option last year, so they had to choose between NHL and CHL and if they chose CHL it was a final decision, no calling him up. Had AHL been an option, he'd might have gone there and gotten some callups.

The reality is he's not even destroying the CHL; although a very good player in that league he was not even too good for that league little lone the AHL, I don't see how on earth you can think he's too good for the AHL, so many better prospects than him have spent time in the AHL, it's a good league, very few players are too good for it at 19-20 yrs old.

Fair points, but I'm taking my cues from the messages from the org. Like I said, we shall see.

Reactions: Sweatred

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I guess I remember it differently, but there was talk of keeping to start the season with the big club. But I'm sure you got links to provide your view point since you are so sure.
He got suspended for 2 games in the preseason, if they were going to keep him it was to waste the 1 game suspension, which they never did.

They had no intentions of keeping him up, they admitted straight up they wanted him in the WHL so he could have success at the World Juniors.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He got suspended for 2 games in the preseason, if they were going to keep him it was to waste the 1 game suspension, which they never did.

They had no intentions of keeping him up, the admitted straight up they wanted him in the WHL so he could have success at the World Juniors.

Oh man, I'd forgotten about the 1 game suspension he still needs to serve. lol, but what a move for the goal in that game.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

They had no intentions of keeping him up, they admitted straight up they wanted him in the WHL so he could have success at the World Juniors.

Yip, there was that. But also they considered keeping him for the 9 games. In any case, I'm just reading the tea leaves that the org is high on him and he's always been pushed to play in higher leagues. Perhaps I was wrong in my memory that he almost made the team.

I still stand that if he outplays Kelly in camp, he'll make the team. And there is nothing wrong with that.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

I don't know if I agree with your assessment of his play in the CHL - third in the WHL in ppg, would have been 8th in the Q and 8th in the OHL. He's a top 20 scorer in the CHL and if you take out the overage players he's top 10. But definitely right about the AHL. Marchand logged a full season in the A and parts of another season before making the leap to full time status with the Bruins. The AHL will be really good for him plus maybe a couple of earned callups, barring disastrous injuries to the NHL roster.

Reactions: Cosmix

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
I guess I remember it differently, but there was talk of keeping to start the season with the big club. But I'm sure you got links to provide your view point since you are so sure.
I recall him being amazing in the pre season game, until he let his emotions get the better of him and got suspended. Then you could read between the lines of him needing more time to mature and fully learn the role of the pest - while also having legit skillz.

His goal was phat as shit. He's gonna be a wonderful player, but I also think he needs 40 games or so with Mann to work on all aspects. And not only that, hit to hurt, sure, but never, ever cross that line where you're being called in for a hearing, because once you start down that road...

Reactions: God Says No

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
The better the bottom six the better the team is, I don't see Greig on the 4th line at all, but eventually somewhere in the top 9. I think he starts the yr in the AHL depending on what happens with Formenton & Batherson taking the same path as Norris. If he has a good yr than we'll see where he fits in moving forward. They have two good top lines & need to create a very good 3rd line that is responsible defensively & can add pts offensively too.

I would much rather see Sokolov replace Watson at 4th line RD, Kastelic replace Gambrell at 4th line C & have then make a trade to bring in a very good 4th line LW player who can also be an enforcer when they need that in Crouse. They have the assets & they will need an enforcer at some point once Watson is gone. Of course, their main priority at the moment is the defence & improving it substantially. Hopefully, the goaltending has improved dramatically as well.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yip, there was that. But also they considered keeping him for the 9 games. In any case, I'm just reading the tea leaves that the org is high on him and he's always been pushed to play in higher leagues. Perhaps I was wrong in my memory that he almost made the team.

I still stand that if he outplays Kelly in camp, he'll make the team. And there is nothing wrong with that.

Generally I agree with you… I think If Greig crushes training camp he will put him self in a position to make the team. On the other hand, I doubt Greig plays 4LW minutes with the Sens so it will take an injury, trade, or a Formy issue for 3LW to be open.

Reactions: God Says No

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Keep him up for 1 game to burn his suspension, then send to Belleville.

Don’t need the suspension in the way when you want to call him up.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Is Grieg going to this August make up World Juniors, or not? From what I read, it seems like any player scheduled to attend an NHL camp in September is taking a pass on the World Juniors. Apparently Canada is now down 15 players and counting. I'd be curious to know if the NHL teams are advising players not to go, or leaving it up to them. (My guess is the former.)

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Keep him up for 1 game to burn his suspension, then send to Belleville.

Don’t need the suspension in the way when you want to call him up.

He’s D+3 now … if he shows he can contribute to this team having a good start and demonstrate that his developmental will continue on the same or better path there is nothing wrong with playing him to start the season.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Wrong. If he shows by his play in camp that he is ready to play 4th line in the NHL, he should still be sent to the AHL.

We all know he’s not going to make the team and play 7 minutes a night - that’s a useless point that has already been addressed in this thread.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
We all know he’s not going to make the team and play 7 minutes a night - that’s a useless point that has already been addressed in this thread.
Hadn’t been addressed when I responded to your bad take.

Good in Osgoode

Jan 15, 2018
Osgoode
Is Grieg going to this August make up World Juniors, or not? From what I read, it seems like any player scheduled to attend an NHL camp in September is taking a pass on the World Juniors. Apparently Canada is now down 15 players and counting. I'd be curious to know if the NHL teams are advising players not to go, or leaving it up to them. (My guess is the former.)
Would the number of players dropping from the World Juniors, was curious to see if this might open up a potential spot for Zack Ostapchuk (who is currently on the Summer Camp Roster)?

Reactions: Larionov

kellmuff96

Sep 13, 2010
I think he'll do about a half season in the AHL though the full year wouldnt hurt. AHL time did wonders for Norris, Batherson, Formenton, etc. No need to rush him IMO though I think he forces managements hand with his play this year tbh,

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Give him the same road our recent graduated top 9 went through in Batherson/Norris/Formenton - 20-40 games in NHL pending injuries, 40-60 in AHL pending WJHC...etc.

Could argue Pinto could have benefited from half a season in the AHL.

I like what we're doing with the other fringe guys like Lassi, JBD and to a degree even Brannstrom (who may have been rushed a bit but also showed to be too good for the AHL.).

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think he'll do about a half season in the AHL though the full year wouldnt hurt. AHL time did wonders for Norris, Batherson, Formenton, etc. No need to rush him IMO though I think he forces managements hand with his play this year tbh,

I think Greig should play in the AHL for the entire season to allow him to age and mature for another year (put on some weight and muscle). Then in 2023-24 he can compete for a spot.

We have the following roster for next season:

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Debrincat - Stutzle - Giroux
Formenton - Pinto - Joseph
Kelly - Gambrell - Watson

Potential 13th Forward: Kastelic

Chabot - Zub
Brannstrom - Hamonic
Sanderson - Zaitsev

7th D: Holden

Forsberg
Talbot

There is no need to rush him and risk injuries.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I think Greig should play in the AHL for the entire season to allow him to age and mature for another year (put on some weight and muscle). Then in 2023-24 he can compete for a spot.

We have the following roster for next season:

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Debrincat - Stutzle - Giroux
Formenton - Pinto - Joseph
Kelly - Gambrell - Watson

Potential 13th Forward: Kastelic

Chabot - Zub
Brannstrom - Hamonic
Sanderson - Zaitsev

7th D: Holden

Forsberg
Talbot

There is no need to rush him and risk injuries.

I'm mostly on board with this. I'd have Zaitsev out and Holden in at 3RD and, depending on how Sanderson looks early he'd move up to the second pairing.

Reactions: Emrasie

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
A year in the A also allow him to take on more of an offensive role and develop, rather than a dump and chase safe play while killing 30 seconds so the big guns test in the NHL.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
This kid has the swagger and the fearlessness that will have him on the team after training camp ...Just watch

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad