Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I think he needs to mature and fill out a bit.
To play the style he did in junior he will need to pack on some mass but I am curious to see how much bigger he will be at start of camp this year as opposed to last year already.

Love his compete and skill set.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
To play the style he did in junior he will need to pack on some mass but I am curious to see how much bigger he will be at start of camp this year as opposed to last year already.

Love his compete and skill set.
He was still listed as 175 in the dev camp media guide, but I don't think they update the bios for that so it might just be numbers from last year's main camp and combine numbers.

Reactions: OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He was still listed as 175 in the dev camp media guide, but I don't think they update the bios for that so it might just be numbers from last year's main camp and combine numbers.
Ya from what little I have read about the trio of rookies living together they are getting after it pretty good so packing on another 5-7lbs of muscle is doable before main camp.

Just maturing and gaining some, "man strength" and size should happen naturally.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Man 175 is still quite slight for a guy who chases contact like he does. Hopefully he can avoid injuries moving forward.

Reactions: Cosmix

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I think he starts the year in Belleville and then when injuries happen on the big team, as there always are, he'll get a call up and get a handful of games.

Reactions: Keli

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Wrong. If he shows by his play in camp that he is ready to play 4th line in the NHL, he should still be sent to the AHL.

Why? If he proves he's better than Kelly at 4LW then he should be playing over him.

I think it's going to be close who wins that spot.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Wrong. If he shows by his play in camp that he is ready to play 4th line in the NHL, he should still be sent to the AHL.
Depends how he’s going to be utilized on the fourth line. I would rather him first line AHL though for sure

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Why? If he proves he's better than Kelly at 4LW then he should be playing over him.

I think it's going to be close who wins that spot.
What's better 4th line garbage minutes or playing in the top six at the AHL? We used a 1st round pick on Greig who can play either on the 2nd or 3rd line. I'll rather put some useless scrub on the 4th line then waste a valuable asset.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don’t think this team wants its 4th line to be playing “garbage minutes”.

Having said that, everyone has to earn their minutes, and their NHL ice time, and we have a few guys in Belleville that need a good look before Grieg in my opinion.

Jarventie, Crookshank, and Sokolov all need to get the audition treatment this season.

Reactions: Emrasie and aragorn

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I don’t think this team wants its 4th line to be playing “garbage minutes”.

Having said that, everyone has to earn their minutes, and their NHL ice time, and we have a few guys in Belleville that need a good look before Grieg in my opinion.

Jarventie, Crookshank, and Sokolov all need to get the audition treatment this season.

It's going to be hard for our 4th line to get much more than 8-9 minutes, IMO.

BT - Norris - Bath: 18-19 mins each (avg)
DBC - Stü - Giroux: 18-19 mins each (avg)
Formenton - Pinto - Joseph: 13-15 mins each (avg)

That leaves about 21-30 total minutes for the 4th line guys. Not a lot of room there.

Reactions: NB613

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Because he can develop more playing 18-20 mins or whatever in Belleville than he can playing 10 in Ottawa?
What's better 4th line garbage minutes or playing in the top six at the AHL? We used a 1st round pick on Greig who can play either on the 2nd or 3rd line. I'll rather put some useless scrub on the 4th line then waste a valuable asset.

That depends on how you look at things. If he's too good for the AHL (which is something that he's shown so far he is), then playing in the bigs 10 > 20 min in the AHL.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
That depends on how you look at things. If he's too good for the AHL (which is something that he's shown so far he is), then playing in the bigs 10 > 20 min in the AHL.
How on earth has he shown he's too good for the AHL??? He's played 8 games and has 4 pts... Come on now this is getting absurd...

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Most teams who develop younger skilled guys usually put them at best on the third line. The AHL main purpose is to develop NHL players that's it. We might as well let him get top six minutes there let him prove himself on the third line then ease him into the top six if he's good enough.

How on earth has he shown he's too good for the AHL??? He's played 8 games and has 4 pts... Come on now this is getting absurd...
Yeah I'm expecting him to get over a ppg for him to prove he's too good for the AHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad