Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
This kid is going to be a Marchand-level impact player. The fact he gets thrown in to trade proposals on the regular is insane. Teams kill themselves trying to find guys like this through the draft and here's this fanbase ready to hand him over with 2-3 other A+ assets in virtually every trade proposal.
I could see a 2010-2016 Marchand.

Reactions: Emrasie

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
This kid is going to be a Marchand-level impact player. The fact he gets thrown in to trade proposals on the regular is insane. Teams kill themselves trying to find guys like this through the draft and here's this fanbase ready to hand him over with 2-3 other A+ assets in virtually every trade proposal.

You gotta give to get.

No team is going to give their 60-80pt top 6 forward away for Sokolov + Jarventie + Thomson and 7th overall

When the choice is between keeping 1 of Greig vs Pinto it is easily Pinto for me. So Grieg is that high value forward you put in a realistic trade proposal.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

It’s been my prediction for him for a while. Think he settles in closer to 2016 Marchand with potential for the higher level.

I freaking love Greig and been high on him ever since I saw him in the AHL. He’ll be one of Stutzle‘s future wingers. Or Pinto if that becomes an integral line in playoffs.

99ovr

Apr 15, 2021
I don't think we should move Greig unless it's in a package for a legitimate bonafide superstar like Pastrnak.

He for sure has top 6 upside and while I can't confidently say he'll become like 2017-present Marchand, I do feel he will be sneaky good and at 25 has the potential to be an elite player.

The biggest reason is confidence, Marchand isn't an elite player because he's insanely skilled, it's because his confidence is out of this world. It takes that kind of confidence to be a 5'9 player and pest it up with the best of them. I see the same thing in Greig, and even in Boucher to be honest.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I don't think we should move Greig unless it's in a package for a legitimate bonafide superstar like Pastrnak.

He for sure has top 6 upside and while I can't confidently say he'll become like 2017-present Marchand, I do feel he will be sneaky good and at 25 has the potential to be an elite player.

The biggest reason is confidence, Marchand isn't an elite player because he's insanely skilled, it's because his confidence is out of this world. It takes that kind of confidence to be a 5'9 player and pest it up with the best of them. I see the same thing in Greig, and even in Boucher to be honest.

What I like about Grieg is that regardless of whether he has top six upside, he can play in the bottom six.

We need a lot of flexibility with some of our prospects in order to find places for them in the line-up.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
What I like about Grieg is that regardless of whether he has top six upside, he can play in the bottom six.

We need a lot of flexibility with some of our prospects in order to find places for them in the line-up.
Sens have alot of this type of player in the system. Grieg/Pinto are the two best but they have a few others too. Which is why I think they can really take a swing with this pick at a highly gifted offensive player even if they are undersized. Why I dont want Kasper/Gauthier.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I dont really see that. Norris, Stutzle, Pinto, Gambrell and Kastelic. Grieg should start in the AHL, the sens need a scorer, he needs reps in pro rushing his development doesnt really make sense right now.
In theory I agree and expect(prefer) he goes to A for a while but if he shows he deserves to be on the big club that is a great development.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I dont really see that. Norris, Stutzle, Pinto, Gambrell and Kastelic. Grieg should start in the AHL, the sens need a scorer, he needs reps in pro rushing his development doesnt really make sense right now.

Not to mention, we need to extend out our ELC contracts a bit.

Reactions: Cosmix and bert

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Not to mention, we need to extend out our ELC contracts a bit.

He was already one of the best players in Belleville for his short stint there during COVID though according to Mann.

I’m not against him putting some time in at that level at all, but at the same time, if he makes the team out of camp he should make the team as opposed to keeping him down artificially.

We have room in the wing for upgrades, even if we do pick up a top 6 player.

Reactions: KnuckChuckinTkachuk

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I’m not against him putting some time in at that level at all, but at the same time, if he makes the team out of camp he should make the team as opposed to keeping him down artificially.

I don't know, I think we have to start getting a bit strategic now that our line-up is starting to fill up with more long-term options.

Eventually we're going to want guys on ELC contracts that can contribute in the NHL playoffs.

A year in the AHL (particularly with a playoff run included) would help IMO.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think they'll start Greig as a winger tbh and move him to center as he acclimates to the NHL game so I'm not sure Norris, Stu Pinto and Kastelic block him.

You're probably still right that he starts in the AHL though.

Reactions: Cosmix

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
the funny thing about post breakout Marchand is that he was scoring at about the same EV strength rate as pre breakout Marchand.

AKA he was already a star and the only thing that changed was the he started getting first line powerplay minutes.

Really makes you think about guys like Norris, Tkachuk, and Batherson too.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What's the 10 games in the NHL thing?
If they are under the age of 20, they can play 9 games or less before being sent back to the CHL or Europe. Like Formenton did those two years, amd Zib did his 18 year old season.

Grieg could have played 9 games either this season or last amd been sent back to junior without his ELC starting, as soon as you start in a pro league at 20 in NA your ELc starts.

If he plays in Belleville his ELC will start, like Sokolov’s, Reinhardt’s, Kastelic’s, etc.

Reactions: DrEasy and RaMai

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If they are under the age of 20, they can play 9 games or less before being sent back to the CHL or Europe. Like Formenton did those two years, amd Zib did his 18 year old season.

Grieg could have played 9 games either this season or last amd been sent back to junior without his ELC starting, as soon as you start in a pro league at 20 in NA your ELc starts.

If he plays in Belleville his ELC will start, like Sokolov’s, Reinhardt’s, Kastelic’s, etc.

Thank you kindly, I guess I had assumed he was still young because of all of the WJC talk.

Reactions: BondraTime

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
He should 100% play in Belleville. We should make it a point that 90% of our prospects spend time there. Heck even Sanderson should get some games there.

At the moment I have him projected long term on the third line for now

Formenton-Pinto-Greig

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
He should 100% play in Belleville. We should make it a point that 90% of our prospects spend time there. Heck even Sanderson should get some games there.

At the moment I have him projected long term on the third line for now

Formenton-Pinto-Greig

Particularly since the NHL isn’t a development league as Smith is fond of saying. Wouldn’t want Greig to stagnate.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
He will see games due to the inevitable injury bug at some point, but yes, off to Belleville for the Riddler!

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
You gotta give to get.

No team is going to give their 60-80pt top 6 forward away for Sokolov + Jarventie + Thomson and 7th overall

When the choice is between keeping 1 of Greig vs Pinto it is easily Pinto for me. So Grieg is that high value forward you put in a realistic trade proposal.

Something, something... DeBrincat?

• Haha
Reactions: Sun God Nika

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad