Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Not sure what your talking about, Karlsson played those playoffs on one leg, he missed time before the playoffs started with the injury, and had cortisone shots during the playoffs. We all knew he was injured.
Missed the start of the next season I thought.
Ya, didn't he have two broken bones or foot injuries during that playoff run?

The debates on how long the rebuild has taken seem needlessly over complicated. If you just go with the date that the star, franchise player was traded, you have a clear start date. Just apply that definition to ALL rebuilds (to compare apples to apples) and you are golden.

So, in our case, the rebuild started Sept, 2018 when Karlsson was traded.

The arguments whether its been 4 years or 5 years are a little bit of splitting hairs. But, from a bottom line perspective, if Dorion is still around through this season, and the Senators don't make the playoffs, that is bad by any standard

Reactions: Golden_Jet

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We need to get better. We cant just have signings that “play alright”. We need signings that make us better in a tangible way.

Im Not ready to call Hamonic a good move.
While I agree that is also going to be expensive & there will always be those who are upset by whoever gets traded & how they could have been great here. Lots of people are still pissed about Balcers being moved & Dahlin & the list goes on. I'm just saying we don't really know what goes on behind the scenes, who is willing to come here & who isn't & what the cost will be until after the fact & then we go crazy.

Giroux would be great because he would cost no assets, Fiala on the other hand will likely cost a good young asset & more without us knowing how long he would plan to stay here. I'm all for making the team better, acquiring Dadonov was suppose to make us better & lots of people loved the move until they saw him play here. I'm quite sure PD is under the gun now to do something this off season but how that turns out is anybodies guess. As people have pointed out it's hit & miss with signings & trades & this team desperately needs a few more hits.

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
No but he got an assist and a pen, it also maybe his last game of the season BSens down 3-1 after 2

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
From what I was hearing on the radio he had a strong game and was involved everywhere.

Love this kid and can't imagine he last even 1 full season in the AHL before making the big club.

We are going to have a significant skill injection next season.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
I thought he was ok. Hard to come in and make a large impact. He will always be noticeable because of his ply still. He’s a little sloppy with the puck

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
While I agree that is also going to be expensive & there will always be those who are upset by whoever gets traded & how they could have been great here. Lots of people are still pissed about Balcers being moved & Dahlin & the list goes on. I'm just saying we don't really know what goes on behind the scenes, who is willing to come here & who isn't & what the cost will be until after the fact & then we go crazy.

Giroux would be great because he would cost no assets, Fiala on the other hand will likely cost a good young asset & more without us knowing how long he would plan to stay here. I'm all for making the team better, acquiring Dadonov was suppose to make us better & lots of people loved the move until they saw him play here. I'm quite sure PD is under the gun now to do something this off season but how that turns out is anybodies guess. As people have pointed out it's hit & miss with signings & trades & this team desperately needs a few more hits.

I am prepared to be underwhelmed again.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
He's going to be an NHLer. But he's a career bottom 6 guy to me.
Personally I wish we woulda taken an actual chance instead of going for the safe low risk low reward pick.

There is nothing wrong when teams take good bottom 6 players with early round picks. Good players find a way to contribute in any role … Ridley will be more valuable than a lottery gamble on a possible scoring threat.

Last edited:

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
There is nothing wrong when teams take good bottom 6 players with early round picks. Good players find a way to contribute in any role … Ridley will be more valuable than a lottery pick on a scoring threat.
I think Greig has potential to be more than a bottom 6 player. He could become a Marchand or Gallagher type player due to his willingness to play a physical game and drive to the net. I have high hopes for him.

Reactions: Berri UQAM

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think Greig has potential to be more than a bottom 6 player. He could become a Marchand or Gallagher type player due to his willingness to play a physical game and drive to the net. I have high hopes for him.
Possible … but I doubt that … but elite third liners are special .

You’ve got a hockey team when your third line is Pinto + Greig with Formenton or a Boucher or whoever

Reactions: Cosmix

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
I am a Greig Stan. This kid is gonna be a stud for us, I have no doubts. I try and catch about 20 Pats games a season (Damn it Bedard, why are you so good and why can't you be a Senator) and always try and watch games when Sens prospects are in town. Greig is a clear standout on the ice. I remember feeling the same way watching Stone where he just always around the puck and making things happen. He was 3rd in the WHL in pts/g and 2nd in PIMs/g for a reason. On a team much worse than the teams guys who scored more were on as well. I think his injury that caused him to miss most of the back half of the season maybe caused him to drop off some peoples radars but Greig making the team out of camp wouldn't surprise me but I do expect 1 year in the AHL for some seasoning

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I am a Greig Stan. This kid is gonna be a stud for us, I have no doubts. I try and catch about 20 Pats games a season (Damn it Bedard, why are you so good and why can't you be a Senator) and always try and watch games when Sens prospects are in town. Greig is a clear standout on the ice. I remember feeling the same way watching Stone where he just always around the puck and making things happen. He was 3rd in the WHL in pts/g and 2nd in PIMs/g for a reason. On a team much worse than the teams guys who scored more were on as well. I think his injury that caused him to miss most of the back half of the season maybe caused him to drop off some peoples radars but Greig making the team out of camp wouldn't surprise me but I do expect 1 year in the AHL for some seasoning
Every time I watch this kid I come away impressed. Going to be a great player for us imo.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
He's remarkably strong on his feet for a guy who's only listed at 172lbs.
Another guy like that in the 2022 NHL draft is Liam Arnsby. The combine listed him at 5'10.25 and 170 lbs. If you watch Arnsby's hits or his ability to pin guys against the boards and protect the puck it is pretty impressive.

Greig has mentioned in interviews that he has had a hard time gaining weight so he could still be putting in all the work and gaining a considerable amount of strength but maybe not the mass to go with it. It is certainly impressive to see players be so physically effective when they are listed as being lighter but some of them are going to be strong and powerful and that will allow them to be successful at the higher levels.

I guess another thing to consider is that if a player like Greig is this effective physically at 172 lbs what might he be like if he gets to 190 or 200 lbs. He will certainly add some mass over his career so he will be pretty strong regardless but it could also be an indication that relatively speaking he might end up stronger and more powerful than players at the same weight.

Reactions: Sweatred

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
He is living and training with Jake Sanderson and Tyler Boucher in Ottawa this summer and has been since the offseason started. Those three will do a good job of pushing each other and the fact that they are staying in Ottawa is an indication that they are really dedicated to try to make the team come training camp. I am looking forward to seeing how they perform.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Another guy like that in the 2022 NHL draft is Liam Arnsby. The combine listed him at 5'10.25 and 170 lbs. If you watch Arnsby's hits or his ability to pin guys against the boards and protect the puck it is pretty impressive.

Greig has mentioned in interviews that he has had a hard time gaining weight so he could still be putting in all the work and gaining a considerable amount of strength but maybe not the mass to go with it. It is certainly impressive to see players be so physically effective when they are listed as being lighter but some of them are going to be strong and powerful and that will allow them to be successful at the higher levels.

I guess another thing to consider is that if a player like Greig is this effective physically at 172 lbs what might he be like if he gets to 190 or 200 lbs. He will certainly add some mass over his career so he will be pretty strong regardless but it could also be an indication that relatively speaking he might end up stronger and more powerful than players at the same weight.

What did our trainers do to help out Turris? He was a flyweight but was remarkably durable and surprisingly storng on the ice for a number of years with us. Decent chance to get Greig on a newer version of that regimen (he probably is already) and he should be alright at the NHL level.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

Greig = Darcy Tucker + Mike Peca

He will be a menace to play against and put up decent points. I think he has generally been very underrated here and will be an instant fan favourite.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad