Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
we've been finishing low and picking high for the last 5 years. that is the entire context of why we have one of the best under 25 groups in the nhl.

because the nhl has a system in place where the worst teams in the league have first dibs on the new talent that comes into hockey every year. we have been one of the worst teams in the league for the last 5 years.

That’s no really what “tanking” means though. Tanking is a purposeful bottoming out.

We had two years of bottom finishes that were absolutely not expected or desired.

Then we have had three years of bottom finishes that were expected, and desired.

One of the worst teams over the last 5 years makes more sense as a phrase, though those 5 years are also really a tale of two teams during that span.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
That’s no really what “tanking” means though. Tanking is a purposeful bottoming out.

We had two years of bottom finishes that were absolutely not expected or desired.

Then we have had three years of bottom finishes that were expected, and desired.

One of the worst teams over the last 5 years makes more sense as a phrase, though those 5 years are also really a tale of two teams during that span.

really? you could see it a mile off.

The tank began two months after Dorion traded for Duchene. That was in 2017, its 2022.

5 years, 4 years , whatever. We've been finishing low and accumulating picks for nearly half a decade.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
really? you could see it a mile off.

No you couldn’t, calling serious bullshit on that one.

We weren’t as good as almost making the cup finals, but we had no business being bottom 2 in the league.

It was an unmitigated disaster that turns out was born out of a locker room melt down and a frigid coach who was ill equipped to be part of a solution.

No one foresaw that complete melt down.

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
No you couldn’t, calling serious bullshit on that one.

We weren’t as good as almost making the cup finals, but we had no business being bottom 2 in the league.

It was an unmitigated disaster that turns out was born out of a locker room melt down and a frigid coach who was ill equipped to be part of a solution.

No one foresaw that complete melt down.

I said it then that that conf finals team was a joke carried by a generational player and stingy coaching. the goal differential for 5 on 5 Karlsson on/off was like +17 on to -22 off. that is disgusting and the mark of a bottom dweller. good thing Karlsson was a defenceman who could play half the game. He would have won the Smythe automatically if the Senators won one more game.

When a team is trash and is carried by one player who undergoes a serious career altering injury + whose d-partner isn't replaced, it is easy to see the obvious melt down.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Yes that’s absolutely true. The best faceoff guy we have in the system is Kastelic but he’s not a future PP guy. Between Norris, Pinto hopefully and Kastelic I think we are good for special teams draws.

Counting out Stutzle is premature.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Well, like in every corporation where big dollars are in play, this a business of results. Maybe the goaltending and chemistry are there right now but still too many ingredients of the RECIPE missing to have a good team, as evidenced by the results. 0.409 P% on the season (26th) and 0.563 P% since when we turned things around on December 2nd (17th). As you could see the last 2 games, we're not contender level yet.

I certainly wouldn't say that our depth and coaching are "great" or that our cap management has been smart

And please, I am not TRASHING Dorion. I have never insulted him like many have done before. I am rightfully criticizing his work as a NHL GM (I maintain that he is under qualified for the position)

Well, it'd be naïve to think that this was not Melnyk decision... And what do you mean a GM should get credit for doing that?

I gave him credit for Connor Brown and Artem Zub in the last page. Outside of firesale trading (which is the easiest thing to do for a GM, hard to screw up, but Dorion actually did on a few guys), compare the lists of GOOD and BAD Dorion moves

What are we missing?

Please explain what is not legit about criticizing Dorion? I haven't even mocked him (or barely) for the "we are a team" PR disaster. Why is there so many people defending him that much? Is it just because he looks "friendly"? lol there's only 32 GM jobs available, it should be for the best pro hockey managers. If he fails or not, he will still be friendly to me.

If the Sens won the Cup in 2017, would you have attributed it to Dorion? Would it have been because he traded Zibanejad + 2nd for Brassard + Dahlen for Burrows?

Going deep into the playoffs is almost the bare minimum required to not be a failure... I mean, he took the whole franchise wealth and went into a VERY LONG scorched earth rebuild. Making the playoffs a few times and winning a few rounds would not be enough. Next year will be his 7th year as the Sens GM. Murray only had the luxury to "rebuild on the fly", yet we made the playoffs 5/9 times and won 3 rounds. Dorion has been in a much more favorable position... and his team isn't going anywhere yet (even though he inherited a wealth of assets)

Frankly no idea what this means

The results that you measure now are not on ice, they are within the context of the rebuild and in that sense they are looking very good. I know people expected the on ice results to come sooner but you gotta cut some slack for what 3 seasons of COVID has done, and yes we were hit especially hard this year and last and the fact that we are a young team wasn't good for us. Its possible PD (and Melnyk) saw the writing on the wall and prolonged the tank mentality and I wouldn't fault them for that.

There are teams that languish in rebuild mode for seemingly ever and there are teams that languish on the outside looking in and never quite hit rock bottom enough to properly rebuild. We should be grateful that when we cut bait on EK we took the scorched earth approach and, it appears, didn't fall into the trap of either. Sure you can hypothesize that that was simply a result of Melnyk being cheap but its a bit naive (and inherently negative) to not attribute some positive currency to the full tear down approach and subsequent rebuild, and to me that currency is paid to PD, to a fair degree at least. There was a plan when EK was shipped out, maybe call it a blueprint even, and that has worked. Is there no credit to go around for that? Is it just dumb luck that we are where we are?

What is not legit about criticizing Dorion, you ask? Well I didn't say that. I fully understand a certain level of criticism and can get on board with some of it. However, I'll bite and say it isn't legit because time hasn't told the whole story yet. We went through a rebuild and are coming out of it. To draw all your conclusions now is like reading 2/3 of the book and then writing a review on it without reading to the end. You cannot measure his performance on this chapter of team history until we are through it, which is coming now that we are starting our upswing.

If the SENS won the cup in 2017 yes, I would have given him credit for the moves he made because they played a part, absolutely. In fact, I do the Zbad trade over again because I wouldn't tamper with the ingredients that got us one goal away from the Stanley Cup finals. I know that's not a popular opinion but that was an incredible run that is a big part of my SENS history and from a philosophical perspective, I'm not changing the things that put that course of events in motion. But that's just me.

You can't hold Murray up as a positive model against PD because under Murray we didn't win a cup so his rebuilding on the fly was an abject failure. That's a losing argument immediately. But by giving PD a bit of a leash on what a long playoff run would do for his legacy you're opening the door for eventually accepting his work as a success. You're attributing your own terms and that's perfectly reasonable, we all have them, but in that statement you are saying exactly what I'm saying, let time play out and we will see. That's more reasonable and I think you should carry that positive perspective a little higher. IF this team goes deep Dorion gets the credit. We can agree 100% on that. I just choose to believe it will happen, you seem to believe things of his doing will get in the way.

Glass half full vs glass half empty. Pretty much sums it up, no? You're a glass half empty kind of person when it comes to the future of this team?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I said it then that that conf finals team was a joke carried by a generational player and stingy coaching. the goal differential for 5 on 5 Karlsson on/off was like +17 on to -22 off. that is disgusting and the mark of a bottom dweller. good thing Karlsson was a defenceman who could play half the game. He would have won the Smythe automatically if the Senators won one more game.

When a team is trash and is carried by one player who undergoes a serious career altering injury + whose d-partner isn't replaced, it is easy to see the obvious melt down.

Well, I won’t bother to go down this road any further as I never really liked that particular iteration of Sens team.

I stand by my point that no one anticipated that that team, as broken as it was, was about to plummet to the bottom of the league. They were less likely of that than the current habs squad we’re watching do the same.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Well, I won’t bother to go down this road any further as I never really liked that particular iteration of Sens team.

I stand by my point that no one anticipated that that team, as broken as it was, was about to plummet to the bottom of the league. They were less likely of that than the current habs squad we’re watching do the same.

Agreed. And Karlsson's injury played a big role in the plummet including missing the first 10+ games of the season. Had Karlsson been the same player we would not have struggled the same way but it was the 17-18 season where signs started to show that he wouldn't be the same and that set the tear down in motion.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

What career altering injury are we talking about here? Surely you're not referencing the Cooke incident.

You're referencing the ankle incident. You're altering the story to fit your narrative. Karlsson played those playoffs without a real hint of the severity of that injury.

That summer he had a unique surgery. He returned and put up a bunch of points early. There was no widely held sense that it was career altering. No sir. I was one of very few people on this board noting his skating wasn't the same in the fall of 2017 and was criticized for saying so. Fast forward to summer of 2018. I was one of very few people openly advocating not resigning him because of the risk associated with injury. This place, and city for that matter, had an epic meltdown when he was traded. I was good with it from the get go. That's all on record, go back and look. Career altering injury is looking back in time. 98% of this board wanted a Brink's truck thrown at Karlsson to re-sign him, regardless of cost.

No, you don't get to say it was all foreseeable. We did not return in September as strong a team as we finished with in June. That was a given. And not uncommon. Internally I'm sure the thinking was we get to the TDL and add. But a meltdown from ECF to where we finished wasn't foreseeable.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
What career altering injury are we talking about here? Surely you're not referencing the Cooke incident.

You're referencing the ankle incident. You're altering the story to fit your narrative. Karlsson played those playoffs without a real hint of the severity of that injury.

That summer he had a unique surgery. He returned and put up a bunch of points early. There was no widely held sense that it was career altering. No sir. I was one of very few people on this board noting his skating wasn't the same in the fall of 2017 and was criticized for saying so. Fast forward to summer of 2018. I was one of very few people openly advocating not resigning him because of the risk associated with injury. This place, and city for that matter, had an epic meltdown when he was traded. I was good with it from the get go. That's all on record, go back and look. Career altering injury is looking back in time. 98% of this board wanted a Brink's truck thrown at Karlsson to re-sign him, regardless of cost.

No, you don't get to say it was all foreseeable. We did not return in September as strong a team as we finished with in June. That was a given. And not uncommon. Internally I'm sure the thinking was we get to the TDL and add. But a meltdown from ECF to where we finished wasn't foreseeable.

One of the biggest problems in 2017 was that we had to rush Karlsson back from surgery because Methot was in Dallas and our top 4 defensemen to open the season were Ceci, Phaneuf, Oduya and Claesson.

Then Dorion panicked and blew his wad going after Duchene.

Everything crumbled after that.

I believe it was Yost who wrote an article in the summer after the ECF run positing that if you removed Karlsson from the roster - the numbers indicated we were a bottom 10 team, and predicted that we'd miss the playoffs.

It was tough to see as a fan at the time, since we were on such a high after that run, but he turned to be completely right.

Injuries and personal issues essentially removed the "good" Erik Karlsson from the roster, and the team was terrible.

Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015

How about 2 career altering injuries, having a cadavers bone inserted and playing 27 plus minutes each night as the most targeted player in the NHL?

It was clear to anyone that team was carried by Karlsson and any drop in his performance from generational meant that the Senators would drop like rocks because they were a awful team even when they made it to ECF.

It was easy to see Karlsson wouldn't be 100 percent that season. and what does Dorion do? gets him Johnny Oduya as his partner and trades his 1st lol.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Not sure what your talking about, Karlsson played those playoffs on one leg, he missed time before the playoffs started with the injury, and had cortisone shots during the playoffs. We all knew he was injured.
Missed the start of the next season I thought.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I forgot about the acquisition of barely NHL-worthy plug Johnny Oduya to play on the top pairing with Karlsson.
hey hey atleast Chabot had Ron 'DJs favourite player' Hainsey to play with

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
There are so many bad Dorion moves that I don’t even remember all of them
Well to try & balance it out a little & I know that's never popular here, there were also some good ones, Zub, Holden, Joseph, Forsberg, Hamonic, C. Brown & Watson were all decent pick ups that have helped the team. Unfortunately, the bad ones get most of the ink & deservedly so I guess.

It's the same with drafting, people can't get past the Boucher pick while forgetting all the really good picks they did make. But realisticly a team almost has to be super lucky to win the lottery when there is a generational player available as the Leafs, Edm, Pitt, Wash & Chicago have done. Even Tampa got lucky,they didn't win the lottery but picked Hedman 2nd OA & then got super lucky with Kucherov & Point. You have to be good to be lucky & lucky to be good.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Well to try & balance it out a little & I know that's never popular here, there were also some good ones, Zub, Holden, Joseph, Forsberg, Hamonic, C. Brown & Watson were all decent pick ups that have helped the team. Unfortunately, the bad ones get most of the ink & deservedly so I guess.

It's the same with drafting, people can't get past the Boucher pick while forgetting all the really good picks they did make. But realisticly a team almost has to be super lucky to win the lottery when there is a generational player available as the Leafs, Edm, Pitt, Wash & Chicago have done. Even Tampa got lucky,they didn't win the lottery but picked Hedman 2nd OA & then got super lucky with Kucherov & Point. You have to be good to be lucky & lucky to be good.

The player additions you mentioned have been OK but not yielded top performers. They have improved the roster but that improvement has not been enough to make this a playoff team.

Zub was a free UFA pickup and a good acquisition. Holden cost Dadonov which was good after a bad acquisition. Joseph cost Paul. Forsberg was a waiver wire free pickup so OK. Hamonic cost a 3rd round draft pick, which is OK but not a major acquisition. C. Brown with Zaitsev cost the team some plugs which was good. Watson is OK but not the type of policeman I want on the team.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010

Even Edmonton needed FOUR kicks at the can for first overall before getting a franchise altering talent. Lots of luck involved in when you suck.

Ottawa's last #1 overall pick was Chris Phillips. The kind of guy you pick 20th and go, "hey, he was a decent pick". And they didn't choose poorly either, he was indisputably the best choice at #1. Brutal draft.

Reactions: aragorn

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
Daoust's Saint John Sea Dogs lost their first playoff game 3-1, zero points for Daoust

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

We need to get better. We cant just have signings that “play alright”. We need signings that make us better in a tangible way.

Im Not ready to call Hamonic a good move.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad