Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Like I said, there is almost zero chance Greig usurps one of the top 3 C positions.

Foolish statement. He has his work cut out for him, but if he outplays them, and he's a natural C, then one of them is going to go on the way instead.

I see Greig as going on the wing because he is just so freaking diverse that he can be effective anywhere, tbh. Also, his 2 way game is via his great tenacity and IQ, thus Marchand like impact where it almost rivals that of a C but enough to still focus on being a pest and what not. Hard for a C to be a pest because of a lot of duties that befall them.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Foolish statement. He has his work cut out for him, but if he outplays them, and he's a natural C, then one of them is going to go on the way instead.

I see Greig as going on the wing because he is just so freaking diverse that he can be effective anywhere, tbh. Also, his 2 way game is via his great tenacity and IQ, thus Marchand like impact where it almost rivals that of a C but enough to still focus on being a pest and what not. Hard for a C to be a pest because of a lot of duties that befall them.

Naaazz you see Greig on the wing because he isn’t as good as Norris, Jimmy, or Pinto who would could all play wing or center. They are all “diverse”…. but will play Center over Greig. Those guys are older, stronger, further along their developmental curves, better athletes, and will play the position better.

Lines will go into the blender all the time - but if Greig were a better option than Norris or Pinto or whoever he’d play Center.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Naaazz you see Greig on the wing because he isn’t as good as Norris, Jimmy, or Pinto who would could all play wing or center. They are all “diverse”…. but will play Center over Greig. Those guys are older, stronger, further along their developmental curves, better athletes, and will play the position better.

Lines will go into the blender all the time - but if Greig were a better option than Norris or Pinto or whoever he’d play Center.

No. It's because I envision Stutzle as the top line C and he needs creativity with him, and Norris and Pinto are both solid north and south hockey players who wouldn't mesh as well with Stutzle. Greig has greater creativity than them, and would thus be able to handle W and top line assignments with Stutzle better. Norris' style of play better for Tkachuk and Batherson; and Pinto could probably overtake Norris, imo.

Giroux is a better C than anything Philly has after Couturier, so why does he remain at wing with him?

Similarly with Drai playing W with McDavid a lot of the times.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I think it's a compliment to Grieg to say that he can do both. I see a potentially great winger when I watch him too and actually think he'd look amazing with Stutzle. But also think he's got some pretty good potential up the middle. Hard not to see a comparison to Marchand though (no, not as good) as a winger.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
No. It's because I envision Stutzle as the top line C and he needs creativity with him, and Norris and Pinto are both solid north and south hockey players who wouldn't mesh as well with Stutzle. Greig has greater creativity than them, and would thus be able to handle W and top line assignments with Stutzle better. Norris' style of play better for Tkachuk and Batherson; and Pinto could probably overtake Norris, imo.

Giroux is a better C than anything Philly has after Couturier, so why does he remain at wing with him?

Similarly with Drai playing W with McDavid a lot of the times.

I like Greig - but let’s not pretend we can’t make excellent cases for Norris or Pinto to play with Stutzle too. Norris has the teams best release, why not pair that with your most creative playmaker? Norris is an excellent LW option too.

DJ loves strength - I can’t see him shifting away from strength down the middle…. Whoever that is starting next year.

The reason Stutzle stays at Center with Greig isn’t because Greig is more diverse - it’s because Stutzle is the better player at LW and C and Center is the higher leveraged position. At this point if his career CG is more peripheral skilled winger than a Center who can dominate both ends of the ice.

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
This is the perfect opportunity for the team to slow cook a kid. Let Ridly play in Belleville next season and get a full year of the pro game at the AHL level. Then see where he is in 2023-24. Gives him time to get some muscle on his frame and (hopefully) get a lot of icetime on a team and league where he can play in all situations and put up some points. Also gives Ottawa some time to sort out our forward situation and see who suits what position best in a regular 82 game season (knock on wood next year is freaking normal).

No need to rush him when we already have a very young roster. Let him bust down the door and earn a spot down the road.

Reactions: aragorn and Boud

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I like Greig - but let’s not pretend we can’t make excellent cases for Norris or Pinto to play with Stutzle too. Norris has the teams best release, why not pair that with your most creative playmaker? Norris is an excellent LW option too.

DJ loves strength - I can’t see him shifting away from strength down the middle…. Whoever that is starting next year.

The reason Stutzle stays at Center with Greig isn’t because Greig is more diverse - it’s because Stutzle is the better player at LW and C and Center is the higher leveraged position. At this point if his career CG is more peripheral skilled winger than a Center who can dominate both ends of the ice.

We can't. Didn't you just hear about north and south vs creativity? It's like Mike Fisher. Great centerman, just can't put him on the wing. Norris and Pinto are like more skilled Fishers.

Although I think Norris can be a winger, but i don't think his creativity and IQ matches that of Greig. Who has better hands too.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
still think Grieg will surprise us with how NHL ready he is and be an immediate impact.
He won’t surprise me. I think he has a 3rd line floor. Unless he absolutely lights it up in pre season next year I’m hoping he spends the better part of the season in Belleville.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He won’t surprise me. I think he has a 3rd line floor. Unless he absolutely lights it up in pre season next year I’m hoping he spends the better part of the season in Belleville.

wow really. I’m hoping he’s in the lineup. Can’t see 12 better players in the system. Grieg is ahead of Sokolov and Boucher IMO and I think he steps right in

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
wow really. I’m hoping he’s in the lineup. Can’t see 12 better players in the system. Grieg is ahead of Sokolov and Boucher IMO and I think he steps right in
Even if he is our 9th-12th best forward in cap and preseason next year, I would put him in Belleville. I’ll take the longer view and say it’s not about putting the best 12 forwards on the ice but more about getting the best Ridly Greig for the bulk of his career.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Even if he is our 9th-12th best forward in cap and preseason next year, I would put him in Belleville. I’ll take the longer view and say it’s not about putting the best 12 forwards on the ice but more about getting the best Ridly Greig for the bulk of his career.

why does being in the AHL make you better later? Pinto, Tkachuk and Jimmy all stepped straight int the NHL from their dev leagues and Greig is a forward who can do the same. Is playing Gambrell or Gaudette over a player who is the embodiment of the new Sens hockey a good idea? His game is mature enough for the NHL, his skating, hockey sense, offense and compete is all NHL ready.

Greig isn’t going to knock at the door, he’s going to kick it down like Pinto, Tkachuk and Jimmy did

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
why does being in the AHL make you better later? Pinto, Tkachuk and Jimmy all stepped straight int the NHL from their dev leagues and Greig is a forward who can do the same. Is playing Gambrell or Gaudette over a player who is the embodiment of the new Sens hockey.

Greig isn’t going to knock at the door, he’s going to kick it down like Pinto, Tkachuk and Jimmy did

We want him to develop into a scoring player.

Putting him in the NHL too early may lead him to play less risky and more of a grinding role. In the AHL he will not have as much pressure to constantly make the right plays and can afford to be more dynamic.

Reactions: bert and Duncstar

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
why does being in the AHL make you better later? Pinto, Tkachuk and Jimmy all stepped straight int the NHL from their dev leagues and Greig is a forward who can do the same. Is playing Gambrell or Gaudette over a player who is the embodiment of the new Sens hockey a good idea? His game is mature enough for the NHL, his skating, hockey sense, offense and compete is all NHL ready.

Pinto was older and more physically mature. Tkachuk was bigger, stronger and ready. Stu was on another talent tier who had already player in a man’s league. Greig is smaller although as I acknowledged if he is good enough to play a prominent role then him making the club is possible. I just wouldn’t count on it. The step up is massive.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
We can't. Didn't you just hear about north and south vs creativity? It's like Mike Fisher. Great centerman, just can't put him on the wing. Norris and Pinto are like more skilled Fishers.

Although I think Norris can be a winger, but i don't think his creativity and IQ matches that of Greig. Who has better hands too.

Norris looked great in the AHL at left wing - I have zero doubt he would succeed as a 1LW or 2LW if needed.

Reactions: Duncstar

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
still think Grieg will surprise us with how NHL ready he is and be an immediate impact.
I honestly thought he could of made the team out of camp last season. He looked NHL ready in the pre season games. Obviously he was too young though.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

It's not foolish. I'm not saying he will never outplay them. I'm saying there is almost zero chance he does. I just don't see Greig good enough to usurp Norris or Pinto. There is a minute chance he can do better than Stutzle, but since Stutzle has looked lightyears better at C than W, then again verrrrrry unlikely the team moves him to accommodate a rookie.

You say Greig is not good enough at faceoffs but I can’t figure out what facts you are using to come to that conclusion. There is also a fair bit of analytical evidence that face offs are not nearly as important as many would have you believe.

I think you are downplaying faceoffs. If it's not that important then I guess Stutzle is taking all of them. Oh wait...

Anyhoo, that's just one aspect of why I think Greig starts and ultimately stays a winger.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It will be interesting to see where Greig ends up to start next yr, although my guess is in Belleville until the Sens sort out a few things.

1. I doubt they break up the Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson line since they have been so good together & were one of the best lines in the NHL this yr before Norris & Batherson got hurt.

2. I think when Pinto is healthy that he is the most likely candidate to play with Stutzle & they try & create another good young line for the future. Given how good & how well C. Brown is playing my guess is that he would be the primary candidate to play RW with those two if Pinto plays C. If Stutzle plays C than my guess would be that Formenton would be the most likely choice to play with them. I wonder if Sokolov ccould be an option for them at RW if Pinto plays C?

3. I don't really see Greig playing LW on that 2nd line to start next yr, but you never know depending on how good a training camp he has. It would certainly allow them to keep the Formenton, Paul & C. Brown line together which has been great these last 3 games. It also brings up the question as to what will they do with White if that happens?

4. Both Kastelic & Sokolov IMO have shown enough to be in the bottom six & a 4th line option for this team. Kastelic has shown that he is excellent at faceoffs, big & tough around the net & Sokolov can bring an element of puck possession & offence to that 4ht line. Of course then that brings up the question as to what they do with Gaudette & Gambrell?

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Norris looked great in the AHL at left wing - I have zero doubt he would succeed as a 1LW or 2LW if needed.

Why do people like to flat out make stuff up?

He never played a single game at wing in the AHL.

Started off as 3rd line C and played 2nd line C or 1st.

Never played wing. You ok, Sweatred?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad