Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

barriers

Feb 10, 2020
Greig = Darcy Tucker + Mike Peca

He will be a menace to play against and put up decent points. I think he has generally been very underrated here and will be an instant fan favourite.
I think Grieg's legs are much better than what happens when Tucker and Peca collide

Berri UQAM

Apr 15, 2022
I'd be hesitant of any deal that included Greig or Pinto. Gonna be 2 key players for us.
I know some folks are understandably excited about the poasibility of obtaining a top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman via trade. It will be costly, in terms of assets given up, to obtain such a player. I bet tht folks would be disappointed by the cost once it becomes known.

Greig is super entertaining, and I view him as a somewhat unique player who could be rather hard to replace, even if he plays his entire career as a bottom 6 forward. Losing him would be a painful price to pay, in my view.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I know some folks are understandably excited about the poasibility of obtaining a top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman via trade. It will be costly, in terms of assets given up, to obtain such a player. I bet tht folks would be disappointed by the cost once it becomes known.

Greig is super entertaining, and I view him as a somewhat unique player who could be rather hard to replace, even if he plays his entire career as a bottom 6 forward. Losing him would be a painful price to pay, in my view.
I agree. It's almost a no win situation

If you start with the premise that we are looking for a top 6 or top 4 signed with some term, the cost to acquire that will be huge.

I'd rather play the UFA space and see what a Dandonov level contract gets you

Reactions: Berri UQAM

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I agree. It's almost a no win situation

If you start with the premise that we are looking for a top 6 or top 4 signed with some term, the cost to acquire that will be huge.

I'd rather play the UFA space and see what a Dandonov level contract gets you
Up front I think that's workable, I don't know that there's a realistic option on D though.

I also see room for change of scenery moves, Drouin for White+, for example, or a pick for puljujarvi.

We could take a run at Chychrun if we feel he can play the right side, or one of LA's RHD might be available as a support top 4 guy. Manson is UFA, but I don't think he comes here.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I think Grieg's legs are much better than what happens when Tucker and Peca collide
Don't disagree with that.

Thinking of how they played, their size and junior production is what had me using them as reference points.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

No problem giving up the price it took to get fiala

I am sure a lot of fans would be happy with that

Berri UQAM

Apr 15, 2022

You might be right. That said, I am not sure that a Fiala-to-Ottawa trade would involve similar exchange of assets as a Fiala-to-LA trade.

After all, Ottawa tried to get Fiala, right? They would have had to "beat" the LA offer to convince Minnesota make the deal with Ottawa, or maybe I am overlooking something.

As a matter of curiosity, if Ottawa traded for Fiala, would he have essentially the same contract with Ottawa that he now has with LA? If not, perhaps Fiala would have a more expensive contract with Ottawa, lowering his value to the team.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Possible … but I doubt that … but elite third liners are special .

You’ve got a hockey team when your third line is Pinto + Greig with Formenton or a Boucher or whoever
Tend to agree.

Does that mean Greig & JBD?

Tragedy

Jan 10, 2013
Regina, SK
You might be right. That said, I am not sure that a Fiala-to-Ottawa trade would involve similar exchange of assets as a Fiala-to-LA trade.

After all, Ottawa tried to get Fiala, right? They would have had to "beat" the LA offer to convince Minnesota make the deal with Ottawa, or maybe I am overlooking something.

As a matter of curiosity, if Ottawa traded for Fiala, would he have essentially the same contract with Ottawa that he now has with LA? If not, perhaps Fiala would have a more expensive contract with Ottawa, lowering his value to the team.
You're overlooking Fiala not signing here. I'm sure we could beat the offer with our pick being 7 but we weren't doing that without the extension

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Short of an absolute home run, like Pasta, I would not trade Greig.

I think he'll be extremely valuable and I'd rather be completely wrong and let him die on the vine than stack him with a bunch of assets for an improvement right now.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Love the way Greig plays, I would prefer they don't trade him because he is going to be a very pesky high skilled player that will be very hard to play against. Greig & Pinto together would be a very good pairing if Formenton stays with Stutzle.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Love the way Greig plays, I would prefer they don't trade him because he is going to be a very pesky high skilled player that will be very hard to play against. Greig & Pinto together would be a very good pairing if Formenton stays with Stutzle.
Agreed. If we are going to spend to get players, let it be salary dollars for UFAs. Keep the draft picks and better prospects.

Reactions: aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I have zero problem trading any prospect not named Sanderson for the right piece.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

The price for Fiala was acceptable to me: 19th OA plus a decent D prospect. Our equivalent could have been JBD/Brannstrom at D but losing the 7th OA would be too much to pay.

Reactions: NB613

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
This kid is going to be a Marchand-level impact player. The fact he gets thrown in to trade proposals on the regular is insane. Teams kill themselves trying to find guys like this through the draft and here's this fanbase ready to hand him over with 2-3 other A+ assets in virtually every trade proposal.

Reactions: Emrasie and NB613

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
This kid is going to be a Marchand-level impact player. The fact he gets thrown in to trade proposals on the regular is insane. Teams kill themselves trying to find guys like this through the draft and here's this fanbase ready to hand him over with 2-3 other A+ assets in virtually every trade proposal.

I really like him … on one hand I was worried he wasn’t t going to hold down 3C for CAN u20… on the other hand there’s the Marchand type comparisons.

Fingers crossed.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
I want to see Pinto, Grieg, and Sanderson make the team this year :)
Each one of those guys will be gamers for us. So excited to see this team injected with more skillful youth. Plus they all seem to know each other and get a long. Team chemistry will be off the charts with Brady leading the way.

I wouldn't be surprised if Greig is more effective at the NHL level early on vs Pinto.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I want to see Pinto, Grieg, and Sanderson make the team this year :)
Pinto and Sanderson are slam dunks IMO but Greig is probably headed to the A for a while.

Might just be the numbers game but I would prefer him to go down to A, play a ton of minutes in all situations before he comes up.

Should be a solid young team with the experience the kids had last year and adding Greig and Crookshank brings more speed/skill/tenacity.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Marchand is a 90+ point winger right now. Can we temper our expectations a bit?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad