Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He was 1-8 / 13% in the faceoff circle.

For comparison sake

PLD was 4-13 / 31% and Perfetti was 1-4 /25%.

Pinto killed it again 13-21 /62%

I think he's going to be in tough to play as a center in the NHL, he needs to get bigger and stronger imo, otherwise he's likely to shift to the wing. I'm a big fan of his game though.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
He was 1-8 / 13% in the faceoff circle.

For comparison sake

PLD was 4-13 / 31% and Perfetti was 1-4 /25%.

Pinto killed it again 13-21 /62%

Hey Triple J, truth be told Pinto owned both PLD and Perfetti (who was really good). Mr. Bean was the best player on ice. The "it" factor is there, which is super exciting to see from an already maturing 2-way centre forward. Time after growth will tell if he can be a #1C, but atm he is right behind Norris as the 2nd best C on Sens depth chart.

The Riddler is super intriguing, looking forward to his maturation as well, we could have another gem on hand.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
All of a sudden the future centre spots with Norris, Pinto & Greig seem to be taken care of. As Greig gets stronger & improves, his faceoff ability should get better too. Looks like it could be a decent future top nine. Greig also looks bigger to me.

Last yr it was Stutzle & Norris battling for the Calder Trophy on this team, this yr I expect it will be Pinto & Formenton & next yr it could be Sanderson & Greig going after the rookie of the yr award.

Tkachuk - Norris - Batherson
Stutzle - Pinto - Boucher
Formenton - Greig - Sokolov

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
I think he's going to be in tough to play as a center in the NHL, he needs to get bigger and stronger imo, otherwise he's likely to shift to the wing. I'm a big fan of his game though.

Dude just turned 19 a couple of weeks ago and is playing in an NHL game. Give him time. Hes been playing as the #1C in Brandon, and took more faceoffs than anybody on that team, so his junior team sees him as a C and will continue to develop him in that role.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Dude just turned 19 a couple of weeks ago and is playing in an NHL game. Give him time. Hes been playing as the #1C in Brandon, and took more faceoffs than anybody on that team, so his junior team sees him as a C and will continue to develop him in that role.

True, but I think his size will be a drawback in becoming a NHL center. I don't see him becoming one and is more likely he makes it as a winger in the end.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

He has the size to play center in juniors, but when he's facing 200 pound men though, it'll be tough. He's a small guy, there's time and room to grow, all I'm saying is if he's going to play center, he's going to need to get bigger and stronger. Not sure how that's controversial.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Greig has a hearing with the league by the way, not sure if it has been mentioned yet. A suspension is probably incoming.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Did Greig win a faceoff all night? Not sure he plays center in the NHL unless that changes ...
I don’t really care about face offs Honeslty. Least of my worries for a center. Obviously the world feels differently. I was reading that like a 2% change in FO% is a an extra faceoff win every 2 games. Could have read wrong but I’ve never really cared about it. Unless it’s atrocious obviously.

Frank8

Sep 19, 2013
All of a sudden the future centre spots with Norris, Pinto & Greig seem to be taken care of. As Greig gets stronger & improves, his faceoff ability should get better too. Looks like it could be a decent future top nine. Greig also looks bigger to me.

Last yr it was Stutzle & Norris battling for the Calder Trophy on this team, this yr I expect it will be Pinto & Formenton & next yr it could be Sanderson & Greig going after the rookie of the yr award.

Formenton is no longer a rookie, he's played over 25 games.

Reactions: aragorn

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don’t think he meant to get his stick up that high, and PLD is a much bigger dude standing up straight. Having said that you have to control your stick, and if you’re going to play hard against much bigger players it’s doubly important to not rely on your stick.

I wonder if they will keep him on the roster to burn the suspension games if he gets some. Would make sense I would think.

Reactions: Sicko and aragorn

StoicSensFan

ᕕ(ᐛ)ᕗ
Feb 6, 2014
Really needs to play in the AHL to work with Mann. Formenton was able to change his game to be less risky, same will probably happen with Greig.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010

I wouldn't get too concerned over one game. Pinto went 0 for 8 faceoffs in a game last year, it happens.

Small guys can play center and be good at draws and I think Grieg has what it takes to be effective there. You don't want him to be your #1 guy because that's too demanding, but if he's a 2 or 3 it's ok.

Look at the player Ottawa traded to get the pick they used for Grieg. Probably smaller than Ridly and one of the best faceoff guys in the league.

Reactions: aragorn

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He has the size to play center in juniors, but when he's facing 200 pound men though, it'll be tough. He's a small guy, there's time and room to grow, all I'm saying is if he's going to play center, he's going to need to get bigger and stronger. Not sure how that's controversial.

JG Pageau

I think he could be similar

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
JG Pageau
Yes, there are exceptions where small players make it work. Certainly not the norm though. Again, this really shouldn't be a controversial opinion. It will be tough for a kid that weighs 170 soaking wet to make it as a center in the NHL, particularly if he's bad at the faceoff dot.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

He looks bigger to me than what is shown in the program or other sites, he could grown over the summer. He didn't look small next to other players.

Formenton is no longer a rookie, he's played over 25 games.

That's a shame, like Batherson last yr who should have been a rookie too, but had played too many NHL games.

Reactions: Frank8

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton

I don't think Pinto and Formenton has that much offensive fire power to compete for Calder.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
Yes, there are exceptions where small players make it work. Certainly not the norm though. Again, this really shouldn't be a controversial opinion. It will be tough for a kid that weighs 170 soaking wet to make it as a center in the NHL, particularly if he's bad at the faceoff dot.
I don't understand why these kids aren't training harder in the gym. It's literally worth millions of dollars. My oldest is two weeks younger than Greig and is 5'11'' and 200 lbs at an absurdly low bodyfat. He trains because he loves to train. He can squat 44o lbs for reps, benches 315 and can dunk a basketball. It isn't magic. All you have to do is lift weights and eat right. If an NHL career was within grasp, how are these kids not training harder to get strong? It's mind boggling.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't understand why these kids aren't training harder in the gym. It's literally worth millions of dollars. My oldest is two weeks younger than Greig and is 5'11'' and 200 lbs at an absurdly low bodyfat. He trains because he loves to train. He can squat 44o lbs for reps, benches 315 and can dunk a basketball. It isn't magic. All you have to do is lift weights and eat right. If an NHL career was within grasp, how are these kids not training harder to get strong? It's mind boggling.

Idk, part of it is likely genetics, some people are able to add mass more easily than others, I remember reading about how Turris was consuming insane amounts of calories and just couldn't add the mass, also adding muscle to your frame doesn't always translate to better performance, so there may be some fear of losing mobility or quickness?

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I don't think it is controversial at all just like it shouldn't be surprising that some people are saying just wait and let him grow/fill-out.

Both are right in this discussion and let's see where he is at the beginning of next training camp - he might come in at 190lbs? Kid is skilled and fearless and will be a fan favourite whatever position he plays!

Reactions: slamigo

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I don’t think he meant to get his stick up that high, and PLD is a much bigger dude standing up straight. Having said that you have to control your stick, and if you’re going to play hard against much bigger players it’s doubly important to not rely on your stick.

I wonder if they will keep him on the roster to burn the suspension games if he gets some. Would make sense I would think.

To my knowledge theres 6 more preseason games he should be ok.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
They got the donuts? Excellent....

I suspect it is because they have trainers getting them to do more aerobic training or some silly version of weightlifting. The trainers do that because they don't know how to properly teach powerlifting or olympic weight lifting correctly.

Their calories can either be spent on building muscle or doing aerobic training and most players seem to think they need to do the aerobic training.

I will add that your son is probably more athletically gifted than the regular population. A vertical leap is not something you can really train and his ability to drunk a basketball at under 6' demonstrates he has some athletic gifts. Not that it really matters when we're comparing him to pro athletes who are inherently supremely gifted athletically.

Assen na yo!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad