Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Formenton is still a rookie. It's 25 games in the proceeding year

It is 25 games in one season, OR 6 or more games played two seasons in a row...so he is out.

he played 9 games in 2018-2019 and 20 games last season.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I guess I need to apologize as I thought we were talking about Ridley Greig who's under 170 pounds. So I went with under 170 pou
nds.

But honestly, even if you move it to 180, so few 25-30 year old (prime years) are under 180.

If I was to guess, I'd think all but 1-2 guys on every adult hockey team I played on was 190-210. Which holds true for the NHL too.

If you take a figure that is rare outside the NHL, of course it will be rare inside the NHL too.

Like, if the argument is that less than 5% of nhlers are under 180, it seems pretty consistent with any adult hockey League....maybe because that's just the percentage of people in general.

The only scronny people I can think of that are significantly less than 180 are computer nerds who have zero athletic ability. Anyone who has ability to skate or run or throw a ball seems to be atleast 180. So I don't think it's indicative of abilities more than just total raw numbers.

Man this is an odd post. In all my years of playing beer league sure most guys are 200 give or take. The problem with that is most are 25 pounds over weight lol. Seriously how many beer leaguers are in good shape?

You need to be 180 to skate or throw?

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think he actually is disqualied because he has 6 games or more in each of any two previous seasons.

Edit, beaten to it.

This is the rule

To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

According to hockey dB, he played in 1, 9, 0 and 20

So I'd say he's still a rookie

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is the rule

To be considered a rookie, a player must not have played in more than 25 NHL games in any preceding seasons, nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons. Any player at least 26 years of age (by September 15th of that season) is not considered a rookie.

What about the "nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons" bit imidiately following what you bolded?

No mention that those two preceding seasons need to be consecutive,

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
I guess I need to apologize as I thought we were talking about Ridley Greig who's under 170 pounds. So I went with under 170 pounds.

But honestly, even if you move it to 180, so few 25-30 year old (prime years) are under 180.

If I was to guess, I'd think all but 1-2 guys on every adult hockey team I played on was 190-210. Which holds true for the NHL too.

If you take a figure that is rare outside the NHL, of course it will be rare inside the NHL too.

Like, if the argument is that less than 5% of nhlers are under 180, it seems pretty consistent with any adult hockey League....maybe because that's just the percentage of people in general.

The only scronny people I can think of that are significantly less than 180 are computer nerds who have zero athletic ability. Anyone who has ability to skate or run or throw a ball seems to be atleast 180. So I don't think it's indicative of abilities more than just total raw numbers.
Either you’ve never played a sport in your life or, more likely, your being obtuse. Some of the most athletic people I know are less than 180lbs and they would’ve played sports at a high level if they were bigger.

Reactions: Dionysus

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
This is the rule

They key word is "any" preceding seasons. Does not have to be consecutive.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
What about the "nor in six or more NHL games in each of any two preceding seasons" bit imidiately following what you bolded?

No mention that those two preceding seasons need to be consecutive,

Ya, I think you're right. I brain farted on that one

I was thinking didn't play 25 last year, didn't play 6 or more in two of the 1,9,0 years

Reactions: Micklebot

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
He looks like Darcy Tucker with modern day skill (Tucker being relatively skilled for his day but the bar is much higher these days). He looks pretty slight, so I'm not sure how much muscle he can pack on. I can see Greig being a 15G 45Pts player who can play up and down a line up. He's going to have to pick his spots with the bs but Greig is always going to be a player that will need to walk the line.

Another player that you hate on another team but enjoy when he's on your team.

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
I wonder how many games he would have gotten if his name was Brendan Gallagher and he played for the Habs?

Zero games you say? Montreal Typical.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
So do they keep him on the roster up until the first regular season game is over, or do they send him down after next preseason game, let him do camp and start the season in the W and deal with the NHL game later…

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
So do they keep him on the roster up until the first regular season game is over, or do they send him down after next preseason game, let him do camp and start the season in the W and deal with the NHL game later…

If the team wants him to get a taste of the NHL for development purposes before sending him back to junior, then this might be a good time to do it and serve the suspensions now.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
If the team wants him to get a taste of the NHL for development purposes before sending him back to junior, then this might be a good time to do it and serve the suspensions now.

Ya get the suspension out of his head don't want the kid thinking about a 1 game suspension all year and offseason just let him serve it before he goes to the WHL and be done with

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Don't care for that punishment at all. One preseason game should've been the absolute max. Kid already got 5 and a game.

Reactions: Deku

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Man this is an odd post. In all my years of playing beer league sure most guys are 200 give or take. The problem with that is most are 25 pounds over weight lol. Seriously how many beer leaguers are in good shape?

You need to be 180 to skate or throw?

Well I don't know who you hang out with that are that over weight at 25 but they aren't athletes. People I play hockey with care about fitness. They aren't 25 pounds overweight lol.

You don't need to be 180. I'm saying everyone I know that's well under is scronny and very un-athletic and couldn't skate or throw a ball.

Anyways, that's not even close to the point. The point is if a small percentage of young adult male athletes are under a certain weight, then of course it's to be expected that a small percentage of NHL players will be under that weight.

The reason there aren't many small players isn't because small players can't succeed, it's because there aren't that many small young males. Like, I think I can count on one hand the amount of young adult males I know under 5'7. So of course it's going to be very rare to have those tiny guys in the NHL when it's very rare in general to have those tiny white young males in public.

Last edited:

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Either you’ve never played a sport in your life or, more likely, your being obtuse. Some of the most athletic people I know are less than 180lbs and they would’ve played sports at a high level if they were bigger.

I've played multiple sports competitively growing up. I'm not talking about teenagers though.

I'm talking about as a 25 year old, not that many athletes are well under 170-180. You hit the gym for a couple years and you're over 170-180 unless you're very short. Either way, those people obviously exist but are rarer. Just like in the NHL.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Isn't the average size of most men on earth around 5'8" & women around 5'2"? I think Canada is 5'8" for men too.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Greig can play C but he will be Stutzle's LW longterm, imo. Sokolov on the otherside.

Greig-Stutzle-Sokolov
Tkachuk-Norris-Batherson
Formenton-Pinto-Brown (Elite all purpose shutdown line)

if Stutzle doesn't transition to C then one of Greig/Pinto/Norris will be packaged for that elusive top line C.

I think he fits this team's culture to a T.

We're going to be absolutely horrible to play against. Speed, physicality, relentlessness.

I think we're always going to be a little jealous of the more skilled teams, but I still think this can lead to affordable results.

You're selling our skill short.

Is Boston jealous of the skilled teams? LA? That's how I see us. Greig's preseason goal was as skilled as they come. We are going to have a spectacular mix of speed and skill. There won't be many skilled players in the league that will be better than Stutzle and Chabot in their respective positions.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
Isn't the average size of most men on earth around 5'8" & women around 5'2"? I think Canada is 5'8" for men too.

I think those figures include older males and non white males which often bring the size down.

Walk down the hall of your mostly white college or university, and at 5'10 you're below average. Lots of 5'11-6'1 guys.

I don't know what the average height in Canada for caucasians 20-40 years old but it's a lot more than 5'8 lol.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

They keep him and let him play/practice some of
His ten games before he goes back down.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think those figures include older males and non white males which often bring the size down.

Walk down the hall of your mostly white college or university, and at 5'10 you're below average. Lots of 5'11-6'1 guys.

I don't know what the average height in Canada for caucasians 20-40 years old but it's a lot more than 5'8 lol.

CDC did a study that split up ethnicity, it's US, but the results are likely similar here, average non-hispanic white male age 20-39 is 5'10.

Average height has been increasing over the years so the 5'8 number is probably just @aragorn showing his age...

Reactions: jbeck5

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
You're selling our skill short.

Is Boston jealous of the skilled teams? LA? That's how I see us. Greig's preseason goal was as skilled as they come. We are going to have a spectacular mix of speed and skill. There won't be many skilled players in the league that will be better than Stutzle and Chabot in their respective positions.

We don't even know if we have a #1C.

I'm pleased with how our prospects have panned out but I still don't see the firepower of a team like Toronto or Tampa Bay.

And that's ok - I think there are other ways to be competitive.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad