Player Discussion Ridly Greig (LW) 28th Overall

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
We don't even know if we have a #1C.

I'm pleased with how our prospects have panned out but I still don't see the firepower of a team like Toronto or Tampa Bay.
I guess, but if you compare your teams firepower to two of the highest skilled teams in the league you're setting yourself up for disapointment.

We'll score by committee, look at Vegas, Stone is great but they don't have the firepower of Matthews/Marner/Tavares either yet they are definitely a better team. Or perhaps Carolina, Aho Trocheck and Svechnikov might not be as flashy but they certainly get the job done.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I guess, but if you compare your teams firepower to two of the highest skilled teams in the league you're setting yourself up for disapointment.

We'll score by committee, look at Vegas, Stone is great but they don't have the firepower of Matthews/Marner/Tavares either yet they are definitely a better team. Or perhaps Carolina, Aho Trocheck and Svechnikov might not be as flashy but they certainly get the job done.

I don't get why people are up in my grill about this.

No team is perfect.

I know Sens fans and when there's a game deep in the season where we don't score enough goals, people will be griping about our "lack of high-end skill" in favour of "character" or "toughness".

NyQuil said:
And that's ok - I think there are other ways to be competitive.

Reactions: aragorn

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
He looks like Darcy Tucker with modern day skill (Tucker being relatively skilled for his day but the bar is much higher these days). He looks pretty slight, so I'm not sure how much muscle he can pack on. I can see Greig being a 15G 45Pts player who can play up and down a line up. He's going to have to pick his spots with the bs but Greig is always going to be a player that will need to walk the line.

Another player that you hate on another team but enjoy when he's on your team.
I see alot of Kadri. Left handed shot, crafty hands, physical play. Tucker seemed like more of a bowling ball.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I see alot of Kadri. Left handed shot, crafty hands, physical play. Tucker seemed like more of a bowling ball.

Kadri was a pansy though.

ZackSmithLunge.png

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Great goal, dumb play. I'm not sure what kind of advice his dad is giving him. Seems right out of Slapshot, the "let him know you're there" type of thing. It is not coincidental that this is three years in a row he does something stupid. Bit of a loose cannon, let's see if he can harness that and mature into a proper player. Seems awfully skilled, would be a shame for him to piss it away

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Great goal, dumb play. I'm not sure what kind of advice his dad is giving him. Seems right out of Slapshot, the "let him know you're there" type of thing. It is not coincidental that this is three years in a row he does something stupid. Bit of a loose cannon, let's see if he can harness that and mature into a proper player. Seems awfully skilled, would be a shame for him to piss it away

I guarantee you that the coaching staff loved it behind closed doors.

EDIT: Or with the doors wide open.

Last edited:
Reactions: StoicSensFan

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The problem was that the cross check was high, the good news was that the kid went right at a couple top players in the NHL in PLD and Ehlers.

Keep the aggression up and the stick down, that’s the line, and all the while flex on the offence.

Also as an aside, man was Kelly ever hitting like a truck.

Reactions: Yak and coladin

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He should keep playing the same game that made him a 1st round pick and in the running for Team Canada.

Doesn't matter much in the pre-season, but Team Canada won't stand for dumb and unnecessary penalties from their depth guys, let alone 5 minute majors.

Greig needs to keep it clean. Darn good player when he isn't hurting his team from sitting in the penalty or press box.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think it was a rookie (over)reaction.. I didn't mind it at all. Not advocating for more plays like it through a game but that one time , I'm ok with.

At first I thought it was a reactionary move but Grieg's history makes me think otherwise.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Shirley, you are not supporting cheap shots to the head?
Of course not but I also don't understand how this 1 play has now morphed in to Greig being the next coming of Ken "The Rat" Linesman?

Yes he plays physical and in that quick reaction sequence he made a dumb play but come on, 18 years old making space for himself...I am not going to mark him for life.

And don't call me Shirley.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Doesn't matter much in the pre-season, but Team Canada won't stand for dumb and unnecessary penalties from their depth guys, let alone 5 minute majors.

Greig needs to keep it clean. Darn good player when he isn't hurting his team from sitting in the penalty or press box.
Time and place...he isn't a completely reckless player so I have no doubt he would play hard and clean for Team Canada.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Of course not but I also don't understand how this 1 play has now morphed in to Greig being the next coming of Ken "The Rat" Linesman?

Yes he plays physical and in that quick reaction sequence he made a dumb play but come on, 18 years old making space for himself...I am not going to mark him for life.

And don't call me Shirley.

Frankly, I was just being earnest! :)

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Time and place...he isn't a completely reckless player so I have no doubt he would play hard and clean for Team Canada.

He's been suspended multiple times now for objectively dirty plays at different levels.

It's something he has to fix, but thankfully it is fixable.

He should look to Brady as an example of how to play hard-nosed physical hockey without going over the line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad