Salary Cap: RFA Marner - Silence until solution to the matter one way or the other

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
It’s gonna be 5x11 or

3x10 with $12 Million in year 3 as QO.

Term is the hill Marner’s camp is willing to die on.

Personally I’d let let them die on that hill, all 3 of them.

those are terrible deals for toronto. i would honestly rather trade him then the leafs agree to any of those. we dont need a 100 point winger to win a cup. if we can convert marner into a top 4 rd, a top 6 rw, and a prospect/ a pick leafs should take it an move forward.

examples:

bailey, dobson, 1st
sandheim, patrick, 1st
manson, comtois, 1st

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
via James Mirtle: the Leafs have had on the table at various points the past two months are three years at $8.75-million, six years at $10.5-million and seven years at $11-million a season

Reactions: Hockey Crazy

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
I'm curious what you guys think. If Matthews is the sticking point, what would be his contract equivalent at a 3 years term?

It was reported his 8 year ask was near McDavids cap%, so let's just say around 13.5ish? So that makes 13.5x8 --> 11.6x5 --> ??x3
If he got a 3 year bridge would it be 10? Lower? Not necessarily what would he ask, but what would be an equivalent contract?

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

bax

Mar 4, 2011
Canada
Mitch is losing a lot of the street credit he has built (as I said he would the longer this drags out). I think they are holding firm on a 3 year deal but you are right and hence why I would entertain moving one or both of Willie and Mitch and change the dynamics of the club. Laine and Connor could be a good starting point. Laine is a pure 40-50 goal sniper and Connor adds some sandpaper along with his 30-40 goals.

Maybe I'm missing the point but are you suggesting getting rid of Nylander and Marner and replacing them with 2 other guys who are not signed? How would that change the dynamic?

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
11 x 7 is the best offer.

Now Marner's agent will attempt to get more using that as the base to negotiate from.

That is now the floor.

Woooooooooooooooooooooosh.

According to you. For all ANY of us know Dubas said thats the best offer you are going to get. The more drama and time drags on...the offer will change and get smaller.

Always laughable how some posters here think they know it all when 0 information beyond a couple of rumors from desperate writers looking for hits leading into the season. A few weeks ago an 11 million dollar contract was seen as it is... too much. Now some say it is the least he will take. Pure Lunacy

The only people who know what is going on is the leafs brass and Marners camp.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
I'm curious what you guys think. If Matthews is the sticking point, what would be his contract equivalent at a 3 years term?

It was reported his 8 year ask was near McDavids cap%, so let's just say around 13.5ish? So that makes 13.5x8 --> 11.6x5 --> ??x3
If he got a 3 year bridge would it be 10? Lower? Not necessarily what would he ask, but what would be an equivalent contract?

9.734M x 3 years

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
According to you. For all ANY of us know Dubas said thats the best offer you are going to get. The more drama and time drags on...the offer will change and get smaller.

Always laughable how some posters here think they know it all when 0 information beyond a couple of rumors from desperate writers looking for hits leading into the season. A few weeks ago an 11 million dollar contract was seen as it is... too much. Now some say it is the least he will take. Pure Lunacy

The only people who know what is going on is the leafs brass and Marners camp.

No...

According to McKenzie, Dreger, and now Mirtle:

via James Mirtle: the Leafs have had on the table at various points the past two months are three years at $8.75-million, six years at $10.5-million and seven years at $11-million a season

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
Context as I see it in the order in which events happened.

3rd: Panarin ....@$11.642 mil X 7 ................(= using JT UFA floor and Matthews new ceiling to leapfrog both to become 2nd highest AAV now bumping them down a spot each)
2nd: Matthews @ $11.634 mil X 5 ............(= highest RFA signing on term in salary cap world)
1st: Tavares @ $11 mil X 7 ..............................(= highest UFA signing in salary cap world)

Now Marner after having his teammates JT and AM set new market levels for both UFA and RFA signed players, and seeing Panarin use those strategically and leapfrog all sitting #2, #3, and #4 highest paid players in the game behind only McDavid, that has become the new ceiling.

It appears that Marner is now using Panarin as his new ceiling to help draw his new contract to as close to Matthews as possible and wants to join them all in the Top 5 highest AAV players with the sweet spot right between his teammates Tavares and Matthews as his landing spot, which is what I posted in my previous post. . ;)

Marner's new floor = Tavares and his new ceiling = Panarin expected to land somewhere in-between.

You always want to use AAV to compare players. Not cap %. I wonder why ?

Could it be because all of the below players all had a higher cap % then Tavares when signed ?

Kane
Toews
Malkin
Crosby
Kopitar
Price

Leafs did not reset the market. Stop with this narrative. There in tons of evidence to show they didn't reset the market, but you refuse to acknowledge it.

Reactions: kb

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
He said 11 on a long term deal. 11 is not on the table for three years, and Marner is never going to get it on three years.

Dubas could agree to literally every single thing Marner believes about himself and 11x3 would still be a massive overpayment. I don't think Marner is that delusional.
Yes so true ... when Point signs for 3 years at 8.5M - 8.75M AAV that will set the benchmark. It will be very hard for Ferris to get more. Also I did not think it through before but now I get why that 3rd year salary could be the holdup. But if Paul is pushing 11M for 3 years then only option is to sit Mitch for the season. It has to be done.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Maybe I'm missing the point but are you suggesting getting rid of Nylander and Marner and replacing them with 2 other guys who are not signed? How would that change the dynamic?

Betting Leafs can sign Laine and Connor easier than Marner. Moving two soft, play making wingers (who held the team hostage) for two bigger, goal scoring wingers changes the dynamics of the team.

Reactions: bax
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad