Salary Cap: RFA Marner - Silence until solution to the matter one way or the other

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Really hope Dubas doesnt cave and gives him the three year deal he wants.

6+ years and im happy.

I want three yrs without the loaded final year to screw with the qualifying offer. I don't think he is an $11M player and would much rather somehow be proven wrong and he gets his crazy money in year four than pay him way more than his actual comps now and hover as a 26-90 player with a top 5 contract.

FWIW I think he will sign before the season starts. We may all not like numbers but until he misses one game this is just hard negotiation and not a Nylander job and the Europe crap is just the toolbag agent. Also numbers Dubas has on the table weren't created by MM, they are from KD, and if he didn't think they were reasonable, they wouldn't be offered. If Mitch gets $11 x 7 or more, thats on the GM, and on Shanahan for watching it happen. We can only hope the scalping echos around the league and the rest of the young guns spread the cap misery around. I would really love to see Point force the Bolts to make a trade because he wants top dollar.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Sign, pay huge bonus money and trade before the season starts?
Yeah, sure.....if it were possible. Would be the first sign and trade in I don't know how long.

And I'm not exactly young. :laugh:

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Marners parents have been working away on their retirement plan since lil Mitch was like 3 don’t think they are about to change their stance on anything.
I’d almost rather see him on any other team in any other league now.
I thought the lindros family was out to lunch but somehow this is even more cringe worthy

Reactions: kb

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
Why does this worry me rather than comfort me?
Same. It's hard to see a good solution after things looking so bad.

I hope the fan reaction was a wakeup call for Marner. Get his priorities straight. He can be made whole for all slights, or he can continue down the road towards becoming a Leafs legend even beyond the ice. Can't really do both.

Reactions: GermanLeaf and kb

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
LeBrun's own personal speculation is 6 years at $10.5 per.
He makes a point to say it's his own opinion but oftentimes these opinions are swayed by things they've heard or are hearing but they cannot confirm.
FWIW I'm okay with 6 x $10.5

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
Interested to see how the main board trolls will spin this. This entire time, they have said he is better than Matthews and therefore Dubas has to pay him like that. If he signs the 11 x 7, it can't be an overpayment due to this logic, as it is less money and more term, for a "better" player.

Maybe they'll double down and say they are both bad contracts, LOL to the Leafs for having such good players?

Reactions: kb

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
10.5 for 6 is the perfect contract honestly. I can accept it. Makes him one of the highest paid players in the league.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Given everything we have heard, if Marner takes 10.5 X 6 years, I will eat my shoe

That is an overpay, but it works for the Leafs now and for the future

Imagine the trade offers the Leafs will receive? :sarcasm:

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Doubtful.

I think you'll still find something to complain about and to frame Dubas as a loser in the negotiation.

Looking at your post history, I'm not sure there is anything that will make you happy.

Here's hoping though.

Oh it's a total overpayment already, don't get me wrong.

But I already accounted for how bad Dubas is at contracts into my original estimate...

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Wow leafs are gonna get bent over on $/term ! Dubas is caving again.

If he does give him an over-payment, I'd rather my GM do that with stars then fringe players like Komarov, Zaitsev, Martin, Hainsey, Brown.
I understand the complaints about the overpayments (but don't necessarily agree), but value deals like AJ, Kap, Kerfoot, Barrie, Muzzin - they've done an awesome job turning over the roster, makingit more balanced, AND keeping their stars.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
I think it ends up being 3 yrs at around $9M. 7M yr 1, 8M yr 2 and 12M in yr 3. 27/3 for a 9M AAV. Marner gets his short term that he wants, Dubas gets a win on AAV. I think yr 3 has to be higher than Matthews AAV. Then the QO is 12M for year 4.

That IMO for the Leafs is good, it avoids Marner sitting out. And you have 3 years to see if he is really as good as last year would suggest. It also staggers the contract end dates. Yeah he can become UFA in 4 years - so what, you are letting the other one become one in 5.

If it goes to QO in yr 4 it is 39 M total over 4 years still almost 2m/yr less than matthews.

I think you need at least a 3 year plus an option.

You need that 4th year to trade him if you decide he's clearly not a winner.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
Betting Leafs can sign Laine and Connor easier than Marner. Moving two soft, play making wingers (who held the team hostage) for two bigger, goal scoring wingers changes the dynamics of the team.

Laine? seriously want nothing to do with him, nothing at all, he's a dog. Connor would be good but much too expensive, both to pay and acquire

Found the edgelord.

edging a little too much perhaps:cool:

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Fantasy deam land world: trade mitch, offersheet point for 10X7 years.

that'd be cool.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
6 x $10.5 would be a great deal. Disappointed though that none of the big three were signed for max term, which I thought would have been a no-brainer and foregone conclusion (from both sides).

Matthews and Nylander and then Marner and Tavares coming up as UFAs in back-to-back summers is not ideal. But guess just gotta cross that bridge when the time comes at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad