Salary Cap: RFA Marner - Silence until solution to the matter one way or the other

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
6 x $10.5 would be a great deal. Disappointed though that none of the big three were signed for max term, which I thought would have been a no-brainer and foregone conclusion (from both sides).

Matthews and Nylander and then Marner and Tavares coming up as UFAs in back-to-back summers is not ideal. But guess just gotta cross that bridge when the time comes at this point.

By that time if they haven't won anything, it may be time for a change anyway.

Reactions: TheTotalPackage

MapleLeafs77

Oct 20, 2017
6 x $10.5 would be a great deal. Disappointed though that none of the big three were signed for max term, which I thought would have been a no-brainer and foregone conclusion (from both sides).

Matthews and Nylander and then Marner and Tavares coming up as UFAs in back-to-back summers is not ideal. But guess just gotta cross that bridge when the time comes at this point.
The other to keep in mind is that if it is 6 years...marner will have matthews contract again to compare to. And i can see him going hard after that once again.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
I hope that the league pushes for a new Mitch Marner rule.
If you aren’t signed by camp opening you can’t play that season.
Absolutely no reason that all these entitled players should be holding their teams and fan bases hostage.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The other to keep in mind is that if it is 6 years...marner will have matthews contract again to compare to. And i can see him going hard after that once again.
That's ok. His team will point to its own internal comparables.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

no cup by then and serious shake up of the team will be needed, so maybe marner will be the one to move on or Matthews either way that comparison wont matter. On the other hand a cup or 2 and spend our entire cap on just those 2 for all I care

Nooodles

May 7, 2010
Geszteréd
Dreger has softened everyone up. Ferris is a genius.

At the same time that clown Dreger has destroyed his own reputation in the hockey worlds eyes so bad even his own colleagues are now roasting him on twitter.

Which at the end of the day is a fair trade for me. I freaking hate that joke Dreger.

Reactions: therealkoho and kb

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
At the same time that clown Dreger has destorey his own reputation in the hockey worlds eyes so bad even his own colleagues are now roasting him on twitter.

Which at the end of the day is a fair trade for me. I freaking hate that joke Dreger.

Yup no credibility, no integrity, and pretty much a joke of an insider now

Reactions: kb

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Only thing that sucks is Marner is going to for sure be paid the most out of everyone. Watch Point sign right aftr for 2-3M less for similar term.

Then dear Mitch is going to have a whole lot of pressure to perform. He'll have a hard time living up to that contract me thinks

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I hope that the league pushes for a new Mitch Marner rule.
If you aren’t signed by camp opening you can’t play that season.
Absolutely no reason that all these entitled players should be holding their teams and fan bases hostage.
That's simple enough to do. Make players coming off their ELC's arbitration eligible.

Ironic that the reason that it's not in the CBA now is because it was thought at the time to be far too inflationary.

Last edited:

Faustus

Jun 21, 2012
via James Mirtle: the Leafs have had on the table at various points the past two months are three years at $8.75-million, six years at $10.5-million and seven years at $11-million a season

It's hard to get excited about CJ's tweet after Mirtle confirmed these numbers. If there's "progress," are the Leafs bumping their offer? Just brutal.

If I'm a player on my ELC in a big market, I'm calling Ferris.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
That’s not remotely negotiating in bad faith.

Acting against both parties’ best interests in order to settle personal scores resulting from pride and arrogance? Looks like it to me.

(Again, this is predicated on believing the rumours being floated... hard to know whether or not they’re corroborated)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
At the same time that clown Dreger has destroyed his own reputation in the hockey worlds eyes so bad even his own colleagues are now roasting him on twitter.

That too will pass.

kb

Aug 28, 2009

I love that he has become a parody of himself.

Reactions: Nooodles

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
It's hard to get excited about CJ's tweet after Mirtle confirmed these numbers. If there's "progress," are the Leafs bumping their offer? Just brutal.
There's two parties that can move on this. The talk of progress comes right on the heels of immense backlash from the fanbase against Marner. You're jumping to conclusions.

Reactions: al secord

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Oh it's a total overpayment already, don't get me wrong.

But I already accounted for how bad Dubas is at contracts into my original estimate...

200.webp

Reactions: 18leafsfan18

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
That's simple enough to do. Make players coming off their ELC's arbitration eligible.

Ironic that the reason that it's not in the CBA now is because it was thought to be far too inflationary.
Third party arbitration is probably too logical and the players would never agree.
I’ve already quit watching the nba over the greed of players and tbh hockey is not far behind.
This nonsense is why I enjoy watching jr hockey so much.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I decided to view that as a positive sign. I don't think he would be roasted if other insiders thought he'd end up looking more right than wrong on this.

Reactions: Nooodles

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Dreger has softened everyone up. Ferris is a genius.

If I were an unsigned RFA now I would want Ferris as my player agent (because he is tough and ruthless) and Dubas as my GM (because he is kind and generous) and Dreger as my spokesman (because he spreads the news and desensitizes the market to above market ask).

This is the perfect storm trio to employ if one is interested in maximizing your own contract $$$ earnings while getting your teams fan base on board in support of the outcome, while seeing it as win for the GM by getting a deal done.

Lost in all the pomp and circumstance of this negotiation process is the fact the player is the biggest winner of the all.

Reactions: Bomber0104
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad