Salary Cap: RFA Marner - Silence until solution to the matter one way or the other

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Zack Zack Zack:) In addition to that, any agent has to understand this deal is coming directly out of the pockets of his non star clients because it isn't new money. Now Ferris has almost no veteran clients but most of his young guys aren't high end talent. Exactly the sort who may not find a job because a club has to dress one less guy.

Contracts by Agent | Puckpedia

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
It's too coincidental a day after Kyle Dubas says that they will no longer be talking about Marner situation that report comes out that they are progressing. I think its the Marner camp trying to protect Marner from the vitriol he's been facing from the fan base and media. I personally don't believe any progress has been made.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Weird interpretation of what above average means. It's certainly debatable though, I'll give you that.

The problem with Marner is he over analyzes and either over-plays the situation or makes some unorthodox play. He is still adjusting to that. However, he has shown the ability to be an above average shooter but the problem is consistency.

Anyways, we both agree he needs to improve his shot and when that time comes he will hit another level of production.

Reactions: HR Pickens

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Not sure what to believe. Dubas invoked silence after yesterday but no multiple rumors there's progress?

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
Somebody pinch me, because it feels like I'm dreaming and caught in a nightmare.

First Marner last summer offers Dubas $72 mil over 8 years and Dubas turned it down as "too rich".

Then Dubas offers Marner $11 mil over 7/8 years this summer (which is +$2 mil more then he turned down earlier), and Marner turns it down as "too low".

Is this really happening?
A little thing called an NHL season happened between the two events. A season where Marner had a 94 point season. Only the 6th leaf of all time to have that many points

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
If I'm Marner I'm taking that 7yr x 11M deal as it takes him to 2025-2026 when the Tavares contract for 11M comes off the books. That will be his best opportunity to then get another 7-8 year contract at a high AAV. Every other year they are looking at involves the Leafs having to think about other contracts like Reilly, Matthews, Nylander which would impact what they could offer him.

Last edited:

Zack47

Oct 21, 2017
Zack Zack Zack:) In addition to that, any agent has to understand this deal is coming directly out of the pockets of his non star clients because it isn't new money. Now Ferris has almost no veteran clients but most of his young guys aren't high end talent. Exactly the sort who may not find a job because a club has to dress one less guy.

Contracts by Agent | Puckpedia
Very good point....

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Some do. I looked up Crosby and Malkin, just for fun. Crosby had his career high at 19, Malkin at 22. I am not saying Marner can't score 100, he can, but it's also a good possibility that he might never score more than 94. There are also guys who had career highs later, like Kane. You can't say for sure that he will definitely eclipse 94 points. I am not saying he won't, though.

Are you going to be consistent and apply this to auston and willy?

Because that means nylander may never eclipse 61 and auston may never surpass an 88 point pace

Or is it just marner who wont see an increase?

Last edited:

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
This is laughable in reality but only pumped because fans don't care about the reality of the situation nor try to. If your employer had a hard budget and handed out a few too many stupid raises so couldn't offer you a raise, despite you being a much more productive/better employee than those who got the raises, you'd likely care just a slight bit. And that's regardless of how much you were getting paid.

But continue back into your fantasy/fan world.

This analogy is so f***ed. If the They offered him $77m over 7 years, much more than a player of his ilk deserves to make. Stop equating pro athletes with a guy making $30k.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
It's too coincidental a day after Kyle Dubas says that they will no longer be talking about Marner situation that report comes out that they are progressing. I think its the Marner camp trying to protect Marner from the vitriol he's been facing from the fan base and media. I personally don't believe any progress has been made.

What did they think was going to happen?

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Somebody pinch me, because it feels like I'm dreaming and caught in a nightmare.

First Marner last summer offers Dubas $72 mil over 8 years and Dubas turned it down as "too rich".

Then Dubas offers Marner $11 mil over 7/8 years this summer (which is +$2 mil more then he turned down earlier), and Marner turns it down as "too low".

Is this really happening?

wtf is this? Where did you see this fantasy "offer" from the Marner camp? Kypreos? Surely you jest.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
You need to chill out, the cap situation is frying your noodle. Traditionally, the cap goes up 3-5 million every year. That means even though we'll be going into this season with pretty much zero cap space we'll be starting next year with an extra 3-5 and the following year with another 3-5 and likely more than that when the expansion occurs. In addition, next year we have 7 defencemen who will be hitting UFA/FRA status. How we go about resigning some of those players or promoting from within (ie Sandin, Liljegren) will also go along way to determining how much extra money we have for our 3rd/4th tier forwards. If Marner signs for 11M we will have 18-20M in cap space next year.

I love Moore as a player and am pretty excited to see what Mikheyev can bring to the team. The latter is an RFA next year and the former is a RFA the following year. The key here is they are still not UFA's and we should be able to handle 1-2M increases in their salary if they perform at that level.

Finally, once Marner signs we will have one of the top 3 forward corps in the NHL signed under contract anywhere from 3-7 years. Hopefully, Marner is signed for 6-7 years so we don't have to worry about the big 4 until Matthews/Nylander in 2024/2025.

Consider the fact that the cap has not gone up by 3-5M every year and I will consider the rest of your valid points except for thinking that because the players you mentioned are RFA's that they will automagically sign for just $1 or 2M increases. Why are we in this predicament with Marner if RFA's have no leverage compared to UFA's?

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Maybe they thought that exact numbers wouldn't be leaked from the organization and it probably caught them off guard but i'm sure the Leafs have had enough, they've been working at it for over a year

I'd honestly trade Marner at this point and send a message to both the Leafs and the rest of the league.

Enough is enough. The cap is a real thing.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
The pressure point came when 11M×7 being turned down was leaked by the team, it's amazing what the entire fan base turning on you and millions of dollars of endorsements slipping through your fingers can do

This is exactly what I was wondering as well. If what the reports about him making $2M in extra income are true...then he really is a greedy bastard. Instead of accepting the good extra's you get with playing here...he wants a salary like he is playing in Edmonton and needs the cash to make up for the crappy city and situation.

I wonder if some of the deals he signed had an out clause for the companies if his image takes a hit and they called him up after O'Dog went mental the other day and made MM look bad. They might have said that his image is no longer "Intact" :sarcasm:

Reactions: supermann_98
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad