Salary Cap: RFA Marner - Silence until solution to the matter one way or the other

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

capfit9

Oct 29, 2009
I'd honestly trade Marner at this point and send a message to both the Leafs and the rest of the league.

Enough is enough. The cap is a real thing.
I think it's too late to get fair value in a trade since teams now know you are not able to sign the player and the fact the organization is in a winning window, the only resolution at this point is to get a bridge (2 yrs not 3 yrs) at a number below Aho's AAV or you have no choice but to let him sit the rest of the season and trade him in the offseason

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
This is exactly what I was wondering as well. If what the reports about him making $2M in extra income are true...then he really is a greedy bastard. Instead of accepting the good extra's you get with playing here...he wants a salary like he is playing in Edmonton and needs the cash to make up for the crappy city and situation.

I wonder if some of the deals he signed had an out clause for the companies if his image takes a hit and they called him up after O'Dog went mental the other day and made MM look bad. They might have said that his image is no longer "Intact" :sarcasm:

$2M? jeez I didn't know it was that high. I don't think Crosby gets that even with his Tim Horton's deal

edit: seems he gets closer to $5M at least in 2015 he did

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
You can only hide for so long behind daddy and your agent. You can only wakeboard for so long too. Sitting at home watching Netflix with your girl and eating ice cream gets boring too. Eventually you gotta say enough guys, sign the deal and let's get 'er goin.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
I read somewhere it was over 2 mil and they were actually turning down endorsements because of how busy he already was off the ice.
I’ve already given up hope of him coming to his senses and really think the team would be better off in the short and long term using this as an example to future rfas
Teams need guys who’s primary goal is winning a cup not getting the highest possible aav.
Making the most money is impossible while still having the best team.

Be smart for gms to perhaps ask these questions of kids before they draft them and invest a bunch of time and money into them.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is exactly what I was wondering as well. If what the reports about him making $2M in extra income are true...then he really is a greedy bastard. Instead of accepting the good extra's you get with playing here...he wants a salary like he is playing in Edmonton and needs the cash to make up for the crappy city and situation.

I wonder if some of the deals he signed had an out clause for the companies if his image takes a hit and they called him up after O'Dog went mental the other day and made MM look bad. They might have said that his image is no longer "Intact" :sarcasm:
I doubt his contracts have any outs except for conduct unbecoming of the brand, and no, being difficult in contract negotiations doesn't qualify.

The players also somewhat earn there endorsement money, its easy, but they actually have to do things for it, unlike the outright tax break in places like Florida.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
I doubt his contracts have any outs except for conduct unbecoming of the brand, and no, being difficult in contract negotiations doesn't qualify.

The players also somewhat earn there endorsement money, its easy, but they actually have to do things for it, unlike the outright tax break in places like Florida.

Do they also buy houses etc in CAD in florida?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Do they also buy houses etc in CAD in florida?
No, but you really want to compare the average prices of houses in Tampa to Toronto (which is one of the most expensive real-estate markets in NA along with Manhatten, Vancouver, and San Francisco)? Pretty much all the major benefits of higher taxes in Canada, don't apply to wealthy athletes in the States. They send their kids to private schools (or live in counties with very high-end public schools, due to school funding being more localized), their medical staff is fully paid for by the team, and they have great benefit packages through the NHLPA.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I think it's too late to get fair value in a trade since teams now know you are not able to sign the player and the fact the organization is in a winning window, the only resolution at this point is to get a bridge (2 yrs not 3 yrs) at a number below Aho's AAV or you have no choice but to let him sit the rest of the season and trade him in the offseason
Yeah, this post reeks of epic fail.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Not that the playoffs should be the only sample size used (but yes, he was terrible on the PK in the playoffs), but I don't think he did well enough on the PK to claim that he deserves more money because he PKed. Like if he doesn't want to PK, I'd gladly give those minutes to much cheaper guys who can probably be as good, if not better, than him on the PK...

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
No, but you really want to compare the average prices of houses in Tampa to Toronto (which is one of the most expensive real-estate markets in NA along with Manhatten, Vancouver, and San Francisco)? Pretty much all the major benefits of higher taxes in Canada, don't apply to wealthy athletes in the States. They send their kids to private schools (or live in counties with very high-end public schools, due to school funding being more localized), their medical staff is fully paid for by the team, and they have great benefit packages through the NHLPA.

It nullifies the tax argument. Marner would have totaled $116M before tax that is $28M more than the same contract in a US state with similar tax. Also those endorsements aren't hard, they certainly do no acting training before those commercials. And to top it all off when we are talking about money amounts this large there are loopholes the players tax so they aren't paying the full tax you or I pay.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Not that the playoffs should be the only sample size used (but yes, he was terrible on the PK in the playoffs), but I don't think he did well enough on the PK to claim that he deserves more money because he PKed. Like if he doesn't want to PK, I'd gladly give those minutes to much cheaper guys who can probably be as good, if not better, than him on the PK...
I don't think the thought is he should be paid extra because of his PK ability.
His PK ability shows that he can be used in all situations.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
To be honest though, Jefflers point about Tavares production and Marner not having an impact on it is a joke. Tavares blew up his 5v5 numbers. The main reason he didn't blow through career high's is that he wasn't not the primary playmaker on the PP like he was his entire time in NYI, and he saw his PP time reduced. Plus, it is foolish to think a player like Marner wouldn't progress between the ages of 20 and 21 given his pedigree and status.

The PK thing is foolish, but we are seeing two people argue who are both ignoring key facts to frame their debate.

Reactions: Lauro and ACC1224

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017

I think you could get fair value for him.

He's practically Auston Matthews.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Did jt score 40 because of Marner or did Marner get 40 assists from jt?
If you were starting a franchise tomorrow and could pick one of those two who would you choose?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
It nullifies the tax argument. Marner would have totaled $116M before tax that is $28M more than the same contract in a US state with similar tax. Also those endorsements aren't hard, they certainly do know acting training before those commercials. And to top it all off when we are talking about money amounts this large there are loopholes the players tax so they aren't paying the full tax you or I pay.
How does the currency nullify it? A Canadian dollar isn't equal to an American dollar in purchasing power. Items aren't cheaper in Canada because of the exchange rate. If you are arguing because he gets more Canadian money after-tax than he would American in the states after conversion, I don't know what to say. You might have a point if the dollars were equal in purchasing power but they aren't.

It requires time and going to events. They aren't hard, but they absolutely aren't comparable to the tax breaks.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
If you were starting a franchise tomorrow and could pick one of those two who would you choose?

well age dictates Marner obviously, They got there 40's due to both being elite talents it really is as simple as that. JT never had a winger as good as marner and Manrer a center as good as JT

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They helped each other.

Most would pick Marner.

Reactions: Lauro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad