Salary Cap: RFA Marner - Silence until solution to the matter one way or the other

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
Really
This post and thought process is exactly why there’s so many players feeling slighted and entitled.
If you are offered millions to shovel ish then you shut up and shovel with a smile on your face and think about spending your million without concern what other shovelers get
Jfc
Society is willing to paint their faces with the greed brush while starving to death smdh

Marner asking for more money isn't starving anyone to death. Quit the hyperbole.

You'll be staning him once he's got his contract signed, no matter how many millions it's for.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Really
This post and thought process is exactly why there’s so many players feeling slighted and entitled.
If you are offered millions to shovel ish then you shut up and shovel with a smile on your face and think about spending your million without concern what other shovelers get
Jfc
Society is willing to paint their faces with the greed brush while starving to death smdh

To me this has nothing to do with inherent worth or market value or what one deserves.

In another world, Marner could get $20m a year for his unique talents.

What matters is that we have a HARD CAP and we need to win as a TEAM. I care about the Leafs more than Marner.

And if he's not being reasonable, he can gtfo.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Marner asking for more money isn't starving anyone to death. Quit the hyperbole.

You'll be staning him once he's got his contract signed, no matter how many millions it's for.
Lol no I can guarantee you I will 100% not be staning anyone and certainly will never look at Marner the same way again.
I’m not one of you fair weather fans that forgets how people act.
I don’t care if something is within your rights.
That doesn’t make it right

If I see Mitch or his family out and about anywhere in the city the only thing I will do is throw my pocket change at them

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Lol no I can guarantee you I will 100% not be staning anyone and certainly will never look at Marner the same way again.
I’m not one of you fair weather fans that forgets how people act.
I don’t care if something is within your rights.
That doesn’t make it right

If I see Mitch or his family out and about anywhere in the city the only thing I will do is throw my pocket change at them

I agree with this. Him and his father are morally repugnant. Will boo him at games. If I see them out in public I will loudly hiss. Hisssssss Hisssssss

Zack47

Oct 21, 2017
Sometimes, just sometimes, you have to step back, and look at the bigger picture. A few sentences will not get there, so.... more.

I honestly do not understand what Marner was thinking all along. If the Leafs have no more money, what was the point? It seems obvious now that Dubas could be more like those who are willing call all of this out, and earlier. Marner is expecting an absurd contract. No matter what, nothing will change that fact now, even if he agrees to something less. People seem to think that thinking about the team, or winning, is dumb, but I question this fundamentally. Somewhere along the way, this all became something about money -- and it is nonsense. Rory McIlory won the Fedex Cup, $15 million, and basically said, we care about winning, not the money. I quote that because no one says that about these young players. Every media person on air and in print keeps saying over and over "its' his right to try to get everything he can." That's true, but no one seems to ask this: but is it a good idea? I expected Marner to care about winning more than the money, and yes, to care about his carefully crafted image, which you CANNOT get back. He doesn't seem to get it. Bad advice, I hope that explains it.

Any hockey player who has a minimal sense of math at all SHOULD be able to figure out that asking for another million dollars IS a million taken away from someone else. That is the truth of the salary cap. No matter what, that extra million could result in lower quality teammates, if you calculate that effect across 3 or 4 top players. So what does it take to win Mitch? It takes more than you and Auston and JT and Willie. There has to be a team there, and a good defence. If Marner cared about winning, rather than himself, if any of them actually cared, then these outrageous expectations wouldn't occur. They would realize they WANT better teammates -- to win the cup. Hw much is that worth to Mitch, rather than the extra .5 million or whatever? I thought it was a lot; now I wonder. I wonder whether you can have a team this top heavy without giving up too much down the line in talent. Two good goalies are a necessity. A 4th line that does something is a necessity. The third pair on defence is important. Add that up: it's a few million more per person before you get to a balanced team.

Marner should have signed long ago, and turning down $11 million for 7 years seems completely blind. Mitch: simple truth. The Leafs are out of money, they have offered everything they could because they do value you, what in god's name were you waiting for? What imaginary world did your agent and / or dad paint that made this happen?

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Somebody pinch me, because it feels like I'm dreaming and caught in a nightmare.

First Marner last summer offers Dubas $72 mil over 8 years and Dubas turned it down as "too rich".

Then Dubas offers Marner $11 mil over 7/8 years this summer (which is +$2 mil more then he turned down earlier), and Marner turns it down as "too low".

Is this really happening?

On the narrative that the Leafs couldn’t get started on Marner until Nylander was done last summer:
One takeaway with Dubas today that caught my eye, and think of it what you will, and I am guilty as anyone else of pushing this narrative last year that the Leafs weren’t that interested in signing Marner last year because they wanted to get Nylander done first because of the domino effect. Dubas completely reset the narrative and said that is not true. The first meeting he took as Leafs GM in May 2018 was with Darren Ferris, Mitch Marner’s agent. Things worked out the way they did for whatever reason they did, but he wants to make it clear that narrative that has gained traction over time [is wrong]. They were interested. It just didn’t happen.​
Reports: Toronto Maple Leafs management, Mitch Marner camp both open to three-year deal

Reactions: taurine330

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Gotta think it's close to happening based on the following:

Dreger and Johnson posting positive news
Babcock saying they're gonna name a captain soon(Matthews)

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
I heard this and saw it on HNIC on TV for all to see.

$72M was discussion point prior to season for Marner, Maple Leafs

$72M was discussion point prior to season for Marner, Maple Leafs - Sportsnet.ca

That came from Kypreos and I haven't seen anyone else in the media mention this. Kypreos doesn't even mention term

“Many people talking, suggesting maybe the best chance to sign him on a long-term deal, Ron, would have been in the summer,” Nick Kypreos told Ron MacLean Saturday during the Headlines segment of Hockey Night in Canada. “The discussion point was around $72 million prior to the season and my understanding is it was too rich for the Toronto Maple Leafs.”

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
There have been guys who had their most points in a season around age 21-22-23. So it's just in my opinion, it's 50-50 that he gets more than 94 points again. I hope he gets more, it would be fun to see. I hope he, Matthews, JT, Willy all score a ton of points. Most importantly, though, they need to score ton of points in the playoffs. Regular season is nothing. It's just a warm up.
Do you feel the others have peaked as well or just Marner?

Reactions: Stamkos4life

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Sometimes, just sometimes, you have to step back, and look at the bigger picture. A few sentences will not get there, so.... more.

I honestly do not understand what Marner was thinking all along. If the Leafs have no more money, what was the point? It seems obvious now that Dubas could be more like those who are willing call all of this out, and earlier. Marner is expecting an absurd contract. No matter what, nothing will change that fact now, even if he agrees to something less. People seem to think that thinking about the team, or winning, is dumb, but I question this fundamentally. Somewhere along the way, this all became something about money -- and it is nonsense. Rory McIlory won the Fedex Cup, $15 million, and basically said, we care about winning, not the money. I quote that because no one says that about these young players. Every media person on air and in print keeps saying over and over "its' his right to try to get everything he can." That's true, but no one seems to ask this: but is it a good idea? I expected Marner to care about winning more than the money, and yes, to care about his carefully crafted image, which you CANNOT get back. He doesn't seem to get it. Bad advice, I hope that explains it.

Any hockey player who has a minimal sense of math at all SHOULD be able to figure out that asking for another million dollars IS a million taken away from someone else. That is the truth of the salary cap. No matter what, that extra million could result in lower quality teammates, if you calculate that effect across 3 or 4 top players. So what does it take to win Mitch? It takes more than you and Auston and JT and Willie. There has to be a team there, and a good defence. If Marner cared about winning, rather than himself, if any of them actually cared, then these outrageous expectations wouldn't occur. They would realize they WANT better teammates -- to win the cup. Hw much is that worth to Mitch, rather than the extra .5 million or whatever? I thought it was a lot; now I wonder. I wonder whether you can have a team this top heavy without giving up too much down the line in talent. Two good goalies are a necessity. A 4th line that does something is a necessity. The third pair on defence is important. Add that up: it's a few million more per person before you get to a balanced team.

Marner should have signed long ago, and turning down $11 million for 7 years seems completely blind. Mitch: simple truth. The Leafs are out of money, they have offered everything they could because they do value you, what in god's name were you waiting for? What imaginary world did your agent and / or dad paint that made this happen?
The same goes for all of the players then, right?

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Gotta think it's close to happening based on the following:

Dreger and Johnson posting positive news
Babcock saying they're gonna name a captain soon(Matthews)

Did Babcock really say that? I haven't been following closely so I missed it I guess, would be cool if they finally did it I guess.

I hope Marner is signed by this weekend, then I can start to think about hockey again. It's gonna get done at some point, it just makes too much sense that it will. :)

93WrapAround

Jul 4, 2018
To me this has nothing to do with inherent worth or market value or what one deserves.

In another world, Marner could get $20m a year for his unique talents.

What matters is that we have a HARD CAP and we need to win as a TEAM. I care about the Leafs more than Marner.

And if he's not being reasonable, he can gtfo.

This is laughable in reality but only pumped because fans don't care about the reality of the situation nor try to. If your employer had a hard budget and handed out a few too many stupid raises so couldn't offer you a raise, despite you being a much more productive/better employee than those who got the raises, you'd likely care just a slight bit. And that's regardless of how much you were getting paid.

But continue back into your fantasy/fan world.

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
Nope.

This stuff is tuff to comprehend, especially when you’re blinded, but Dreger actually said in his tweet “this week” - obviously he’s been talking with Ferris all along so this is very good news if you want Marner signed.
Couple that with Friedman’s tweet and I am for once cautiously optimist something gets done soon and Mitch gets into camp.
Cautiously optimistic means - I hope it gets done and fully understand that it may not come to fruition ( may not actually happen) and that both reporters are telling us what they hearing.

Good on you for comprehending so much...

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Did Babcock really say that? I haven't been following closely so I missed it I guess, would be cool if they finally did it I guess.

I hope Marner is signed by this weekend, then I can start to think about hockey again. It's gonna get done at some point, it just makes too much sense that it will. :)

Yep.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
This is laughable in reality but only pumped because fans don't care about the reality of the situation nor try to. If your employer had a hard budget and handed out a few too many stupid raises so couldn't offer you a raise, despite you being a much more productive/better employee than those who got the raises, you'd likely care just a slight bit. And that's regardless of how much you were getting paid.

This last sentence reeks of irony.

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON

If Marner feels that way, he should kindly gtfo. Good God the Ego on this kid. Must have learned from Babcock.

Pathetic Marners.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Somebody pinch me, because it feels like I'm dreaming and caught in a nightmare.

First Marner last summer offers Dubas $72 mil over 8 years and Dubas turned it down as "too rich".

Then Dubas offers Marner $11 mil over 7/8 years this summer (which is +$2 mil more then he turned down earlier), and Marner turns it down as "too low".

Is this really happening?
Landscape changed when Matthews signed.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
St Louis won the cup without Mitch Marner. But really, I'm not a fan of any of the 3 young stars in how they handled all of this. They all became rock stars and they all wanted 11 mil without earning it first.

Tavares has personal trophies. Won a gold medal for Canada. Was the captain of the Islanders for over 8 seasons. He EARNED his contract. Handing over 11.6 to Matthews over 5 started all this mess.

You have an agent that feels he can bully Dubas the way Matthews did. (because nobody before that gave a kid that kind of high AAV short term deal, so I get the logic here from Marner's camp)

These kids have burned me out of hockey. I don't see a care or commitment to wanting to win, or to win for Toronto. I think they've all been coached to say the right things in interviews..."thank the fans, thank Toronto...best city to play for, yadda yadda. But their actions in what they control outside of scripted speeches has told me that they really don't give a shit.

They are getting paid American to play and live in Canada. Marner would be getting 116 mil to live and play in Toronto. And don't give me the damn state taxes crap. The Leafs sign mostly signing bonus heavy contracts. Which negate Escrow. Which basically nullifies any advantage of no State teams who can't afford to do that. And I havn't even mentioned the merch income from being a star in Toronto.

Tavares didn't start this mess. He earned his 11 * 7. Matthews started this mess and he's our next captain. *sigh*. Nylander's lock out was needless and he ended up with the most fair contract of the 3. And Marner? Marner turning down a drastic OVERPAY of 11*7 because his ego can't handle the fact that he's not Matthews?

Well whatever.

It's a team game. These 3 play for themselves. They are rockstars. We won't win with rockstars and a collection of individuals.

I'm tired of it.

Last edited:

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Dreger on 1050: "I have never once had a conversation with Paul Marner"

Hilarious. Reminds me of the senate hearing in Godfather 2 and how Willy Cicci didn't actually get any orders from Michael.

Right, yeah, a buffer. The family had a lot of buffers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad