Salary Cap: RFA Marner - Silence until solution to the matter one way or the other

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
I follow this very closely and I didn’t know they made this step.

Glad to know you’re way ahead of us, and now I expect you’ll break the signing, when it happens, ahead of Dreger and Friedman
I think I might it will happen in the next few weeks but might drag on a little bit more but they are talking and progress has been made but still lots of work to do, term and money might still be a problem but both sides seem willing to talk result should happen soon..

I think that will make me right somehow....:popcorn:

Heisen

Mar 27, 2019
Yeah, so..... he's not eligible. Like Nylander, do your research.

Not eligible? A qualifying offer was made to Marner. If it wasn't, he'd be making $16 million somewhere else right now after a short stint as a UFA. He's not eligible for a 1 year deal? What?

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Not eligible? A qualifying offer was made to Marner. If it wasn't, he'd be making $16 million somewhere else right now after a short stint as a UFA. He's not eligible for a 1 year deal? What?
Players coming off an ELC are not arbitration eligible.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Its beyond that, these two are demanding top 5 player in the league salaries. One of them got it, I mean. Unreal.

At least Matthews is in the realm of players who deserve that kind of treatment, and have received it in the past. Marner is not. Marner on a 5 year deal should be at no more than 9.3 mill, which is where Kane was if you adjust for cap inflation.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Players coming off an ELC are not arbitration eligible.

I think a team can elect arbitration on an RFA once. It's rarely ever done though. Player arbitration can happen at like 24 or something and happens for the rest of his RFA years until he is a UFA.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I think a team can elect arbitration on an RFA once. It's rarely ever done though. Player arbitration can happen at like 24 or something and happens for the rest of his RFA years until he is a UFA.
Correct. Just not off an ELC.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Every player in the league claims they just love playing the game!
None of them have ever had real jobs and stress.
If you get offered millions of dollars to do something you claim you love you should consider that already winning.
Being a greedy pig to get money that you can’t even spend does nothing but make your team worse in the years to come.
If he signs for 10plus that almost guarantees that mo, Barrie and muzzin are all gone.
Being on a winning team and having a chance every year has value imo and the kids these days have no idea

I would consider it winning if someone offered millions of dollars to do anything (legal). I would be happy with a $1M x 1 year deal to shovel shit every day.

SeaOfBlue

Aug 1, 2013
Correct. Just not off an ELC.

I thought a team could have done it even if he was not player arbitration eligible. IDK I haven't read the full CBA yet, and I probably won't until they draft the new one in a few years.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Yeah, so..... he's not eligible. Like Nylander, do your research.
I goofed. Mea culpa.

I still think that it's "take it or leave it time" or damn close to it for Toronto management. They've opened up the vault but they can't leave it open forever. At the end of the day, management still has a huge amount of leverage with an RFA if they chose to play hardball-and Marner deserves a high and tight fastball about now.

RoyalCitySlicker

Sep 6, 2013
I would consider it winning if someone offered millions of dollars to do anything (legal). I would be happy with a $1M x 1 year deal to shovel **** every day.

Even if all your poop shoveling buddies were earning more than you?

Yours is an easy and understandable sentiment.....but its very easy to make that claim when you know you'll never be faced with that decision.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Correct. Just not off an ELC. They require 4 years.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Even if all your poop shoveling buddies were earning more than you?

Yours is an easy and understandable sentiment.....but its very easy to make that claim when you know you'll never be faced with that decision.

Really
This post and thought process is exactly why there’s so many players feeling slighted and entitled.
If you are offered millions to shovel ish then you shut up and shovel with a smile on your face and think about spending your million without concern what other shovelers get
Jfc
Society is willing to paint their faces with the greed brush while starving to death smdh

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I think I might it will happen in the next few weeks but might drag on a little bit more but they are talking and progress has been made but still lots of work to do, term and money might still be a problem but both sides seem willing to talk result should happen soon..

I think that will make me right somehow....:popcorn:

Nope.

This stuff is tuff to comprehend, especially when you’re blinded, but Dreger actually said in his tweet “this week” - obviously he’s been talking with Ferris all along so this is very good news if you want Marner signed.
Couple that with Friedman’s tweet and I am for once cautiously optimist something gets done soon and Mitch gets into camp.
Cautiously optimistic means - I hope it gets done and fully understand that it may not come to fruition ( may not actually happen) and that both reporters are telling us what they hearing.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I thought a team could have done it even if he was not player arbitration eligible. IDK I haven't read the full CBA yet, and I probably won't until they draft the new one in a few years.
Most players must have four years of NHL experience before they are eligible for salary arbitration (the term is reduced for those who signed their first NHL contract after the age of 20). The process is used by restricted free agents because it is one of the few bargaining options available to them.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Somebody pinch me, because it feels like I'm dreaming and caught in a nightmare.

First Marner last summer offers Dubas $72 mil over 8 years and Dubas turned it down as "too rich".

Then Dubas offers Marner $11 mil over 7/8 years this summer (which is +$2 mil more then he turned down earlier), and Marner turns it down as "too low".

Is this really happening?

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Somebody pinch me, because it feels like I'm dreaming and caught in a nightmare.

First Marner last summer offers Dubas $72 mil over 8 years and Dubas turned it down as "too rich".

Then Dubas offers Marner $11 mil over 7/8 years this summer (which is +$2 mil more then he turned down earlier), and Marner turns it down as "too low".

it tells you that the "offer" last year was bullshit. That's what this all does.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
it tells you that the "offer" last year was bull****. That's what this all does.
It was BS. That may have been an ask before Tavares (which means it couldn't have been signed because he wasn't eligible to sign yet), but once Tavares was signed, they weren't interested in negotiations.

Blue Nate

Sep 27, 2017
St Catharines

There was never an offer next summer as Mitch's camp has been consistent in wanting to wait till after his ELC was completed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad