Salary Cap: RFA Marner - Silence until solution to the matter one way or the other

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
That's great, glad you feel that way. This is going nowhere so I'm out.
"Do your research, he said this, this and this"
"I've googled it and can't find it, can you please provide it"
"nyehhh"

Yea good luck to you.

Reactions: ACC1224

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
The realistic prospect of Marner being signed 6 years under 10.5 has me stoked. That's a window blown wide open for 5+ years, not need to tear things apart. It's huge

Reactions: Smif and Erndog

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Is this something that has actually happened or is it something you've entirely made up in your head?

Toronto is a fishbowl, Dreger is an idiot -- I feel like these two things are what you have an issue with.. again nothing MM16 can control.

Huh? That all happened

Reactions: stickty111 and kb

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This isn't news it's captain obvious territory...
D_siQA0XYAAA_GJ.jpg

I follow this very closely and I didn’t know they made this step.

Glad to know you’re way ahead of us, and now I expect you’ll break the signing, when it happens, ahead of Dreger and Friedman

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
6x10.5 seems more player friendly than 7x11, he's getting to UFA a year earlier and only sacrificing 500k off the AAV to do so. Hopefully it comes in below 10.25, which is still an overpayment of 500k-1 million, but tolerable.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
No but he was absolutely insane not to sign 11M×7-8 when it was put in front of him, 88M US plus endorsements is Scrooge McDuck levels of money

Was auston insane for not signing for 11.6 x 8? That's 92.8 million!

kb

Aug 28, 2009
To which Mitch will reply

Thank you, Austin tells me Switzerland is great. I'm good for the airport but could you ask him to pick me up on April 5th, I'll book the tee time. You wanna play too?
Which is fantastic. The league spoke and said you aren't worth it. How about you move there permanently. In the meantime, your rights belong to Arizona when you decide to come back.

Enjoy your $500k

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
The realistic prospect of Marner being signed 6 years under 10.5 has me stoked. That's a window blown wide open for 5+ years, not need to tear things apart. It's huge

I don't think that is what will happen. either 6 years right at $10.5 or it will be a 3 year deal . Ca see them accepting anything less on a 6 year

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
6x10.5 seems more player friendly than 7x11, he's getting to UFA a year earlier and only sacrificing 500k off the AAV to do so. Hopefully it comes in below 10.25, which is still an overpayment of 500k-1 million, but tolerable.

10.16x6 makes sense. 10.5x6 was just LeBrun's hypothesis of what would work for both sides. It may have not even been discussed.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
If Dubas had any guts at all, he'd withdraw all previous offers and just give Marner a one year qualifying offer, "say take it or leave it" and be done with it for this year.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
"nyehhh"

Yea good luck to you.

"nyehhh"

Yea good luck to you.
$11 million for. 22 goal (avg) scorer who doesn't inflate his linemates stats?

Good one Paul, good one.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
I agree on this. I made a post earlier about how 7 players are getting the basic minimum of around $700k ...so how does it work when one or 2 of them plays well and asks for a raise? what do we do..trade away the new Russian or Moore because they played better than replacement level salary levels?

If the big 3 took $500K-$1m less that would alleviate a lot of stress on the GM to continually come up with players being paid league Min and outplay their deals significantly. I don't know what happened to them...it just sucks that Chiapet started this whole thing with Drais and paid him way more than expected.

If Willy sat last year we don't have nearly as many guys willing to gamble on sitting out. It would scare the crap out of them. Even if Dubas didn't cave...it looks like crap because Willy was pretty much useless for the rest of the year.

You need to chill out, the cap situation is frying your noodle. Traditionally, the cap goes up 3-5 million every year. That means even though we'll be going into this season with pretty much zero cap space we'll be starting next year with an extra 3-5 and the following year with another 3-5 and likely more than that when the expansion occurs. In addition, next year we have 7 defencemen who will be hitting UFA/FRA status. How we go about resigning some of those players or promoting from within (ie Sandin, Liljegren) will also go along way to determining how much extra money we have for our 3rd/4th tier forwards. If Marner signs for 11M we will have 18-20M in cap space next year.

I love Moore as a player and am pretty excited to see what Mikheyev can bring to the team. The latter is an RFA next year and the former is a RFA the following year. The key here is they are still not UFA's and we should be able to handle 1-2M increases in their salary if they perform at that level.

Finally, once Marner signs we will have one of the top 3 forward corps in the NHL signed under contract anywhere from 3-7 years. Hopefully, Marner is signed for 6-7 years so we don't have to worry about the big 4 until Matthews/Nylander in 2024/2025.

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
It’s not semantics at all.

Deceptively is key word. Let’s say Marner and the Leafs agreed in principle on a 11 million AAV. In order to make that work Dubas had to make a trade and traded Ceci freeing up another 4.5 million in cap space. Once this happens, Marner says, you have enough space now,I want the Matthews deal...that’s bad faith negotiating.
Or, conversely, management putting the 11 x 7 offer out there, Marner saying yes, and management withdrawing/lowering the offer.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If Dubas had any guts at all, he'd withdraw all previous offers and just give Marner a one year qualifying offer, "say take it or leave it" and be done with it for this year.
Yeah, so..... he's not eligible. Like Nylander, do your research.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
"I haven't been following but I know you're wrong, for reasons...."
Ciao
I haven't been following as much as some is what I've said, still seen notable news lines and peered through this thread and the main board one a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad