Salary Cap: RFA Marner - Silence until solution to the matter one way or the other

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
Probably until Barrie or Muzzin.... or then Rielly... it'll never end lol

I know, I can dream though. Unfortunately we're definitely foot to lose one of Barrie or Muzzin and when we do, even though we'll have known it was coming all year, "fans" are going to use it as a referendum to **** talk the teams best players. Maybe we can just take a break in season, ya know, talk about what's happening on the ice without some goon throwing a fit about Nylander's points per cap hit on every page of the GDT.

Reactions: Burnie97

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Injuries are a part of the game and can happen to anyone.
Elite players come into the league early as late 17-18 year olds. Marner was 19. There is no way they are maxed out and are out of their prime by 21-22. Players are constantly adapting to changing circumstances and looking for ways to improve their game.

You can believe that, you're definitely entitled to that. But to back it up with only Malkin and/or Crosby as your comparable (who suffered serious injuries to his brain) is a reach.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
11 x 7yrs
9 x 5yrs
7 x 3yrs
Pick one or have fun in Switzerland!!!!
Do you need Austin to drive you to the airport?
Should be the next message from Dubas

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
The prospect package and 11 million in cap space could probably help a lot more then people are realizing

I agree on this. I made a post earlier about how 7 players are getting the basic minimum of around $700k ...so how does it work when one or 2 of them plays well and asks for a raise? what do we do..trade away the new Russian or Moore because they played better than replacement level salary levels?

If the big 3 took $500K-$1m less that would alleviate a lot of stress on the GM to continually come up with players being paid league Min and outplay their deals significantly. I don't know what happened to them...it just sucks that Chiapet started this whole thing with Drais and paid him way more than expected.

If Willy sat last year we don't have nearly as many guys willing to gamble on sitting out. It would scare the crap out of them. Even if Dubas didn't cave...it looks like crap because Willy was pretty much useless for the rest of the year.

Matthews4Calder

Nov 27, 2016
BC Western Canada
I'm personally tired of listening to it all. All the boards, TV and internet. Everywhere you go that's all that's being talked about.
Love the kid, love his talent, love his work ethic and desire but time to ship him off.

Asking way too much and I feel part of that blame is management (Dubas). Is it just me or are there some good deals being signed around the league but we seem to pay high price for ours.
Wasn't happy with the Nylander drama and at that time said send him off or let him sit and feeling the same now with Mitch.

He feels he's getting slighted and thinks he should get paid Matthews money.
Do I like Matthews contract? Not really but in my opinion he's the better player and more valuable. Needs to stay healthy and he will put up better numbers with the proper usage and linemates.

Getting back to Mitch hate to lose him but I think we've put ourselves in a bind with these contracts. I would trade him for some solid pieces, better contracts or take the 4 picks if he gets offered. Going to need some good drafting or more affordable players once Andersen Reilly need new contracts not even mentioning what they are going to do with Muzzin and Barrie.

I think the issue here is Marner doesn't want to play second fiddle and Matthews will always be the guy. The star, the guy in the spotlight and the face of the franchise.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
Yes because players clearly hit their peak at age 21..

People talk as if Marner is 28 and his best years are behind him. His IQ, playmaking ability, edges, mobility, etc are elite. His shot is *above* average, but unlike a bad skater, he can develop his shot.

Last edited:

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Why should Leafs cave? Let Marner cave so he can actually get paid and Leafs get his services back and win. Doesn’t he even want to get paid anything this year? He doesn’t actually think he has the leverage, does he? Only reason it seems that way is because Dubas keeps giving to him.
Not being privy to the conversation, it is difficult to know what was said in the past or currently. No one is caving. This will either be good business or bad business.

McSnypsky

Jun 22, 2019
What’s wrong with that?
This isn't news it's captain obvious territory...
D_siQA0XYAAA_GJ.jpg

Reactions: glue and Leafsfan74

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
So basically, it could happen, or it won't happen? Thanks for the insight Dregger.

To follow up on Dregers insight, I'd like to report that Marner may or may not sign this year with the Leafs. If he does sign, it could be signed some time within the hour, or, at worst, in the offseason. If he doesn't sign before the deadline, my sources tell me Leafs will trade him, or, he will sit out this season.

TSN can send me a cheque in the mail for my services. I've worked hard to nurture trust with my insiders.

Reactions: glue

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Probably until Barrie or Muzzin.... or then Rielly... it'll never end lol

But if they ever take away the cap... then people wouldn't talk about it anymore.

Yes it will always be talked about, more so than the actual players ability. Quite a shame. Match salaries here match salaries there. First thing people do when there is a trade they go to capfriendly etc lol

Reactions: Burnie97

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Dreger just said on LL he feels a lot better a deal gets done really quick than he did yesterday. Stuff flying around everywhere.

As I’ve said all summer while people have lost their minds on here, it’s just now that the PRESSURE point starts! Relax, here we go.....

The pressure point came when 11M×7 being turned down was leaked by the team, it's amazing what the entire fan base turning on you and millions of dollars of endorsements slipping through your fingers can do

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
11 x 7yrs
9 x 5yrs
7 x 3yrs
Pick one or have fun in Switzerland!!!!
Do you need Austin to drive you to the airport?
Should be the next message from Dubas
To which Mitch will reply

Thank you, Austin tells me Switzerland is great. I'm good for the airport but could you ask him to pick me up on April 5th, I'll book the tee time. You wanna play too?

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The pressure point came when 11M×7 being turned down was leaked by the team, it's amazing what the entire fan base turning on you and millions of dollars of endorsements slipping through your fingers can do
Nope it’s training camp starting. You really thought he was going to sign in August? Okie dokie.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
No, who you associate with, work with, hire, etc.. it's all a reflection on you as a person.

Anyone who doesn't shout and boo at Marner now, I seriously have to think they too, are not a good person.
And how many participation medals are you proud of winning as a child? As an adult, you need to work all sides to succeed. Diversity of thought and skill gives you a chance to win. Participation doesnt win.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
People talk as if Marner is 28 and his best years are behind him. His IQ, playmaking ability, edges, mobility, etc are elite. His shot is *above* average, but unlike a bad skater, he can develop his shot.

In what crazy world is his shot above average? Come on.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
To which Mitch will reply

Thank you, Austin tells me Switzerland is great. I'm good for the airport but could you ask him to pick me up on April 5th, I'll book the tee time. You wanna play too?
No sir the team will be busy in the playoffs and celebrating the success of our new team.
Sorry you couldn’t land that spaceship you call an ego and join in.
Good luck with the golf game btw maybe the tour will sign you for 11 plus mil

Iceguy24

Feb 3, 2009
Newmarket, ON
Please do 6 x 10.16, thats a marginal overpayment but better than what has been floating around lately..

Everyone will forget these contract shenanigans when Marner puts up a 100+ point season in the next 2 years :laugh:
This makes too much sense from a numerological point of view...

One six year contract - "1 - 6"
AAV is $10.16M - another "1 -6"
Total contract amount is $61M - "1 - 6 reversed"

Reactions: Once
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad