Salary Cap: RFA Marner - Silence until solution to the matter one way or the other

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
If he signs 6 years at 10.5 or less... at this point I guess its better then a lot of us were thinking. Not great... but better.

Im sure its been said a bunch of times earlier ... but when this stuff happens... it seems to make it look like they leak it... so Marner if he does indeed sign for less than speculated... doesn't look as greedy then.

I don't mind admitting I was pissed at the 11 x 7 ask and its turned away... but I still think he's a heck of a talent. So hopefully if what friedman is saying is true... get this shit over with and get playing Marner.

Hopefully for his sake he puts up multiple 80 to 90 point seasons.

Reactions: ACC1224

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
It's almost worth quoting some of these "I'll never cheer for Marner" posters, just to make them look stupid in half a season.

Of course you'll love and cheer marner when he puts up 90 points and scores a series clinching goal. No matter the contract, I'm sure everyone will come around.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Why do a few posters tell everyone else how to feel? You do you
Merely offering a suggestion to make watching the game more enjoyable. If you or anyone wants to hate, by all means. I can understand it. It's just the kind of stuff people are referring to when they suggest Leafs fans run their players out of town.

I'm not innocent of this. I tried my damndest to not hate on Gardiner, but failed. It's difficult to contain emotions. But I find the more effort I put into being a supportive fan (without wearing blinders), the more enjoyable the game is.

At the end of the day, the win is all that matters. If Marner waits til the night before the first game to sign, then comes in, plays his ass off and produces the way we know he can, I can let it go.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
It's almost worth quoting some of these "I'll never cheer for Marner" posters, just to make them look stupid in half a season.

Of course you'll love and cheer marner when he puts up 90 points and scores a series clinching goal. No matter the contract, I'm sure everyone will come around.
Minimum 100 points this year in a full season.

Reactions: Once

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Merely offering a suggestion to make watching the game more enjoyable. If you or anyone wants to hate, by all means. I can understand it. It's just the kind of stuff people are referring to when they suggest Leafs fans run their players out of town.

I'm not innocent of this. I tried my damndest to not hate on Gardiner, but failed. It's difficult to contain emotions. But I find the more effort I put into being a supportive fan (without wearing blinders), the more enjoyable the game is.

At the end of the day, the win is all that matters. If Marner waits til the night before the first game to sign, then comes in, plays his ass off and produces the way we know he can, I can let it go.
Maturity can be a rare trait

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
10.5 mil for a 26 goal scorer is still insanity

Bringing up other worse contracts doesn’t make that look any better imo

Raymondo316

Nov 11, 2007
Maidstone England
If Mitch only signs for 3 years id put money on him being traded within a year or 2.

No way management will want to go through this process again and have to deal with Mitch & his crazy advisors demanding 14-15 million a year.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
10.5 mil for a 26 goal scorer is still insanity

Bringing up other worse contracts doesn’t make that look any better imo

Can't look at just goals, gotta look at everything he does. Heck 10.5 is a lot for a guy with 13 career assists too Carey Price

Could say That 11.634M is a lot for a centre whose career high in assists is 36.

Here are some centres who had more than 36 assists last year

Phil Danault 41
Chris tierney 39
D Strome 37

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Yeah those leaks yesterday destroyed them and I'm sure it was a PR nightmare. I'm actually shocked Ferris didn't attempt to at least deny the claims through a couple radio hits to defend Marner and their position. That tells me all I need to know to be perfectly honest.

For me no denial from Ferris seems to support the accuracy of the numbers being reported.

Where often rumours need to be taken with a grain a salt, but no denials seem to suggest this is now low sodium rumours and likely factual as reported.

Reactions: TorontoMapleLindros

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Nylander is $400/500K overpaid so, extrapolating Marner being $600K overpaid isn't horrible. Neither would ever kill our team so no need to build trade values etc

I'm more saying it is a deal that would give us more leverage to trade him at some point during his contract than we likely have right now.

As long as it is structured like Nylander's where it is front loaded with bonuses so there's not a lot of real money to be paid out when we may be looking at trading him (therefore increasing the number of trading partners and the amount we can receive in return), I'll live with the overpay. Just shows that money was more important than the team for Marner, and that is how people are likely going to be looking at him now...

It's actually even worse than Nylander, because at least Nylander could have made a legitimate claim that the Leafs may have been forced to trade him down the line due to cap constraints (40+ mill tied up to our top 4 forwards is not sustainable unless the cap goes up significantly in the next 3 years), and that if he was not going to play in Toronto like he wanted, he at least wanted to be properly compensated. I can at least understand where he's coming from. Marner did not have those concerns because the Leafs would never have considered trading him (just like they almost certainly would not with Tavares and Matthews) if they ran into cap trouble. However after all of this, and showing money>team, I am not so sure that luxury applies to him anymore.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Better not be and I don't see why it would.

There have been guys who had their most points in a season around age 21-22-23. So it's just in my opinion, it's 50-50 that he gets more than 94 points again. I hope he gets more, it would be fun to see. I hope he, Matthews, JT, Willy all score a ton of points. Most importantly, though, they need to score ton of points in the playoffs. Regular season is nothing. It's just a warm up.

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
Can't look at just goals, gotta look at everything he does. Heck 10.5 is a lot for a guy with 13 career assists too Carey Price

Could say That 11.634M is a lot for a centre whose career high in assists is 36.

Here are some centres who had more than 36 assists last year

Phil Danault 41
Chris tierney 39
D Strome 37
10.5 is too much regardless which stat you wanna cherry pick.
And for the record I’m not claiming Matthews deal is good either. As I said bringing up other bad deals doesn’t make anyone feel better about these crazy demands.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
If it's 6 years at around 10.5, Dubas wins this just based on the stuff we have heard during this process.
It's not good, but it's certainly manageable.

Reactions: JustAShadow

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
For a certain faction of Leafs' fans when Nylander was negotiating a contract, it was all about his playmaking abilities, not a peep about his goal scoring numbers being a limiting factor.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Leafs Lunch advised that the leak of contract details most definitely came from the team. Andi and Dave both agreed that this was a very well played leak by management and really makes the Marner camp look bad. No one from their camp commented until Dreger tweeted 2 hours ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad