Pre-Game Talk: Return of the Rat - Stanley Cup Finals '24: Edmonton vs. Florida

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Predict the Final

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Victor000

Dec 23, 2022
Apparently, Gretzky said something on the broadcast last night like, "Florida winning would be good for hockey, but you know where my heart is."

I never heard the quote myself, so I don't want to nitpick too much, as maybe he was speaking off the cuff, but...

Is the Florida market so sagging that one team having a bunch of success isn't enough to promote the sport there? We need a second team in Florida to win too now, for the "good of hockey?" How many more years of drought for Canadian teams before anyone says that Canadian team winning would "good for hockey?"

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Apparently, Gretzky said something on the broadcast last night like, "Florida winning would be good for hockey, but you know where my heart is."

I never heard the quote myself, so I don't want to nitpick too much, as maybe he was speaking off the cuff, but...

Is the Florida market so sagging that one team having a bunch of success isn't enough to promote the sport there? We need a second team in Florida to win too now, for the "good of hockey?" How many more years of drought for Canadian teams before anyone says that Canadian team winning would "good for hockey?"
Honeslty I need to look at how much tickets are in Florida. It's such a pathetic market might be easier to fly there and buy tickets than get them here in Edmonton.

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Honeslty I need to look at how much tickets are in Florida. It's such a pathetic market might be easier to fly there and buy tickets than get them here in Edmonton.
$2500 for return flights and tickets will start at $750ish Can. Almost booked last night but figured I would try on wed to go loco.

Lannes

🇮🇱🇮🇱🇮🇱
May 5, 2024
I have to admit I haven't watched much of Florida but am I crazy to not be too worried about that defense?

Here they are by average time on ice:
Montour 23:23
Forsling 23:17
Ekblad 22:37
Mikkola 18:51
Ekman-Larsson 15:13
Kulikov 13:56

I've seen a bit of, 'OMG how is Edmonton's defense and goaltending going to handle the Florida forecheck'... but how is THAT defense going to handle the Oiler top six? Montour-Forsling is a quality pairing but they're not big. I'll take 29 or 97 against that all day. After that, and similar to Dallas, they seem to be riding three D pretty hard and then there's a drop-off.

Honestly, after facing Doughty, Lindell, Tanev, Heiskanen and especially Vancouver's forest of 6'6 trees, that doesn't exactly seem like a murderer's row.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton

Mcdavid winning the Cup would be much bigger for hockey if the NHL actually promoted him properly. Imagine if the NBA didn't want to promote Lebron because he played for a small market Ohio team and instead focused on promoting the teams in non traditional basketball markets.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I have to admit I haven't watched much of Florida but am I crazy to not be too worried about that defense?

Here they are by average time on ice:
Montour 23:23
Forsling 23:17
Ekblad 22:37
Mikkola 18:51
Ekman-Larsson 15:13
Kulikov 13:56

I've seen a bit of, 'OMG how is Edmonton's defense and goaltending going to handle the Florida forecheck'... but how is THAT defense going to handle the Oiler top six? Montour-Forsling is a quality pairing but they're not big. I'll take 29 or 97 against that all day. After that, and similar to Dallas, they seem to be riding three D pretty hard and then there's a drop-off.

Honestly, after facing Doughty, Lindell, Tanev, Heiskanen and especially Vancouver's forest of 6'6 trees, that doesn't exactly seem like a murderer's row.
Yup, on paper there isn't much to be scared of.. the defense looks meh, goaltending is no Sheshterkin and the forwards aren't that explosive either.

But they are in the finals for a reason and we will likely need to beat them at their own game.

Hopefully Kane, Draisaitl, Ekholm and others banged up heal up before this starts..

Victor000

Dec 23, 2022
Mcdavid winning the Cup would be much bigger for hockey if the NHL actually promoted him properly. Imagine if the NBA didn't want to promote Lebron because he played for a small market Ohio team and instead focused on promoting the teams in non traditional basketball markets.
Which is why I think the comment was made without thinking it out properly. The conventional mindset has become that any US team winning is good for promoting the sport no matter what, and that the Canadian teams aren't good for anything other than bringing in guaranteed revenue no matter how badly they perform.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I hope Knob listens to you. He was clearly laboring in the Dallas series, due to either injury and/or fatigue, so I don't understand the reason for putting him with two complete duds in McLeod and PePerry.
Maybe it's time to admit that Knob knows what he is doing. He got great use out of 2 guys who were healthy scratches last series. I think that line was better than McD,Hyman,Nuge line at ES.

As for Gagner, Knob has been switching out the 12th forward all series even after wins... maybe he will slot in Gagner for a game if we are ahead in series.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
Really agonizing but good for the Oilers to get some rest and heal some bruises as their Game 6 was way more grueling than the Panthers Game 6 was.

I think this series suits Kane and Perry better so I expect them to play a bigger factor. Might see more of Carrick too and possibly Desharnais for some games although how do you take Broberg out? Maybe Ceci gets swapped out for a game or 2.
I've yet to see Perry impact the game in any way other than that one play in g4. He's not physical, not getting anyone off their game. He's been a complete nothingburger out there and I also think his leadership skills are being overblown. I'd rather have McLovin slot in over him at this point. Kane is basically playing the same as Perry, but has better upside, so I dont think we can afford having two of them. If Perry was at least throwing his body around, I'd like hiim in to help mitigate Florida, but he's like Derek Ryan right now - not an every day NHLer.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Which is why I think the comment was made without thinking it out properly. The conventional mindset has become that any US team winning is good for promoting the sport no matter what, and that the Canadian teams aren't good for anything other than bringing in guaranteed revenue no matter how badly they perform.
Gretz was sitting on an American feeds channel and getting paid big money by TNT.. He is expected to say fluff like thay but we all know who he really is rooting for...

No way we would say that Fla winning would be great for hockey if he was sitting on a SN or TSN panel

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I've yet to see Perry impact the game in any way other than that one play in g4. He's not physical, not getting anyone off their game. He's been a complete nothingburger out there and I also think his leadership skills are being overblown. I'd rather have McLovin slot in over him at this point. Kane is basically playing the same as Perry, but has better upside, so I dont think we can afford having two of them. If Perry was at least throwing his body around, I'd like hiim in to help mitigate Florida, but he's like Derek Ryan right now - not an every day NHLer.
Perry will do in the Florida series exactly what he brought him on to do. Be the worm and get under the Florida players skin. He doesn’t need to score goals or set up plays to do that. Just remind Turtle boy and Bennet who they are ****ing with every now and again.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We haven't lost since Perry was reinserted in the lineup and unlike many others including Kane and Ryan he hasn't cost us a single goal against all playoffs due to a dumb play.

He is fitting with Draisaitl better than Kane in my eyes.. Foegele and Desharnais will get another look these playoffs if a jolt is needed. I think Carrick should start the series because FLA is going to come out hard against us physically in game 1

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
So I have been hear since just around the previous cup run, it's been "a while"

I've watched some good players roll through and I've watched some absolute disasters.

I've seen some of the lowest of the low, a team who were barely better than an AHL team, just flounder their way along. And they've finally made it back.

There's alot to discuss, players, tactics, what it means for hockey, but seriously Oilers fans, especially those who lived the Decade Plus of Darkness, those who had to watch the draft lottery over and over to make sure it wasn't a fever dream.

Enjoy this, we f***ing deserve it.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Perry will do in the Florida series exactly what he brought him on to do. Be the worm and get under the Florida players skin. He doesn’t need to score goals or set up plays to do that. Just remind Turtle boy and Bennet who they are ****ing with every now and again.
Yup, I think this series we will need Kane, Carrick, Nurse and Perry to step up and play their natural game

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
$2500 for return flights and tickets will start at $750ish Can. Almost booked last night but figured I would try on wed to go loco.
Florida tickets are $750? Wow I guess I got them underestimated.

Hope Kane makes full use of the extra days rest at those cryo chambers or something. Need him to set the tone early against the rat.
He absolutely neutralized Zadorov. So much of it is showing "were not scared one bit". I even noticed Kane a bunch of times didn't hit Hughes (probably so orcs like Zadorov don't hit mcdavid) but went out of his way to finish checks on Zadorov.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
The Florida series will be non stop shenanigans. Need Perry in the lineup.

Paralyzer

Oilers Win Cup in 2025
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Be prepared to see your first born
8smp11.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad