Speculation: realistic leaf deals at deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
I'm more than happy to trade Holl for futures as apparently he has legit value in the league for some reason. Not shocking as worse defenseman like Chiarot are apparently worth a 1st round pick.

I'd be happy running 6D to save on cap as I trust each one of the guys left, but it would be nice if our 7th D wasn't Rubins in case of injury. I'd be looking for a guy in a similar vein to Bogosian who is [was] making league minimum and can be trusted to not completely shit the bed if an injury hits. More likely a RHD if possible. As for forwards there is so little space in the cap that it's almost useless to go after something small. Our 3rd line is great, the 4th line is good enough and not really ever bad. The only spot that probably could use an upgrade is 2LW, but even then Kerfoot is crushing it beside Will & JT. It would be nice to push him down to 3 C/W, especially if injuries hit but that's just a luxury. Not to mention we still have Mikheyev who is a middle-6 W in his own right (2nd line when scoring, 3rd line defensive when not).

So either go for a Giroux/FF09 + a league min not horrible defenseman, or don't bother. Maybe see if anyone is willing to bite on Ritchie.
Ya Holl looked so good in the playoffs compared to Chiarot last yr that i can see why you'd think that Holl could get you 1ST. :popcorn:

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Gonna trade a 1st or 2nd
Will have like 2 picks next year but it’s All about winning playoffs series

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I'm sure a lot of fellow Leaf fans are looking at Auston's final year of his current contract in 2023-24 thinking we have a window now (and for a short time) that we need to make the most of. Matthews has a NMC in that final 2023-24 year as well.

Problem is, we don't have a lot of cap space to work with to make trades. And, I would imagine lots of fans and GMs from other teams are happy to see us keep trading away our draft picks.

I don't know what will happen, but its an interesting situation.

I think our best hope is that our current lineup figure out how to play successful playoff hockey. Our best players need to be the best players even when the game changes as it does in the playoffs.

Reactions: Fatass

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Miller has next to no value and Bunting is pacing for a 60 point season at under a million dollars through next year.

There is nothing desireable in Buffalo to be honest.

I wouldn't be against acquiring Colin Miller as a depth piece Rubins can't be the injury insurance

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
The lack of Kerfoot proposals indicates Alex finally found a home there. How amusing it will be when he plays out his full TML contract in that sweater. So much wasted HF energy trying to find him another team.

patriotfan

Jun 8, 2014
I can see the Leafs going for Statsny because his price won't be as steep and we've always loved old vet rentals.
are you serious, common dude stay away from stastny, maybe copp, but its not going to happen, stastny would not help the leafs in any way hes not any better than our present 3 and 4th liners and his salary just won't fit, anyways how come hab fans think all their players are worth 1 plus round picks and the jet fans or so think the jet player are only worth 2nd 3rth or so picks just wondering i am a leafs fan looking from the outside

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The lack of Kerfoot proposals indicates Alex finally found a home there. How amusing it will be when he plays out his full TML contract in that sweater. So much wasted HF energy trying to find him another team.

In all probability won’t be here next year. He will be making 750k with a 3.5 cap. It’s tough to have a full team with him on any combo of cap friendly I can see

Reactions: Ciao

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
I like Mrazek, but his health is seriously in question. If he can't get healthy by the playoffs, then Lankinen from Chicago might be an option.

Pending UFA and makes 800k.

Maybe he comes with a discounted Strome? Toronto could use a cheap forward that can handle shifts in the top 6.

Last edited:

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I like Mrazek, but his health is seriously in question. If he can't get healthy by the playoffs, then Lankinen from Chicago might be an option.

Pending UFA and makes 800k.

Maybe he comes with a discounted Strome? Toronto could use a cheap forward that can handle shifts in the top 6.

Lankinen is garbage

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
There were a few, and it is still a possibility that he might be moved, but he has been a good player.

Maplebeasts

I See Demons!!!!!
Oct 26, 2014
Barrie, Ontario
No additions will matter at the deadline unless this core figures it out in the playoffs, at which point they could win a cup anyways with the team as constructed. No need for any rentals unless there is impact, term and a reasonable price.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto

Kerfoot has been really good for us, the proposals including him are strictly proposed because of our cap situation and absolutely nothing to do with him as a player. He would be a fine middle 6 player on pretty much any team in the league, we just gotta find a way to afford him.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
Lankinen is garbage

He's certainly not having a great year, but that goes for the whole Blackhawks team. If Toronto needs a forward and a backup goalie at the TDL, and has almost no cap space to do it, then Lankinen and Strome make a lot of sense to me.

Cheap to acquire and cheap cap hits, if Chicago retains on Strome.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
He's certainly not having a great year, but that goes for the whole Blackhawks team. If Toronto needs a forward and a backup goalie at the TDL, and has almost no cap space to do it, then Lankinen and Strome make a lot of sense to me.

Cheap to acquire and cheap cap hits, if Chicago retains on Strome.

The thing with Strome is he is unlikely to be qualifed so they can get him in free agency.

If Toronto wants a backup goalie at the deadline I'd look at Halak or Holtby

franste Perreault

Dec 2, 2021
I really can see Toronto acquiring at the Trade deadline Josh Manson low cap hit if Anaheim accept to have (Holl and a 1st) or Holl 3rd round pick and a late prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad