Speculation: realistic leaf deals at deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Leafs are tied for 1st in the NHL and 2nd best defensive team in the league right now. Why are fans offering their replaceable bottom players and claiming they are an upgrade? Brassard an upgrade to the 4th line.. What? Leafs need NHL forward depth? WHat? People saying trash players are upgrades on the D we have now. Unreal.

If they get anything, it will be not a player who might get a few games on the 4th line. It will be someone they think improves the team. So a scoring winger or a top 4 D. But we will wait and see. If the depth holds up, I think they make no moves.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I know leafs fans don't like the guy and probably won't agree, but Ben Chiarot would fit a role for them.

Toffoli after the playoffs said the second Muzzin was out they knew they were going to win the series. Need some more crease clearers and sandpaper.
I know he's played on the right side, but how is he there?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I know leafs fans don't like the guy and probably won't agree, but Ben Chiarot would fit a role for them.

Toffoli after the playoffs said the second Muzzin was out they knew they were going to win the series. Need some more crease clearers and sandpaper.

I agree but I would not pay a 1st

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Right. I forgot. The only player available on the Stanley Cup champs is Ritchie. Because everybody else is in the top 23 players of the NHL, so there needs to be adds. Which add do you want for Bunting? Quinn, Krebs or Peterka? Or is Buffalo’s 2022 1st enough to make up the chasm in value?

Miller has next to no value and Bunting is pacing for a 60 point season at under a million dollars through next year.

There is nothing desireable in Buffalo to be honest.

Griffin76

May 17, 2014
Nova Scotia
Lyubushkin and Crouse in. Holl and Ritchie/Engvall/Mikheyev out. Using whatever picks need to be used to make it happen. Doesn't disrupt the chemistry too much. Saves the Leafs a small amount in cap space.

EquivalentStay

Jul 27, 2020
Right. I forgot. The only player available on the Stanley Cup champs is Ritchie. Because everybody else is in the top 23 players of the NHL, so there needs to be adds. Which add do you want for Bunting? Quinn, Krebs or Peterka? Or is Buffalo’s 2022 1st enough to make up the chasm in value?
You made a stupid post and now you mad. Look within bro.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
What is the upside of trading our cheapest most productive non big-4 winger? Does Miller even make our lineup?

The upside is that it leaves you with still two draft picks this year (Sabres aren’t interested in 2023 picks unless you’re sending your 1st because you’re making them wait for a return), and still keep Robertson, Amirov (sp?) Sandin and Liljegren, who would be the only people of interest. And that allows the Leafs to target someone else by the TDL, using picks or those players. Plus, it leaves the Sabres dressing Butcher, who makes an injured Bogo look like a top Dman.

He would make your team. Now as to what pairing, it’d be with Muzzin or with Sandin. And gives a more offensive option on PP2.

Now I get not wanting to give up Bunting for him. But there’s nothing there the Leafs would be willing to give up for him. And the Sabres don’t want Engvall or Ritchie or Kerfoot or anybody else the Leafs want to get rid of.

I mean we can do Engvall for Eakin, but that’s just painting the deck chairs on the Titanic using those dollar store add water paints for both teams.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

There is a MASSIVE difference in value between Bunting and Miller

One has 7 goals and 18 points so far in 26 games for somewhere between 900-950K

The other is Colin Miller

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
Do the Leafs have interest in bottom 6 forwards like Motte and Dickinson, or bottom pairing dmen like Hamonic (I think he just got his 2nd dose), Burroughs, Schenn? Schenn is more of a #7 though.

We would be looking for draft picks.

Trooth

Dec 5, 2021
Short of some minor adjustments, the Leafs should just stand pat. I think too many changes at the end of last season screwed the team up.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Like I said in another thread… leafs don’t need to do a whole lot…. It’s more on the roster(star players) to get it done in the playoffs. The 2 spots I could see them add is

- physical dmen…. Either a depth guy that can replace a struggling dmen, or someone that can move holl to that 7th d spot.

- a utility middle 6 guy, preferably a vet/locker room guy… a guy like perry/maroon/cogliano etc. hell if the ducks are out of the playoffs at the deadline a guy like getzlaf/Rakell(not that I think getz would waive) would be good adds.

But the cap situation makes any significant moves much harder. I also don’t think the leafs need to spend a 1st or top prospect to add pieces. Essentially just looking at pieces to help against certain type of teams, locker room guys and physical players to add to depth
Rackell isn't exactly a middle 6 utility winger... he wouldn't be a cheap add either.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009

Why on earth would a team that's right up against the cap trade a player making $900 for this year and next; who's currently pacing for close to 60 points?

The Leafs obviously don't have the 23 best players in the league, but the 23 best players in the league don't fit under a single-team's cap. Anyone being traded to the Leafs needs to be at better value than the player he replaces.

Reactions: Bluenotes27

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad