Speculation: realistic leaf deals at deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Like I said in another thread… leafs don’t need to do a whole lot…. It’s more on the roster(star players) to get it done in the playoffs. The 2 spots I could see them add is

- physical dmen…. Either a depth guy that can replace a struggling dmen, or someone that can move holl to that 7th d spot.

- a utility middle 6 guy, preferably a vet/locker room guy… a guy like perry/maroon/cogliano etc. hell if the ducks are out of the playoffs at the deadline a guy like getzlaf/Rakell(not that I think getz would waive) would be good adds.

But the cap situation makes any significant moves much harder. I also don’t think the leafs need to spend a 1st or top prospect to add pieces. Essentially just looking at pieces to help against certain type of teams, locker room guys and physical players to add to depth

I would absolutely love Getzlaf

Reactions: banks

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Two wants are probably second pair RD and middle-six LW.

If the Jets fell out and were interested in selling, Andrew Copp would be a huge target for me.

But I could see this team just picking up some cheaper injury replacement depth and running with what they have.

Agreed Andrew Copp would be a great pickup

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Thats a good one, Toronto would love him.

He's had a bad year this year, but still on a great contract... besides, it's hard to blame him for struggling when he's playing out of position in a top 6 role.

If you aren't counting on him to score, he's a fantastic player to have. Big, great skater, excellent defensively, hard shot, good on faceoffs, great on the cycle, and creates opportunities. Will always be a below average finisher, but should still be good for ~30pts/82.

PettersonHughes

Aug 26, 2020
To Toronto-
JT Miller 50% retention
Luke Schenn <=> Justin Holl

To Vancouver-
1st Round Pick
Nick Robertson
Pierre Engvall

First of all, if you guys want an RD you guys can have Hamonic (down to trade straight up for Holl).
That being said, is Robertson going to be any better than even Nic Petan (whom we signed)? Smaller tweener guys are hit and miss.
Lastly, Engvall has size and can score some but is ultimately still just depth and so (presuming we don't want Robertson) Toronto will have to add (don't think you guys have any blue chip center prospects available? One of our biggest needs is RH centers or big defensive RHD and it doesn't seem like the Leafs have what we need for us to trade Miller to you, since we don't want to tank).

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
First of all, if you guys want an RD you guys can have Hamonic (down to trade straight up for Holl).
That being said, is Robertson going to be any better than even Nic Petan (whom we signed)? Smaller tweener guys are hit and miss.
Lastly, Engvall has size and can score some but is ultimately still just depth and so (presuming we don't want Robertson) Toronto will have to add (don't think you guys have any blue chip center prospects available? One of our biggest needs is RH centers or big defensive RHD and it doesn't seem like the Leafs have what we need for us to trade Miller to you, since we don't want to tank).

I'm sure you would trade Hamonic for Holl seeing as Hamonic makes 1 million more

cgc83

30-HELENS-AGREE
Jul 8, 2018
Something more cheaper/rental on Defense that is better than Justin Holl

Colin Miller
Nick leddy
Marc Stall
Anton Stralman
Vince Dunn

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Maybe a pair of balls each for Matthews and Marner for the playoffs? That’s the only way Leafs will advance a round or 2. I don’t think JT Miller or Claude Giroux or Ryan Getzlaf will help.

Reactions: sittler rules!!!

jgimp

Sep 18, 2017
Ripley, Ont
If the Jets are out of a spot, could you use a guy like Stasny? Very versatile player who can play C or the wings and wouldn’t cost much. Winnipeg could retain as well

Reactions: Cypruss

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Realistically, the Leafs have 0 cap space to make a move -- they'd actually have to go to a 21-man roster with only 6D if everyone gets healthy at the same time. The ability to add at the deadline will be dictated by whomever is on LTIR, and whether they're expected to be gone the remainder of the regular season.

That being said, if they're going to add, I'd expect it to be on the blueline (physical presence, right shot preferred), simply because they have the ability to bury both Sandin & Liljegren in the minors if absolute need be; or may be willing to trade Travis Dermott given that he's in somewhat of a no-man's land development-wise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluenotes27

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
who do you expect Leafs to go after at the deadline that wont cost a lot and since were up against the cap who do we move out to make something happen? i cant think of a target player I think leafs would be interested in....thoughts
Isn't the deadline months away?

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'm more than happy to trade Holl for futures as apparently he has legit value in the league for some reason. Not shocking as worse defenseman like Chiarot are apparently worth a 1st round pick.

I'd be happy running 6D to save on cap as I trust each one of the guys left, but it would be nice if our 7th D wasn't Rubins in case of injury. I'd be looking for a guy in a similar vein to Bogosian who is [was] making league minimum and can be trusted to not completely shit the bed if an injury hits. More likely a RHD if possible. As for forwards there is so little space in the cap that it's almost useless to go after something small. Our 3rd line is great, the 4th line is good enough and not really ever bad. The only spot that probably could use an upgrade is 2LW, but even then Kerfoot is crushing it beside Will & JT. It would be nice to push him down to 3 C/W, especially if injuries hit but that's just a luxury. Not to mention we still have Mikheyev who is a middle-6 W in his own right (2nd line when scoring, 3rd line defensive when not).

So either go for a Giroux/FF09 + a league min not horrible defenseman, or don't bother. Maybe see if anyone is willing to bite on Ritchie.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Nothing major, I don't think they want to make a splash while the team consistently underperforms in the playoffs

I'd target one middle 6 winger and that's about it. We'll know closer to the TDL who the options are
Yup they should likely just run it, maybe a cheap depth player or 2 depending on injuries.

If Holl (& somewhat Muzzin) doesn't return to how he had been playing, & no D really grabs that top 4 right side spot, I think that would be worth looking at if they do end up trading one of Dermott or Holl like rumored.

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Maybe a pair of balls each for Matthews and Marner for the playoffs? That’s the only way Leafs will advance a round or 2. I don’t think JT Miller or Claude Giroux or Ryan Getzlaf will help.

Well Miller/Giroux/Getzlaf would definitely help, but yes I get what you're saying. It's on the core guys to get it done. Those veteran adds should be the final push to get you past the conference finals/cup finals. It's on Matthews/Marner/JT/Nylander/Rielly IMO to get this team past the 1st round.

But any of those guys be a huge addition. Is Anaheim moving Getzlaf though ? I thought they were doing decent this year.

I still really like Saad, he has playoff experience and plays a decent 2 way game with decent size. And then for the 29142342th time, Manson fits what we need. Top 4 RD but this discussion has been beaten to death. Asking price seems too high, but I would target these 2 players. Saad can slot into the top 6 and Manson would give us more depth/size/grit on the back end. It would probably be Muzzin-Liljegren and then Sandin-Manson as the 2nd/3rd pair. Saad has a NTC and making 4.5M for another 4 years after this one, so that's a pipe dream. Basically what I'm saying is we really miss Zach Hyman.

Also another guy as much as I despise him, Debrusk. He'd be worth looking at. He doesn't look "great" but it would give us some LW depth, a decent middle 6 winger. Decent size, left handed shot and can chip in a bit offensively. I hate his guts with a passion, but looking beyond my personal bias, I think he would be a good fit here.

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
I'd love it if we could get Kessel somehow
6b6e7bf0992f9f5811b5e4f4fbad7794

Championship pedigree

Reactions: NHL WAR

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica

At least a testicle each. We joke but this is the right answer. Guys like Matthews and Marner have to take that next step. If they can do that the forward group should be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad