RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
That is the issue. I think with more time to focus on skating and strength he might get quicker and it won't matter.

In either case he is probably never going to be a Makar or Josi end to end skater, but I'm not sure that means that there isn't a path for him to become a top 5 D. If Brent Burns was a more attentive defender while scoring 70 pts a year, that's a top 5D. I can see Jiricek maybe doing that. The PPQB skills will have to pop if the skating doesn't improve.
Jiricek has a ways to go before he's even close to Burn's skating level. Again, definitely a top prospect and he is going to be a great defenseman, but if the skating doesn't improve there is a ceiling to how great he can become.

His skating is just passable against Team Canada in the World Juniors. Not saying he can't improve his skating, but you can see how it limits him.

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
He overcame so many difficulties to lead the team to the silver medal, can you believe he didn't know if he can arrive in time before the game day, and was supposed to play with borrowed equipment? So there is no need for more tears, hopefully the boy's future will be bright.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Interesting enough, there have never been true Czech defenseman superstars. I guess the best ones were Kaberle and Hamrlik.

Jiricek truly has a potential to become the greatest Czech d man in the NHL.
Yeah, IMO Hamrlik #1, Kaberle #2, the two of them real close, then a big gap to whoever #3 is (someone like Svoboda, Zidlicky, Kubina, Spacek?).

Obviously Jiricek has a massive way to go to become the top Czech dman ever, and there’s a very good chance he never gets there, but … he has a legitimate chance.

Side note, funnily enough, Spacek Jr has a shot to join Spacek Sr as a top 10 all time Czech dman! Also not likely, but possible.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah, IMO Hamrlik #1, Kaberle #2, the two of them real close, then a big gap to whoever #3 is (someone like Svoboda, Zidlicky, Kubina, Spacek?).

Obviously Jiricek has a massive way to go to become the top Czech dman ever, and there’s a very good chance he never gets there, but … he has a legitimate chance.

Side note, funnily enough, Spacek Jr has a shot to join Spacek Sr as a top 10 all time Czech dman! Also not likely, but possible.
Slegr is a Czech ch legend.
Frantisek kaberle won almost everything... Several worlds, Stanley Cup...
Filip Kuba, klesla, gudas all in the conversation too. But yes... No Norris contender in our history.

Reactions: ponder

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Hmm last 5 games 0+0 and -5 ... anyone watched the games? Is it some form decline or just bad luck? I have noticed that besides the last game, Cleveland is just not scoring in the last games, always just 1 or 2 goals per match, plus they got completely thrashed 9:0 two days ago.

So it could just be, that he kinda got on the board of the bad team form. I am just wondering, if anyone actually saw the games, if he can give some more info on how he looks lately.

Reactions: PittsburghHustlers

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Hmm last 5 games 0+0 and -5 ... anyone watched the games? Is it some form decline or just bad luck? I have noticed that besides the last game, Cleveland is just not scoring in the last games, always just 1 or 2 goals per match, plus they got completely thrashed 9:0 two days ago.

So it could just be, that he kinda got on the board of the bad team form. I am just wondering, if anyone actually saw the games, if he can give some more info on how he looks lately.
They called up all their AHL talent.

Berni, Bemstrom, Marchenko all in the NHL now.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
Interesting enough, there have never been true Czech defenseman superstars. I guess the best ones were Kaberle and Hamrlik.

when Chara was born it was still Czechoslovakia, half a czech superstar?

Reactions: Mr Buckles

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Compilation of all David's 2023 WJC games.

A dominant performance throughout the tournament... he was clearly out of gas in the final game against Canada but other than that he looked like a man amongst boys out there. He needs to get a lot stronger on his skates to survive the NHL tempo but once he does watch out...

such a great compilation. Thank you so much. I also appreciate that you avoided that assinine penatly after he scored from Hauser.lol

From you vid, he was a man amongst boys and the Burns comparions is starting to make more sense.

Reactions: Voodoozz

lamini

Nov 30, 2011
Prostějov

I would say best were Suchý and Pospíšil, but Kaberle and Hamrlík were best of those that could play in NHL.

Reactions: Czechboy

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
These two are going to run this town for a decade, probably starting this year. Insane talents.
I was really high on Jiricek in his draft year and I think he is one of those players that just has such a complete pro type of toolbox and will be such a good pro both in regular season and playoffs.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
These two are going to run this town for a decade, probably starting this year. Insane talents.

Probably not for Jiricek. The rush defense needs too much work. I'm super high on him, I especially can't wait to see him take over the powerplay. But I don't think he makes the team this year.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Probably not for Jiricek. The rush defense needs too much work. I'm super high on him, I especially can't wait to see him take over the powerplay. But I don't think he makes the team this year.
Probably not out of the gate unless we deal with injuries in camp. But if Peeke/Boqvist underperform I could see him coming up during the year.

Reactions: wetcoast

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Probably not out of the gate unless we deal with injuries in camp. But if Peeke/Boqvist underperform I could see him coming up during the year.
Some stuff competition on that much improved blue line. Agree... he's an injury call up to start.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I was always high on Jiriceks offensive ability and his ice cool way of playing. He is confident and seems to love to be THE one. I see him mostly as a OD and I hope CBJ will give him that opportunity.

Laine, Jiricek and Fantili. Who knows if Boqvist can step it up as well? Kent Johnson and a couple of others... Now hey, CBJ could be a interesting team under the radar in a few years!

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad