RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
5 points in his last 3 AHL games which is great but get him out of the AHL and to the East! No injuries please!

What's amazing is that his Columbus fellow draftee, Svozil, is also having a tremendous season offensively. I cannot recall Czechs having 2 guys on the rise like this on D in a decade.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
So excited to see what Jiricek,Svozil, Werenski, Laine, Gaudreau and others can become in 2-3 years.
Imagine if they would get their hands on Adam Jiricek?

Reactions: Czechboy

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Steal of a pick. Imagine Flyers passed on him for Gauthier! I would have chosen Jiricek before Cooley and perhaps even Wright and Nemec as well.

A couple of 20 people in here saw something special in this kid.
He has that ice cool mojo with the puck and his size and right hand doesn't hurt one bit. Has the potential to become a franchise D if everything pans out.
I can't understand how some people are writing anything bad about PP-producing. Every team needs those players who can step up when you have a man advantage on the ice.
I mean if the Blue Jackets have a decent center in their future PP with Jiricek and Laine? Well, that could be something very, very special.

I know, everything can still happen and it's early and so on... But for now I would rank him first, Slaf second, Nemec third. Imagine, three europeans before Cooley, Wright and Gauthier. Who knew? Me perhaps? I remember getting a lot of shit for those comments.

I feel like a few finns (me included) can be a bit protective against our homegrown talents, swedes as well. But that goes the other way as well, we can be harsh too.
Czechs? I rarely get the impression that they are overhyping their own talent in here. But then again, that's only my impression so far.
But I don't get why there is such a fuzz about Finnish and others homerism to be honest? Because there is nothing worse than the NA homerism? Or am I wrong here?
People got straight up insulted when i wrote that I held Jiricek higher than both Cooley and Wright, like I would be deliberately trolling or something.
This happens quite often and I find it pretty interesting.

Well, let's hope Jiricek can stay healthy. The sport of hockey needs a strong Czechia in the future.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
So excited to see what Jiricek,Svozil, Werenski, Laine, Gaudreau and others can become in 2-3 years.
Imagine if they would get their hands on Adam Jiricek?
I feel like Columbus is unlikely to be drafting D too high for the next couple years unless its a no brainer. They have Jiricek and Ceulemans for the right side and Mateychuk followed by a few guys like Svozil, Richard and Berni.
Theyll already have to move some guys as Jiricek is already looking like he can force his way onto the roster next year and who knows what the other kids will look like next year.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I feel like Columbus is unlikely to be drafting D too high for the next couple years unless its a no brainer. They have Jiricek and Ceulemans for the right side and Mateychuk followed by a few guys like Svozil, Richard and Berni.
Theyll already have to move some guys as Jiricek is already looking like he can force his way onto the roster next year and who knows what the other kids will look like next year.
Fantilli/Carlsson/Yager in this draft seems like a no brainer for CBJ

Reactions: Toe Pick and BB88

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Not to mention Kent Johnson has started at 1C for the last few games and has arguably looked better than Gaudreau or Laine(extremely small sample size)
Exactly he was forgotten in that list. Also Denton Mateychuk.

Jiricek is a prospect I really loved last year as I think his game translates into a very good #1 Dman in the NHL or an elite #2 guy.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Exactly he was forgotten in that list. Also Denton Mateychuk.

Jiricek is a prospect I really loved last year as I think his game translates into a very good #1 Dman in the NHL or an elite #2 guy.
I think most jacket fans(at least I do) see him as our Jones replacement. However he seems like he's a little more aggressive offensively than Jones. So I'm excited to see how he develops as he's not going to need to be THE guy the team leans on night in and night out putting up 26-32 minutes a game because nobody else can be trusted.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
I wonder how well his stellar play in the AHL translates to the frenetic style of WJC hockey. It's won't be an easy transition imo, especially given he'll probably be on the ice all the time for the Czechs. Everyone will take runs at him as we saw at the previous tourneys. A few years back I remember Chytil who had been having a very good D+1 AHL season but was just "okay" at the WJC. I hope DJ will tear it up.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I wonder how well his stellar play in the AHL translates to the frenetic style of WJC hockey. It's won't be an easy transition imo, especially given he'll probably be on the ice all the time for the Czechs. Everyone will take runs at him as we saw at the previous tourneys. A few years back I remember Chytil who had been having a very good D+1 AHL season but was just "okay" at the WJC. I hope DJ will tear it up.

It's definitely a tought transition. I don't fully understand why to be honest. Eg. most NHL tweener types (Kaut for instance) go to AHL from NHL and look better. But AHL players struggle at a Junior tourney.

I figure we'll be uneven for the tourney like always and we just need one big game from him and hopefully it's the quarter aginst US/Finland or the Round Robin against Sweden (which would probably make us avoid Finland/US). We don't need to beat all 3 to get to final 4. Just one of them!

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
It's definitely a tought transition. I don't fully understand why to be honest. Eg. most NHL tweener types (Kaut for instance) go to AHL from NHL and look better. But AHL players struggle at a Junior tourney.

I figure we'll be uneven for the tourney like always and we just need one big game from him and hopefully it's the quarter aginst US/Finland or the Round Robin against Sweden (which would probably make us avoid Finland/US). We don't need to beat all 3 to get to final 4. Just one of them!
More chaotic, less structure, more teenage emotion... Basically all the reasons its the most entertaining hockey.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Jiricek and Svozil are pretty much playing the roles in this tournament i expect them to play in NHL as well if everything goes according to plan.

Funny how Columbus owns rights for both of them.
Yup... Svozil will take a little longer to make the NHL.. Jiricek should be there next year. Hoping they keep them together and don't trade either.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
He looked really good. He's missing just a little bit of acceleration, otherwise I think his game is NHL ready. Excellent puck protection, scanning going into corners and anticipation, knows where to move his feet and the puck when retrieving to fool forecheckers, booming shot, good first pass. Reminds me of Shea Weber given their body types, game, handedness, etc.

Mikey09

Mar 28, 2013
Bratislava
Safe to say him and Werenski as a top pair next year
And just add Mateychuk - Ceulemans as 2nd pair behind them in a few years! And Johnson, Sillinger, Marchenko, Chinakhov + possibly any of Bedard, Fantilli, Carlsson, Smith or Yager. Thats a helluva young core in Columbus.

Reactions: Byrral and I3LI3

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad