RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
When I was scouting him last year I believed it was an intense play style he’s got, but the more I’ve seen of him at various levels I think it’s just a passion for the game. He always tries to join in on plays in any way he can and when he does, he does it big. But he picks and chooses times to do so very well. It’s not a constant intensity as he does look calm and not constantly on-go. It has to be a unique love for hockey that drives him to contribute in some way every single shift and I think that’s what I failed to recognize before. His celebrations, interviews, and kissing the jersey at the draft also make me think he’s different/special. I love this player, he’s a guaranteed top 4 defenseman that can play 20+ minutes a night for you in all situations and make a difference. But I think that his upside is a Norris threat two-way monster that tilts the ice with his presence and it’s feasible to think he could reach this within 4-5 years, although you never know with prospects. I think he just really wants to win and he wants to play a big role in that, no matter the league. Not every player has this kind of drive and it reflects on the ice.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
1+1 in his last game with Cleveland loss against Utica before juniors, making that 20 points in 19 games in AHL as 18/19 yo.
That's insane numbers for a forward in the aHL at that age nevermind what a solid physical Dman he is.

He was my favorite player in the least draft and I just feel like he will be in the argument for best player from the 22 draft.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
If I was picking last year's draft right now, I'd take Jiricek 1st overall. Just a prototype 2-way NHL defenseman.
Yeah, it’s obviously super early to make strong judgements, but I’d lean Jiricek too. Loved his game pre-draft as well, he was my favourite player, but I thought “logically you can’t take him at 1 over Wright/Slaf/Cooley.” But looking back … yeah, if forced to choose, I’d take Jiricek over them, or anyone else in the 2022 draft.

Dmen with his combination of offensive ability, defensive ability, size, heavy shot, mobility/elusiveness and physicality are just so rare, and so valuable. Likelihood is pretty high that he becomes a stud #1 dman. I can see him becoming some sort of weird midpoint between Nurse and Dahlin.

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
His draft year is miserable… That's why he is 6OA. Imagine he shined in Beijing as Slaf and Nemec did, instead of receiving a surgery and recovering all season.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I think Jiricek is going to be a great defenseman, but his skating really needs to improve to live up to his current hype train.

Unpopular opinion, but I just don't think he has the skating ability to be a top 5 defenseman in the NHL. We'll see how much it holds him back, because everything else is there.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
I think Jiricek is going to be a great defenseman, but his skating really needs to improve to live up to his current hype train.

Unpopular opinion, but I just don't think he has the skating ability to be a top 5 defenseman in the NHL. We'll see how much it holds him back, because everything else is there.
Exactly, he must skate like Makar otherwise he´s bust.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Is he likely to get nhl games following the tourney or are they keeping him away from the tank ?

Tank or no tank, he already played a couple games and wasn't ready. He's got a big frame but isn't filled out yet, can get outmuscled vs NHLers. He's missing power in his stride, needs to get stronger there to keep up, because he's not quick.

For his development I wouldn't mind if Jiricek played less hockey in the Spring and had more time for strength training.

That is the issue. I think with more time to focus on skating and strength he might get quicker and it won't matter.

In either case he is probably never going to be a Makar or Josi end to end skater, but I'm not sure that means that there isn't a path for him to become a top 5 D. If Brent Burns was a more attentive defender while scoring 70 pts a year, that's a top 5D. I can see Jiricek maybe doing that. The PPQB skills will have to pop if the skating doesn't improve.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Its great for a 19 year old his size. I dunno if he is going to be a top 5 d man though. Lofty expectations. He's a very very good prospect though. My jaw dropped when Philly passed him up. What terrible scouting. Quite clearly a top 5 players in that draft. Going to be a beast.

I see a Seider comparison stylistically.

WADEugottaBELAKthat

Nikishin turning heads.
Nov 21, 2003
CSKA MoskWTF?

I think this is a fair argument. But at the same point I feel that he has good skating fundamentals and, at 19 years old, his skating can easily be expected to improve already over the course of the next calendar year. Like other bigger guys (Burns, Ekblad) his skating should improve naturally with age.

And let us not undervalue these other, unique skills he is bringing to the table each game in every league/tournament he has played in this year.

I do agree that the hype train his charging hard right now. But why not? Look at what he is doing.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I think this is a fair argument. But at the same point I feel that he has good skating fundamentals and, at 19 years old, his skating can easily be expected to improve already over the course of the next calendar year. Like other bigger guys (Burns, Ekblad) his skating should improve naturally with age.

And let us not undervalue these other, unique skills he is bringing to the table each game in every league/tournament he has played in this year.

I do agree that the hype train his charging hard right now. But why not? Look at what he is doing.

Ekblad is a terrible skater.

That’s one thing he’s never really improved once drafted

Reactions: BKarchitect

Captain3rdLine

Sep 24, 2020
Why didn’t he go first overall? all those teams need better scouting staffs
Because he wasn’t good enough in his draft year. Got hurt for a while too and then didn’t show that well afterwards.

Still don’t think he’d necessarily go first now but he has developed very well so far. Has also been put in all of the perfect situations to succeed particularly offensively. Playing on the best powerplay unit in the league in the AHL.
Comes to the World Juniors and Czech is running a great system and running through teams. Solid surrounding D-core and group of forwards that is firing on all cylinders.
Couldn’t ask for much more. His shot is his best asset and he knows it and has been getting lots of opportunities to use it.

Certainly looks to have number 1 D potential and is on a good path right now but has stuff to work on as others have mentioned. The skating has improved from last year but could still use some work. Who knows how much it could or will hold him back at the NHL level. Should add that while the skating as a whole isn’t perfect he has rather quick feet for a big guy. Not some big slow footed guy. Skating is just sloppy and inefficient in some aspects.

Last edited:

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
In a redraft? For me Jiricek would be my no. 1 pick. Just a monster on the blue line for Czechia. Columbus has a world beater for sure, if that defense core they've stocked with prospects develops alongside Jiricek they're going to be scary.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
In a redraft? For me Jiricek would be my no. 1 pick. Just a monster on the blue line for Czechia. Columbus has a world beater for sure, if that defense core they've stocked with prospects develops alongside Jiricek they're going to be scary.

That defense has potential to be prime Nashville/Colorado/Tampa like.

Reactions: punk_o_holic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad