RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I was always high on Jiriceks offensive ability and his ice cool way of playing. He is confident and seems to love to be THE one. I see him mostly as a OD and I hope CBJ will give him that opportunity.

Laine, Jiricek and Fantili. Who knows if Boqvist can step it up as well? Kent Johnson and a couple of others... Now hey, CBJ could be a interesting team under the radar in a few years!

Jiricek would be the perfect QB for the future powerplay - I especially love his fake shot pass to tee up the player (in this case Laine) on his left for a one timer.

---------- KJ
Laine - Gaudreau - Fantilli
-------- Jiricek

It's too bad, I don't think his rush defense is ready, I want to see that PP right now.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Seems like he really overplayed the pass here - it worked on this play but not sure moving out of position to anticipate the pass is the best move on a 3 on 2. Great play on O though of course.
For a guy labeled as a "defensive defenseman" out of the draft, he takes a lot of risks. He's also not the sharpest in his own zone defending yet. I think he needs some more time in the oven.

* Not even including the skating issues

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
His pre-draft analytics were through the roof and it seems like he as really the best of the 2022 draft. Looking forward to seeing his growth.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
He should have been the first Dman drafted in 2022. Guys who are 6'4+ and already posses an elite shot as a Dman don't grow on trees.
His pre-draft analytics were through the roof and it seems like he as really the best of the 2022 draft. Looking forward to seeing his growth.
Based on preseason and first couple regular season games, Mintyukov is currently the best dman of 2022 class imo. Doesn't have the velocity of Jiricek's shot and maybe isn't quite as strong yet but otherwise he's looked more NHL-ready than Jiricek, Korchinski and Mateychuk for instance.

Jiricek probably should be in the AHL fixing his skating but I believe CBJ management is in danger to lose their jobs after this year so they can't afford to play less talented D instead of him, unfortunately.

Reactions: majormajor

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Based on preseason and first couple regular season games, Mintyukov is currently the best dman of 2022 class imo. Doesn't have the velocity of Jiricek's shot and maybe isn't quite as strong yet but otherwise he's looked more NHL-ready than Jiricek, Korchinski and Mateychuk for instance.

Jiricek probably should be in the AHL fixing his skating but I believe CBJ management is in danger to lose their jobs after this year so they can't afford to play less talented D instead of him, unfortunately.
I wonder how much it would be fixed in the AHL vs NHL. How much did it really change over the course of last year? Maybe they'd prefer to give him a run here against NHLers so at the very least he can adapt other area's to atleast make up for those backwards skating deficiencies especially. Hes obviously not challenged in the same way at the AHL level, it will be really interesting when we start playing the speedy offensive teams to see how he responds

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I'd argue that Nemec belongs in the conversation.

I'd also argue that skating is something that is improved in off season with a skating couch. Hard to improve during season (in AHL or NHL) IMO.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I like Cooley and Mintyukov ahead of Jiricek but that's great company. Great year for drafting elite D.

I wonder how much it would be fixed in the AHL vs NHL. How much did it really change over the course of last year? Maybe they'd prefer to give him a run here against NHLers so at the very least he can adapt other area's to atleast make up for those backwards skating deficiencies especially. Hes obviously not challenged in the same way at the AHL level, it will be really interesting when we start playing the speedy offensive teams to see how he responds

I'd argue that Nemec belongs in the conversation.

I'd also argue that skating is something that is improved in off season with a skating couch. Hard to improve during season (in AHL or NHL) IMO.

AHL doesn't play many weekday games, there's a gap there where prospects work with skating coaches and do weight training. I also imagine it's much harder to focus on learning new technique when you're under NHL pressure. AHL would definitely be better for Jiricek's progress, in my opinion.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I like Cooley and Mintyukov ahead of Jiricek but that's great company. Great year for drafting elite D.

AHL doesn't play many weekday games, there's a gap there where prospects work with skating coaches and do weight training. I also imagine it's much harder to focus on learning new technique when you're under NHL pressure. AHL would definitely be better for Jiricek's progress, in my opinion.
I know thats its good for many area's but with his skating needing the work it does and not a ton of progress made over the last year I wonder if the team also questions how much growth he'd actually get there. Almost like learn to play with it type of deal, seems very ingrained and looks like he may be one of those stubborn guys that its hard to correct.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Almost 19 minutes and was in Top 4. Looks pretty confident in NHL. I don't think he'll stay up but he's so damn encouraging for Czech hockey since all we have is Rutta, Gudas and Hronek in the NHL.. then a painful 2 or 3 year pause till a few more join the party. Worst case sceneario is Jiricek and Hronek in NHL, Gudas on LTIR and that's it in 2 years.lol

Reactions: Goodman68

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Almost 19 minutes and was in Top 4. Looks pretty confident in NHL. I don't think he'll stay up but he's so damn encouraging for Czech hockey since all we have is Rutta, Gudas and Hronek in the NHL.. then a painful 2 or 3 year pause till a few more join the party. Worst case sceneario is Jiricek and Hronek in NHL, Gudas on LTIR and that's it in 2 years.lol

Yeah he played fairly well everything considered. Not really in over his head. There should be more development time but I think he stays up. Once the team starts actually playing hockey with a purpose we can see him provide more on the offensive side of the ice where he can really excel. The team needs balance in the pairs as Peeke didnt look good, Boqvist and Severson simply cannot be paired together and Werenski should hopefully be back soon. Id expect a push to move a D soon (Garland trade?) and then go back to Werenski-Jiricek Provorov-Severson Bean-Gudbranson

Id also imagine Svozil and Spacek will be knocking on the door in a couple years

Reactions: Czechboy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad