RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah he played fairly well everything considered. Not really in over his head. There should be more development time but I think he stays up. Once the team starts actually playing hockey with a purpose we can see him provide more on the offensive side of the ice where he can really excel. The team needs balance in the pairs as Peeke didnt look good, Boqvist and Severson simply cannot be paired together and Werenski should hopefully be back soon. Id expect a push to move a D soon (Garland trade?) and then go back to Werenski-Jiricek Provorov-Severson Bean-Gudbranson

Id also imagine Svozil and Spacek will be knocking on the door in a couple years
As an Oil fan knowing there are Columbus D available I was interested in Peeke and Boqvist.. they did not have good games according to the chart.lol Note: I didn't see the game and some people hate those cards/charts.

Every guy on your D is a name... looks like a solid D!

I'd also like to add Jiricek's brother and Svozil's brother to the list of future D.

Reactions: tunnelvision

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Hows he been this season in CBJ... Strictly stat looking nothing really sticks out except shot blocking...

22gp.
1g. 4a. 5pts.
16pim.
16sog.
9 hits.
27 blocks.
13:43 toi. with 0:00 on pp and 0:08 on pk

What's his upside? Will he get any PP time on CBJ?... Curious what he will project to be and who a good comparison is.

Also have many weaknesses stuck out in these 22 games this season?

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Hows he been this season in CBJ... Strictly stat looking nothing really sticks out except shot blocking...

22gp.
1g. 4a. 5pts.
16pim.
16sog.
9 hits.
27 blocks.

What's his upside? Will he get any PP time on CBJ?... Curious what he will project to be and who a good comparison is.

Those are all 5v5 points, and in limited minutes, so that's actually a pretty good 1.0 P/60, good for a D-man.

What really stands out positively is David's defensive stats. David has the lowest xGA/60 and the lowest goals against /60 by a good margin, among Jackets defenders. Some of that might be sheltering but he also has some good attributes defending in his zone. Very good defensive stick and he handles the puck well under pressure.

His big weakness continues to be rush defense. His backward skating is awkward, and he can get burned. Though it feels like he hasn't been burned in a few weeks. It certainly looks like a vulnerability.

David's upside depends a lot on getting prime offensive opportunities and high powerplay quarterback minutes. He has a great slap shot and wrister, he can pass and fake passes and shots convincingly. His mobility to walk the line is sketchy, not sure if that will be a problem at the highest level. He scored a ton of PP points in the AHL. The Jackets board unanimously wants to see Jiricek on the PP right now, but they so far haven't given him an opportunity. He's in a much smaller role than we've seen from other top rookies like Pavel Mintyukov, Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec.

Last edited:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Those are all 5v5 points, and in limited minutes, so that's actually a pretty good 1.0 P/60, good for a D-man.

What really stands out positively is David's defensive stats. David has the lowest xGA/60 and the lowest goals against /60 by a good margin, among Jackets defenders. Some of that might be sheltering but he also has some good attributes defending in his zone. Very good defensive stick and he handles the puck well under pressure.

His big weakness continues to be rush defense. His backward skating is awkward, and he can get burned. Though it feels like he hasn't been burned in a few weeks. It certainly looks like a vulnerability.

David's upside depends a lot on getting prime offensive opportunities and high powerplay quarterback minutes. He has a great slap shot and wrister, he can pass and fake passes and shots convincingly. His mobility to walk the line is sketchy, not sure if that will be a problem at the highest level. He scored a ton of PP points in the AHL. The Jackets board unanimously wants to see Jiricek on the PP right now, but they so far haven't given him an opportunity. He's in a much smaller role than we've seen from other top rookies like Pavel Mintyukov, Luke Hughes and Simon Nemec.

22gp.
1g. 4a. 5pts.
16pim.
16sog.
9 hits.
27 blocks.

There was one game this year where at least for a peruod looked like the most confident/dangerous we've ever seen him. But those moments have been far and few in between. Once/if he gets there and can do that consistently he's going to be a top Dman in the league. You can just see the potential on those plays.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019

This. Give him some f***in PP time already damn ... he needs to put in use that beast of a shot he has.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Jackets may have a problem here

The Blue Jackets’ handling (mishandling?) of rookie defenseman David Jiricek has raised eyebrows all season, and it reached a boiling point this week.

Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekäläinen and coach Pascal Vincent don’t believe that Jiricek is, at present, one of the club’s top six defensemen, which is why the 20-year-old has been sent back to AHL Cleveland for the fourth time this season.

But Jiricek, the No. 6 pick in the 2022 NHL draft, believes he’s NHL-ready after spending last season in the AHL. That’s why the relationship has become strained, and it’s why Jiricek bears watching over the next few days and weeks.

“I played good hockey in the NHL,” Jiricek told The Athletic Friday. “I’m an NHL player right now. That’s my opinion, that I should be in the NHL right now.

“I see guys from the same draft, like Simon Nemec (in New Jersey) and (Kevin) Korchinski (in Chicago) … they get a chance on the power play. They play a ton of minutes in the NHL. Those are different teams, so different situations, but I can compare with them. I just want a chance to play like that.”

Jiricek last played an NHL game on Jan. 9 when the Blue Jackets lost 5-0 in Winnipeg. He played only 15:45 in that game, with two shots on goal, no points and an even rating. After that, he was scratched in three straight games before being sent back to Cleveland.

“They told me the last game was not good enough for me,” Jiricek said. “I told them I don’t think so, but that’s your opinion. I was out of the lineup after that. A whole month now, it feels like I haven’t played.”

Jiricek was recalled to Columbus last Sunday before the Jackets left on a five-game road trip, but he was a healthy scratch against Edmonton on Tuesday and sent back to Cleveland before Thursday’s game in Calgary.

There was concern that Jiricek might consider not reporting to Cleveland, but he arrived on Friday and played for the Monsters on Saturday. What’s next, however, is unclear.

“It’s been most of the month without hockey, so I will play (Saturday),” Jiricek said after sitting out Friday’s game. “After that, we’ll see.”

The Blue Jackets, meanwhile, say they’re handling Jiricek as they would (and have) handled any other prospect, by making decisions that will benefit him in the long run.

“Our feeling has been that even if he doesn’t play in all of the roles he’s likely to play in the future, it’s best for his development to play against NHL players and practice against NHL players,” Kekäläinen said. “He’s already proved that he’s a very good player in that league.

“He does a lot of good things with the puck, but he’s got to learn to defend better. He needs to learn that on an NHL level, but if he’s not playing here, he needs to play in the American League because he needs to play.”

Jiricek’s skating is fine in straight lines and predictable bursts, but he doesn’t get his feet tangled when the play changes abruptly. That’s an issue in the defensive zone, especially against the NHL’s quicker and more agile players.

But it’s absolutely correctable, through repetition and experience.

Vincent, the first-year head coach, has opted to play Andrew Peeke ahead of Jiricek in recent games. And even when Jiricek has played, Vincent has sheltered him severely. He’s averaged only 14:47 per game. That’s 19th among NHL rookie defensemen who’ve played in 10 or more games this season.

In 36 games, Jiricek has 1-8-9 and a minus-1 rating.

“We see huge potential,” Vincent said. “This young man has to play minutes. He has to be put on the ice. He has to be on the power play. He has to play at the end of each period. He’s got tremendous skills, just skills that are hard to teach.

“Having said that, we’re trying to build a 200-foot defenseman, an elite defenseman who will play heavy minutes against top opponents. In order to do that, he needs reps. For him to develop those skills, the best way to do it right now — having been in the NHL for 36 games — this (the AHL) is the best route for him.”

When Jiricek was with the Blue Jackets, he did special session work with skating coach Lee Harris as well as video work with assistant coaches Steve McCarthy and Josef Boumedienne. “So even when he wasn’t playing here, time wasn’t wasted,” Kekäläinen said.

The Blue Jackets “have had a plan for Jiricek right from the start of the season,” Kekäläinen said, but there have been mixed signals along the way.

Jiricek was sent to AHL Cleveland at the end of training camp but was recalled to Columbus after the season opener. In November, he was pulled aside by Kekäläinen and told to “get a place” in Columbus, which is always a big moment for a young player.

Less than a week later, however, Jiricek was sent back to the AHL to play for a weekend before he was quickly recalled to Columbus.

It appeared that the same path was being followed earlier this month when Jiricek was sent to Cleveland after his three healthy scratches in Columbus. But after flying with the club to Edmonton for the start of their road trip, he was again a healthy scratch.

“In November, I started looking for an apartment in Columbus,” Jiricek said. “The dream was coming true.”

Now he’s living in a Cleveland hotel while his Columbus apartment sits empty, he said.

“The guys here in Cleveland are awesome. The coaches are awesome,” Jiricek said. “It’s fun to be here now, because there’s a lot of winning. There’s a good energy. But still … this is not what I want, right?”

The Blue Jackets have not said how long they plan to keep Jiricek in Cleveland. That’s hard to predict with injuries, of course.

But Vincent and Kekäläinen both made it sound like it could be a while, perhaps through the end of the season. And Kekäläinen made it clear to Jiricek, he said, that he would join AHL Cleveland for their playoff push after the Blue Jackets’ regular season ends.

“Who knows how long it’s going to be?” Vincent said. “I think he needs a little bit of stability. The good thing about it is he’s going to a good team. They’re winning. They’re aspiring. They’re going to make the (AHL) playoffs and hopefully have a long run in the playoffs. I don’t see a downside to it, myself.”

As for Jiricek’s impatience toward starting his NHL career, Vincent said he gets it. He actually likes it, too.

“I told him, don’t lose that,” Vincent said. “We want that from you. That part of his game, his confidence, is a reflection of how he plays. He has some swagger about him.

“I get it. My daughter wants her own car. She’s 13 years old. It’s the Amazon effect. Everybody wants it now.”

If Jiricek dominates in the AHL, Kekäläinen said, a recall would only make sense. But the Blue Jackets, after Tuesday’s game in St, Louis, don’t play again until Feb. 10. The trade deadline is still six weeks away.

Kekäläinen said he has no problem “putting players on waivers” to clear a spot for Jiricek if he deserves it.

“Hopefully, a month from now, he’s playing so good that we just can’t keep him out of our lineup,” Kekäläinen said.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I'm not saying this is right or wrong, but this is what happens when you jerk around more talented and better players in favor of guys that "work hard" and "play the right way". CBJ sucks and they should be going with the ups and downs of their young players and letting them learn on the fly. Put them in good positions, all situations, and close your eyes.

Not to mention the whole Babcock situation. Not sure how ownership puts up with that any longer.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Banner day for the Jackets... pissed of potential Franchise D and Laine gone to player assistance.

Did he compare Jiricek to a 13 year old that wants a car???? Did I seriously read that?

I type this a lot as an Oiler and Czech fan.. but drafting players with elite skillsets and not letting them use those skillsets is a recipe for disaster! To maximize Jiricek, you need him on the PP and getting points. That's his talent. Brent Burn's is a comparable. His weakness may be defending but only playing him at even strength and telling him to defend just means he spends the entire game playing to his weakness.

I'm fine with AHL (especially during All star break) and hope he is getting 25 a night in all situations.

I will say, disapointed that I read all this and it's public. Rookie should probably let his agent do the talking for him.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Just absolutely bizarre usage. Don't blame the kid for being upset.
Hey, we've got an elite offensive Dman here... bang it off the glass and block more shots David. You'll never be in a position to pass or score. This is not Vincent Desharnais.lol

I saw it with Bouch too.. the Oilers did this and it wasn't good. Now he still makes mistakes on the D side but he also contributes a tonne on the offensive side. Some players need the puck and opportunity to shine. He doesn't get that. And if they can't give it to him, then I'm fine with Cleveland for the rest of the season but, at some point, let him play the game you drafted him to play.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Also... Oilers could really use him for the playoffs. We have some guys that ever make mistakes on D, love skating backwards and never play PP. Let's make it happen.lol.

On a more serious note... Broberg for Jiricek straight up.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Jarmo is an idiot for basically telling him youre an NHLer and telling him to get a place and then seeing Jiricek's play dip had to back peddle with all of his prais

Allan Walsh is also an ego booster so you know damn well he's in Jiricek's ear everyday.

Jiricek has to also be more honest with himself and his issues. He has some very solid games and then some poor ones. His strength and skating are not up to snuff yet, fans knew it but everyone around him kept saying how amazing he is. Dude needs to develop, we arent wanting to see a guy survive in the NHL, Jiricek is a guy we expect to dominate in the NHL. Stop worrying about Korchinski/Nemec/Mintyukov and whoever else and worry about getting himself to a spot where he cant be denied a roster spot.

Also... Oilers could really use him for the playoffs. We have some guys that ever make mistakes on D, love skating backwards and never play PP. Let's make it happen.lol.

On a more serious note... Broberg for Jiricek straight up.

Thats your serious note? Thats the biggest joke in here

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Jarmo sucks.

Laine, elite scorer with elite shot and cool mentality. One trick pony or not, give him a playmaking center with decent speed and he' ll score you 30-40 goals. CBJ? Let's make him a center even if he's not the best skater and specifically a scoring winger, a sniper... Also let's not forget his father passed, the one who learned him that shot and he probably got depressed and all these injuries... I mean schoolbook example of mismanaging your younger stars.

Same thing with Jiricek. Biggest talent from the draft for me going in. Even before Nemec and Cooley. Ice cold with the puck, big but still mostly seen as an offensive D for me. Like a young Ristolainen with better puck handling, shot and IQ, almost on Heinolas level. And yeah, look what they did...
Don't get me wrong, a lot bigger prospect than Ristolainen ever was but as we know Sabres was pretty bad with prospects just like Oilers back in the days. And if this s*it keeps on going he will became another Ristolainen and that would be a sad day for hockey fans considering his potential.
CBJ is a shithouse.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Jarmo sucks.

Laine, elite scorer with elite shot and cool mentality. One trick pony or not, give him a playmaking center with decent speed and he' ll score you 30-40 goals. CBJ? Let's make him a center even if he's not the best skater and specifically a scoring winger, a sniper... Also let's not forget his father passed, the one who learned him that shot and he probably got depressed and all these injuries... I mean schoolbook example of mismanaging your younger stars.

Same thing with Jiricek. Biggest talent from the draft for me going in. Even before Nemec and Cooley. Ice cold with the puck, big but still mostly seen as an offensive D for me. Like a young Ristolainen with better puck handling, shot and IQ, almost on Heinolas level. And yeah, look what they did...
Don't get me wrong, a lot bigger prospect than Ristolainen ever was but as we know Sabres was pretty bad with prospects just like Oilers back in the days. And if this s*it keeps on going he will became another Ristolainen and that would be a sad day for hockey fans considering his potential.
CBJ is a shithouse.
Well sending him down to Cleveland is the 1st smart thing the team has done in awhile. He has some physical deficiencies to improve before he takes the next step. They screwed up by stroking his ego and then being forced to go back on it when the level of play dipped. Atleast now he'll get major minutes in all situations on a team that is actually winning hockey games

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
Well sending him down to Cleveland is the 1st smart thing the team has done in awhile. He has some physical deficiencies to improve before he takes the next step. They screwed up by stroking his ego and then being forced to go back on it when the level of play dipped. Atleast now he'll get major minutes in all situations on a team that is actually winning hockey games
The relationship looks strained to say the least.

He went out in the media. The damage is done.

... and then Vincent comes out and basically says it's because he's spoiled and wants everything now (the "Amazon effect") like his 13 y old daughter.

What a mess.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
The relationship looks strained to say the least.

He went out in the media. The damage is done.

... and then Vincent comes out and basically says it's because he's spoiled and wants everything now (the "Amazon effect") like his 13 y old daughter.

What a mess.
Yeesh. Columbus needs to clean house from top to bottom if they want Jiricek to be the solution long-term.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I get that he is upset but his development is better off playing huge all situations MPG in the minors at this point IMO.

I also really hope this is him being upset and not a feeling of entitlement as I really like the player.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I don't think comparing him to a 13 year old girl is stroking his ego too much. Or not playing a 20 year old for basically a month. Columbus management is quite questionable.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I don't think comparing him to a 13 year old girl is stroking his ego too much. Or not playing a 20 year old for basically a month. Columbus management is quite questionable.
Yeah its questionable, Jarmo told him to get a place because hes an NHLer before Jiricek earned it. Some of the time off is alright, he needs gym time and skating work which is what he was getting in Columbus. Now hes where he belongs and should be getting major minutes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad