Speculation: 2023-24-25 Sharks Roster Discussion

Crewouse

Mar 30, 2016
I think we sign Ekblad this offseason. Florida won't have cap space for him, we can offer $8M a year for 7 years (something most others can't) and he can continue to play in a quieter hockey market where he can age gracefully as opposed to Detroit/Toronto where the media scrutiny will be far worse (even though it's home).

Not saying it is the best addition we could possibly make, but it makes a lot of sense given what I'd imagine is his desire to continue playing top pairing minutes and getting paid on a long-term deal. Add in our need for a big minute munching RHD and I think there is a definite fit.
ooh a scary short story, very spooky. Thanks for sharing 👻

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
I think the plan should be to find a gem from some team that has a deep defensive prospect pool that you can help with our forward prospect depth. Then try to add a veteran defencemen next free agency.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Speculation on our 5th line problem is that Gush or Dellandrea, probably Dellandrea first, will get the press box tomorrow for grundstrom and/or Kostin... If Gush sits, Kostin since he can play PP2, if Dellandrea sits, probably Grundstrom. Don't think G. Smith is needed vs Anaheim but we'll see.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
Speculation on our 5th line problem is that Gush or Dellandrea, probably Dellandrea first, will get the press box tomorrow for grundstrom and/or Kostin... If Gush sits, Kostin since he can play PP2, if Dellandrea sits, probably Grundstrom. Don't think G. Smith is needed vs Anaheim but we'll see.
Thell need someone to take punches to the face from Ross Johnson

WSS11

Oct 7, 2009
I think we sign Ekblad this offseason. Florida won't have cap space for him, we can offer $8M a year for 7 years (something most others can't) and he can continue to play in a quieter hockey market where he can age gracefully as opposed to Detroit/Toronto where the media scrutiny will be far worse (even though it's home).

Not saying it is the best addition we could possibly make, but it makes a lot of sense given what I'd imagine is his desire to continue playing top pairing minutes and getting paid on a long-term deal. Add in our need for a big minute munching RHD and I think there is a definite fit.

Signing Ekblad for 7 years with his injury history would be a giant mistake.

Reactions: Shark Finn

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Dellandrea doesnt look long for the nhl

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
A true #1D is someone you feel comfortable putting in any pressure situation late, down a goal, up a goal, tied, whatever

None of those 3 were ever reliable if called upon to defend a lead late, they were all-go, full-send, defense-be-damned kind of players, EXCEPTIONAL top pairing defensemen, but not real-deal #1s

Reactions: Hodge

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
A true #1D is someone you feel comfortable putting in any pressure situation late, down a goal, up a goal, tied, whatever

None of those 3 were ever reliable if called upon to defend a lead late, they were all-go, full-send, defense-be-damned kind of players, EXCEPTIONAL top pairing defensemen, but not real-deal #1s
I felt extremely comfortable putting all those players in all those situations.

hotcabbagesoup

"I'm going to get what I deserve" -RutgerMcgroarty
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Boyle I would be comfortable with.

Burns would starfish or shoot wide, have the puck rim around the boards really hard, free breakout for the other team.

Karlsson would always always be too overaggressive offensively and look there's another odd-man rush against.

Reactions: Hodge

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021

Agreed. Peak Vlasic (~2013-2016) is the closest thing we've ever had to a true #1 defenseman.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
Agreed. Peak Vlasic (~2013-2016) is the closest thing we've ever had to a true #1 defenseman.
Vlasic was the other side of the coin, unbelievable defensive player but no offense to speak of, he was the ideal #2D but if you were down a goal and needed a strong puck mover on the ice he would be one of the last players you want out there

I felt extremely comfortable putting all those players in all those situations.
And I disagree, I wouldn't want any of those players defending a lead late

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad