RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Here are some of David's plays from last night. Very good performance overall. Great breakout passing, excellent display both on the PP and SH. Good second effort on defense. Also, his skating looks much better compared to the summer WJC. More powerful stride, improved stability and overall speed. Some turnovers in his own zone but nothing terrible.

AHL doesn't seem to provide ice time stats but I reckon he got around 20-23 minutes.

Awesome, what an excellent game! Looks like he’s playing his best hockey since the WJC injury.

Don’t like the BJs calling him up, seems like he’s really hitting his stride in the AHL and developing well, why disrupt that?

Reactions: majormajor

nergish

Jun 1, 2019

Whoa, what did I miss?!
This guy was my favourite prospect in the entire '22 draft, and he's already going to be playing NHL minutes?

I didn't even realize he was playing in the AHL! I guess injuries gave him an opening, but has he really been that good post-draft? I figured this guy was at least a year away, especially missing so much development time due to injury.

Reactions: wetcoast

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Whoa, what did I miss?!
This guy was my favourite prospect in the entire '22 draft, and he's already going to be playing NHL minutes?

I didn't even realize he was playing in the AHL! I guess injuries gave him an opening, but has he really been that good post-draft? I figured this guy was at least a year away, especially missing so much development time due to injury.
4 pts in 5 games and last cut at camp is very encouraging. But the smallest of sample sizes and I have no idea how good Cleveland ... Eg. Maybe they score 5 a night and 4 points is last on the team lol.

However... Main reason is boqvist got hurt and another guy with a long name is out too. My feel is this is very temporary. Also not sure if the 9 game thing applies to him. If it does... I'd love him to get 9 games in throughout season and then a to do list for AHL.

Reactions: Goodman68

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'd love him to get 9 games in throughout season and then a to do list for AHL.

In Jiricek's case though we already know what he needs to work on in the AHL - it's mostly just skating and physical development. He just needs time down there where the schedule allows for that kind of training.

The NHL time is going to dig into that time and possibly put too much caution in his game.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Jiricek got absolutely roasted here.. however, it was already 6-1 and late in the third. I imagine a lot of Blue Jacket's were looking bad at the 55 minute mark down 6-1.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I've seen him get burned like that so many times. Still probably recovering semi from his injury though.

PK

Jul 11, 2022
I've seen him get burned like that so many times. Still probably recovering semi from his injury though.
It’s quite possible that the injury will affect him for the rest of his career.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Eh, Wood has the speed to burn many defensemen. I obviously hope Jiricek continues to improve his skating but once he adds some mass and can start taking the body instead of just trying to outskate people while being knocked off balance too easily it will make a world of difference to his game.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

Jiricek got absolutely roasted here.. however, it was already 6-1 and late in the third. I imagine a lot of Blue Jacket's were looking bad at the 55 minute mark down 6-1.

Not really a big deal here part of the learning curve, the other Jacket players absolutely quit on the play as well and was probably indicative of the score where the team was just running out the clock.

Columbus is still a quite young team and when they get their number 1 center, maybe Bedard or Fantalli, they are going to turn around their ship really fast some great young players they have.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Not really a big deal here part of the learning curve, the other Jacket players absolutely quit on the play as well and was probably indicative of the score where the team was just running out the clock.

Columbus is still a quite young team and when they get their number 1 center, maybe Bedard or Fantalli, they are going to turn around their ship really fast some great young players they have.
Yup... 6-1 and 5 minutes left and THIS is the time we evaluate how well he is playing.lol Makes for a great meme and I'm actually thrilled it happened when it did. Much better than in OT or final minute of a tie game.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Eh, Wood has the speed to burn many defensemen. I obviously hope Jiricek continues to improve his skating but once he adds some mass and can start taking the body instead of just trying to outskate people while being knocked off balance to easily it will make a world of difference to his game.

Completely agree

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

That gives him 7 points in 8 games so far, great start.

He's 18.. has played for the national team at the Skoda Cup, has played 2 NHL games and is almost at a .ppg pace in the AHL which is a very hard league for 18 year old D (think there are only 2 this season). Arrows up. He also has more points in the AHL then he did at the World Jrs in summer so I'd say his knee and covid effects are gone.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
He's 18.. has played for the national team at the Skoda Cup, has played 2 NHL games and is almost at a .ppg pace in the AHL which is a very hard league for 18 year old D (think there are only 2 this season). Arrows up. He also has more points in the AHL then he did at the World Jrs in summer so I'd say his knee and covid effects are gone.
Agreed 100%. AHL is very tough for a 18 yo to survive in - they will test you physically, and while it's not like the old AHL, it's still a league where they let a lot go, compared to the NHL. Hopefully he is ready for the mental/culture challenge of playing minor league NA hockey, also. Some aren't.
In some ways, the NHL is easier, as the players are more pampered there.
what Jiricek will really have to learn is how to defend. He doesn't have to be the next Slavin, but he needs to be at least competent.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Agreed 100%. AHL is very tough for a 18 yo to survive in - they will test you physically, and while it's not like the old AHL, it's still a league where they let a lot go, compared to the NHL. Hopefully he is ready for the mental/culture challenge of playing minor league NA hockey, also. Some aren't.
In some ways, the NHL is easier, as the players are more pampered there.
what Jiricek will really have to learn is how to defend. He doesn't have to be the next Slavin, but he needs to be at least competent.
And I'd like that to happen far from the NHL spotlight as he will be turnstyled a few times for sure. I'll be surprised if he isn't a full timer next season. My dream remaains... stay in AHL, go to WJC, finish in AHL, go to World's (no bench this time). Next season... welcome to the NHL.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
And I'd like that to happen far from the NHL spotlight as he will be turnstyled a few times for sure. I'll be surprised if he isn't a full timer next season. My dream remaains... stay in AHL, go to WJC, finish in AHL, go to World's (no bench this time). Next season... welcome to the NHL.
Usually what happens is that they come into the 2nd year of the AHL much more prepared, as the 1st year is always an eye opener. For really young Dmen like him (which is a difficult position to play, as opposed to wing), it's often a good idea to get 10 or so AHL games in the 2nd season, then bring him up, if his play warrants it.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

That would be a fun schedule to watch as a Jiricek fan, but it wouldn't be bad for his development to leave more time for weight training. He's not strong yet compared to NHLers. He'll sooner make the NHL because his puck skills are good and his shot is elite, but I hope he is physically ready too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad