RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
I’ve been watching the Czech games closely as a Sabres fan to watch Kulich (who had two good games followed by two pretty lousy ones) and Jiricek has stood out to me as struggling. Not gonna say he’s a bust or anything, but if I was a CBJ fan I would have an ounce of worry about his play so far.

Reactions: AlexanderTheGood

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I’ve been watching the Czech games closely as a Sabres fan to watch Kulich (who had two good games followed by two pretty lousy ones) and Jiricek has stood out to me as struggling. Not gonna say he’s a bust or anything, but if I was a CBJ fan I would have an ounce of worry about his play so far.
Its probably impossible to worry less than I am right now

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I’m not worried. He hasn’t popped out to me negatively like some people in here think. He’s not been good either, but I’m willing to let it slide since it’s a high energy tournament after a long summer and off of covid. No worries

Reactions: LJ7 and majormajor

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
It's a run down summer version of a tournament that should be happening in the holidays guys, relax. Lots of good players look really sloppy in the summer tournament so far and thats to be expected during offseason. Give it a few months and wait for the actual 2023 tourny come December to see where he's at.

Reactions: CBJx614 and NitroF

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Certainly hasn’t looked himself this tourney. I honestly wonder if there’s anything bothering him.
He was so good before he got injured last tournament. Has shown a lot since coming back as well.
I wouldn’t be too worried about him.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Certainly hasn’t looked himself this tourney. I honestly wonder if there’s anything bothering him.
He was so good before he got injured last tournament. Has shown a lot since coming back as well.
I wouldn’t be too worried about him.
Well, as mentioned he did have covid the week before the tournament and it was a question whether or not he’d be able to play at the start. Maybe his conditioning is taking a hit from that

Reactions: czechcanadian

ProfessorFink22

May 28, 2020
I'm going to wait until December to be worried after a) He's not coming right off COVID, b) He has a season of getting some flow in his game after the summer off, and c) He's not playing as technically an underage player. Remember this is still his draft year tournament, not his draft +1.

His defensive positioning has made me scratch my head a bit at times, and it feels like he wants to be aggressive and jump up in the rush, but pulls back. Is he unconfident? Is he not physically 100%? Is he trying to fit a system that isn't promoting him taking risks? He's done some good things, and I see his potential offensively and along the boards a lot. Still excited for him.

Reactions: majormajor

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
I remember the concerns of many HF experts on another highly rated CBJ propect in recent history after his subpar World Junior Championship performance a few years back. PLD turned out ok after that meh tournament despite the criticism. Jiricek's future development is not going to be indicative of one Covid related tournament, his noticable poor play at times or the criticism because of it. He will be fine.

Reactions: CBJWerenski8

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I'm going to wait until December to be worried after a) He's not coming right off COVID, b) He has a season of getting some flow in his game after the summer off, and c) He's not playing as technically an underage player. Remember this is still his draft year tournament, not his draft +1.

His defensive positioning has made me scratch my head a bit at times, and it feels like he wants to be aggressive and jump up in the rush, but pulls back. Is he unconfident? Is he not physically 100%? Is he trying to fit a system that isn't promoting him taking risks? He's done some good things, and I see his potential offensively and along the boards a lot. Still excited for him.
Ill probably wait until hes about 22 before I worry

Reactions: Monk and Voodoozz

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Very excited to see this kid when he makes the show. One of the more intriguing prospects to come along in a while.

Reactions: User9992

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Happy that he's developing far from the bright lights... I don't know enough about Columbus to suggest he should make their D. Not sure who his competition is for his side? I did notice they're getting killed though.lol

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
Here are some of David's plays from last night. Very good performance overall. Great breakout passing, excellent display both on the PP and SH. Good second effort on defense. Also, his skating looks much better compared to the summer WJC. More powerful stride, improved stability and overall speed. Some turnovers in his own zone but nothing terrible.

AHL doesn't seem to provide ice time stats but I reckon he got around 20-23 minutes.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Here are some of David's plays from last night. Very good performance overall. Great breakout passing, excellent display both on the PP and SH. Good second effort on defense. Also, his skating looks much better compared to the summer WJC. More powerful stride, improved stability and overall speed. Some turnovers in his own zone but nothing terrible.

AHL doesn't seem to provide ice time stats but I reckon he got around 20-23 minutes.

According to the video, his playing really looked a lot better than at the WJC.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Happy that he's developing far from the bright lights... I don't know enough about Columbus to suggest he should make their D. Not sure who his competition is for his side? I did notice they're getting killed though.lol
Jiricek could be an upgrade to any RD in the system right now not named Blankenburg but I don't think there are enough reasons to rush him. Jackets might be getting destroyed defensively more now than they would with him but it's better to keep in the minors than to risk his health in NHL competition...you know, his knee could get destroyed too, considering the lack of experience with NA hockey and undeveloped physique.

Last edited:

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
That Jiricek´s pass to Marchenko and that Marchenko´s backhand HOLY f***ING SHIIIT! Also i would not be suprised if he is top 4D by the end of the year.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

What a performance! This is the best he's looked since his knee injury.

They already have Boqvist in surplus while it's hard to imagine Peeke, Gudbranson, or Blankenburg leaving the lineup. Unless there are multiple RD injuries I doubt he gets any NHL action.

And that would be good. He's developing well in the AHL and needs to use this year to get stronger skating and stronger legs. He plays like a beast but he is doing it with bambi legs and should be even better when he's stronger. AHL is the best place for focusing on strength training and focusing on skating technique. We shouldn't see Jiricek in the NHL for a year or two. Seider/Makar slow path.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I take it you haven't heard of Brad Larsen? :laugh:

Hopefully Blankenburg will be back in the lineup soon so they can send him back to Cleveland. Bayreuther was called up earlier this week, my guess is he'll be the first to draw in. We'll see.
Kral got called up, didn't play and sent back too.

It's be cool if he got a game but we will see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad