RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
IMO it'll be 2 more years of Europe/AHL. Great way for him to further refine his game, bulk up and gain some more confidence.
I also would’ve thought Europe or AHL is most likely, but Spokane kept his rights in the CHL import draft this season and passed in the 2nd round to do so. That must mean that they at least have a small reason to believe he could come this year.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com
I also would’ve thought Europe or AHL is most likely, but Spokane kept his rights in the CHL import draft this season and passed in the 2nd round to do so. That must mean that they at least have a small reason to believe he could come this year.
With all due respect to Spokane, David has been playing top level pro hockey ever since he was 16, the CHL would be quite a step back for his development at this point. But who knows.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Makar wasn’t playing against men at a young age. Not sure about Seider

I expect him to be here next year

I'd bet that Jiricek could hold his own in the NHL by 2023 but what's the point? You draft him for his top pair upside not his ability to fill in. And I want him experimenting and pushing the boundaries of his skill, so many young players stop doing that and just try to survive once they get to the NHL.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
I'd bet that Jiricek could hold his own in the NHL by 2023 but what's the point? You draft him for his top pair upside not his ability to fill in. And I want him experimenting and pushing the boundaries of his skill, so many young players stop doing that and just try to survive once they get to the NHL.
Sure. But that’s not to say he’ll be one of them. We’ll have to see how he plays this year.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
I hate rushing prospects and especially D prospects. This is a kid that needs to beef up and has dealt with a fairly serious injury. Give him a year back home and then maybe a year in the AHL and finally break into the NHL. I dont care if hes better than current roster players I only care about ensuring Jiricek reaches his maximum potential

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
I don't understand why do people, with all the evidence of rushed prospects struggling if not flat out crippling their careers, insist on bringing their prospects to the NHL sooner. Especially for teams that are years away from being competitive anyway.

He should follow the Seider path for sure, their careers up until this point are actually quite similar albeit Seider had more success at men's level by the time of the draft.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I don't understand why do people, with all the evidence of rushed prospects struggling if not flat out crippling their careers, insist on bringing their prospects to the NHL sooner. Especially for teams that are years away from being competitive anyway.

He should follow the Seider path for sure, their careers up until this point are actually quite similar albeit Seider had more success at men's level by the time of the draft.

There’s no clear 1 way that should be determined today.

What if he dominates next season and is top4 ready in 23-24?

How he plays and develops next year should show where he should play in his +2 season.

Heiskanen was dominant in his +1 season and basically was a top pairing Dman in the NHL from day 1

Or maybe his game shows that 2 years elsewhere is better for his development

Last edited:

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018

Kind of a stupid trend across many sports..

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
There’s no clear 1 way that should be determined today.

What if he dominates next season and is top4 ready in 23-24?

How he plays and develops next year should show where he should play in his +2 season.

Heiskanen was dominant in his +1 season and basically was a top pairing Dman in the NHL from day 1

Or maybe his game shows that 2 years elsewhere is better for his development
Would Heiskanens development have been wrecked if he didnt play in the NHL in year one?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Would Heiskanens development have been wrecked if he didnt play in the NHL in year one?

Heiskanen didn’t play in the NHL in his +1 season
He had a concussion and missed the camp

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
From a neutral fan’s perspective mind you…

With his size and physicality I would be looking to get him into the NHL no later than his D+1 season.

Even if he is playing on the third pairing and is in and out of the lineup in his rookie season, I think it’s important to get him used to playing at NHL pace, the grind, the speed and physicality of the game.

Last edited:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

With his size and physicality I would be looking to get him into the NHL no later than his D+1 season.

Even if he is playing on the third pairing and is in and out of the lineup in his rookie season, I think it’s important to get him used to playing at NHL pace, the grind, the speed and physicality of the game.
I disagree.

Makar, the best defender (and maybe best player) in the league right now was older for his DY and took 2 years before getting to the NHL.

Seider and Hughes (only 1 season) are also good examples. Sanderson and Power may prove to be as well.

There’s no upside in rushing it imo

Reactions: Luc Poitras

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I disagree.

Makar, the best defender (and maybe best player) in the league right now was older for his DY and took 2 years before getting to the NHL.

Seider and Hughes (only 1 season) are also good examples. Sanderson and Power may prove to be as well.

There’s no upside in rushing it imo
That's not how development works. Each person's development is unique to them, every prospect does not get drafted at the same point in their trajectory.

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com

Jiricek's "physicality" is a myth to a huge excent. He tries to hit guys fairly often but he hasn't been very succesful so far, he often misses his checks and isn't strong enough to outmuscle grown men at the boards. He's a tall lanky kid who needs to grow into his frame and learn how to use his size properly to be more effective phisically. He can definitely become a menacing figure on the ice as he gets older and builds some muscle, but he's not there just yet IMO. Anyway, you want him primarily for his rare combination of size, skill, shiftiness and IQ, not for his physicality.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
That's not how development works. Each person's development is unique to them, every prospect does not get drafted at the same point in their trajectory.
Of course. I agree there. Kind of shows my point though, that guys don’t need to be in the NHL to develop to a star level.

And to your point about unique development— Those are 3 very different players and the smallest and least “pro ready” (on paper in a traditional sense) of them in Hughes was the earliest to hit the league.

I think it’s certainly in the cards that Jiricek can play this year or next year and be great, just that there’s less risk in waiting.

pgfan66

Jun 26, 2019
I know this is an unpopular opinion here, but I really think the WHL wouldn’t be a bad idea for Jiricek.

My first thought was he has nothing to prove at the junior level after two pro seasons including games for the men’s national team. But all the points discussed above make me think it’d be a good fit. In Czechia, he’d get a bigger role but he’d still be competing for ice time on a team that’s playing to win.

In the WHL, he could be a leader and develop his game with lots of freedom and little pressure. He can get stronger and adjust to the North American style of play on an NHL-style schedule, with 68 games (+ playoffs) including back-to-backs (and sometimes even 3 straight) and NHL-level travel. He’ll likely be the best defenceman in the entire CHL but he’ll get to prove it in what might be the most talented WHL we’ve seen in years, with a combination of high-end 2023 eligibles and NHL-drafted players. He’ll face players like Bedard, Yager, Geekie and Savoie but also fellow top-10 pick Kevin Korchinski in frequent US Division matchups vs. Seattle. Another thing that’s often ignored is the adjustment to life in North America, which often isn’t easy for European players.

Let him have a point-per-game season as the #1 defender in Spokane and throw him into the NHL for 2023-24, when he’s fully adjusted to North America and as confident as ever.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He shouldn't be brought up any quicker than Seider and Makar were. So two years imo.

I hate to stray from my own good judgment, but if Jiricek polishes his game this year and the Jackets are trying to win the next season, then I can see a world where it makes sense for Jiricek to be on the roster in 2023-24.

I see potential for Jiricek to be a phenomenal player from the point position. He's got a great shot, both slapper and wrister, and he's got vision and good small area deception. The bare bones are there for something great. He might eventually be a better PP option than Werenski, if his shot is better and because he's a right shot, which is a huge advantage teeing up Laine R to R.

‐---------- Johnson
Laine - Roslovic - Gaudreau
--‐-------- Jiricek

David's got a lot to improve on this year so this thought really only applies if he takes a big step. He'll have to stay healthy (no more sticking his knees out!), clean up some of his footwork, continue to get stronger, etc...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad