RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
wow didn't know his contract was that big must have been asleep. I'll chalk that one up to a rare case of a rare team that felt they were one final piece away and circumstances allowed a luxury like that and still stand by my point.
I know this is a popular sentiment but I disagree. I dislike when people say that some team should "fix the defense." Defense is not something you fix. It should be the identity and feature of the team.
No doubt. Ive been watching him alot this year, huge fan of this kid, but he isnt moving as well as prior injury thats for sure. Im confident it will come back to where it was, but it might take time, ACL is an awful injury for a kid in his draft year, but this kid has what it takes to overcome that.
Did he actually tear an ACL? Because if so, he should be out for much longer.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
I know this is a popular sentiment but I disagree. I dislike when people say that some team should "fix the defense." Defense is not something you fix. It should be the identity and feature of the team.

Did he actually tear an ACL? Because if so, he should be out for much longer.
Not sure exactly about the severity of the injury, but he went like 3-4 months easily without playing.

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
Really puling for Jiricek and wish him a speedy and complete recovery. But his medicals will be heavily scrutinized by the teams at the combine, and he'll need to show improved power and greater range of motion on his injured knee if he wishes to be selected as high as his play should warrant.

Injury notwithstanding, I am not completely sold on Jiricek's Hockey IQ, and I think he'll need to majorly improve his reads and positioning while defending (his ability to stop/anticipate the cycle is really lacking right now) if he wants to be a good D-man in the NHL, but the potential that he shows is still tantalizing.

Smooth hands (for a forward prospect, nevermind for a defenseman), a very powerful and accurate slapper and overall good wrist shot, perhaps the best sense of timing/angles to find shooting lanes as a defenseman in the draft, + size and strength, passes and manages the puck well in transition, denies zone entries really well, is freaking hard to beat 1-on-1 (except against ++ skaters), can be physical although it is not his primary type of play. The list goes on.

Seriously, those tools should and probably will warrant a top 5-10 pick, even with the uncertainty due to injury.

I personally have Nemec above him as a potential drafee (despite his muffin shot), but can understand why someone else would have the opposite opinion.

MBrodeur

Mar 30, 2022
Really puling for Jiricek and wish him a speedy and complete recovery. But his medicals will be heavily scrutinized by the teams at the combine, and he'll need to show improved power and greater range of motion on his injured knee if he wishes to be selected as high as his play should warrant.

Injury notwithstanding, I am not completely sold on Jiricek's Hockey IQ, and I think he'll need to majorly improve his reads and positioning while defending (his ability to stop/anticipate the cycle is really lacking right now) if he wants to be a good D-man in the NHL, but the potential that he shows is still tantalizing.

Smooth hands (for a forward prospect, nevermind for a defenseman), a very powerful and accurate slapper and overall good wrist shot, perhaps the best sense of timing/angles to find shooting lanes as a defenseman in the draft, + size and strength, passes and manages the puck well in transition, denies zone entries really well, is freaking hard to beat 1-on-1 (except against ++ skaters), can be physical although it is not his primary type of play. The list goes on.

Seriously, those tools should and probably will warrant a top 5-10 pick, even with the uncertainty due to injury.

I personally have Nemec above him as a potential drafee (despite his muffin shot), but can understand why someone else would have the opposite opinion.

So at this stage he sounds like a potential Weber with smoother hands and transitioning ability but worse defense?

GTA

Jul 12, 2012
Toronto
Care to elaborate? Ive watched Jiricek more than you will do in your lifetime, I have this kid ranked 1st since november. He is the next big thing on D.
I always find these these type posters hilarious. Just absurd takes with a player they seem to be obsessed with and try to gatekeep the player to defend they’re stances. Please keep posting, Goldenhands.

Reactions: Leafshater67

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s | Rest Easy #13
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
I always find these these type posters hilarious. Just absurd takes with a player they seem to be obsessed with and try to gatekeep the player to defend they’re stances. Please keep posting, Goldenhands.
I don’t think it’s out of the relm of possibility he becomes as good as GoldenHands thinks. It’s not like he’s saying this about Tyson Jugnauth, Jiricek is widly regarded as either the best or second best defender in this draft.

tmlmatus

Dec 29, 2013
Toronto
Not only Jiricek is already much better than a prime Subban, but his IQ makes Subban looks like a fool. There is no comparson to be made, Jiricek is just a much better all around defenseman.

Best comparable for Jiricek is Seider. He is no contest elite level.
How can he be better then Prime Subban right now if he is getting scratched at the world championships?

I don’t think it’s out of the relm of possibility he becomes as good as GoldenHands thinks. It’s not like he’s saying this about Tyson Jugnauth, Jiricek is widly regarded as either the best or second best defender in this draft.

GoldenHands is saying that Jiricek; right now, is better then prime Subban. That's what people have a problem with. Its a ridiculous take.

Reactions: Leafshater67

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
How can he be better then Prime Subban right now if he is getting scratched at the world championships?

GoldenHands is saying that Jiricek; right now, is better then prime Subban. That's what people have a problem with. Its a ridiculous take.
Hot take. I have some at times... ;)

Reactions: Czechboy

Intangir

Aug 14, 2008
Montreal, QC
So at this stage he sounds like a potential Weber with smoother hands and transitioning ability but worse defense?

More like a potential Brent Burns with lesser size, worse hands, and lower hockey IQ but slightly better defensive fundamentals.

Even as a prospect Weber was a monster defensively, no two ways about it.

Weber's warts as a prospect were a marked lack of puck-handling ability, major lack of offensive creativity, bad skating fundamentals (pivots, stride, edges, you name it), lack of explosiveness, poor balance, and inability to find lanes to exploit his incredible shot. Needless to say he majorly improved on all those areas, and simplified his game in such a way that offensive creativity and lack of dekes did not affect him much.

But Weber and Jiricek really are not the same type of defensemen. One was all about defense and physical play as a prospect, with subpar offensive skill, but still managed to grow himself a very solid offensive game as a pro (Weber). The other is an offensive defenseman with good skills and a crazy shot that needs to improve his reads and defense if he wants to become a good NHLer.

Last edited:

mistaclick

Feb 2, 2022
Anyone know if he's attending the combine? I know the official list posted before says he's not attending, just wondering if maybe he said otherwise in an interview, or something changed.
Cheers

Chara-3

May 7, 2007
He's celebrating the bronze medal with the rest of the team in Prague, I don't think he's attending.
I guess he will attend. Slafkovsky and Nemec are joining later too. Fitness tests are on Saturday, now just talks with GMs and scouts are happening, so it doesn't really matter if you arrive on Thursday or Friday.

Reactions: Voodoozz

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Czechia defenceman David Jiricek has long been considered a top prospect and advanced for his age. He played his first games in the Czechia Extraliga in 2019-20, facing men when he was just 16-years-old. He has spent the majority of the last two years in the league, playing full-time against men at just 17 and 18-years-old. This season he scored five goals and six assists for 11 points in 29 games with HC Plzen. He was also part of the Czechia World Junior team, picking up an assist in the one game the team played before the tournament was shut down and postponed to August. Unfortunately, he also suffered a knee injury in that World Junior game and missed the next several months after surgery.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Steal of a pick. Imagine Flyers passed on him for Gauthier! I would have chosen Jiricek before Cooley and perhaps even Wright and Nemec as well.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
According to Jarmo he plans to play in the upcoming WJC. Excited to see him there.

When is his NHL ETA? I would obviously think this season he's going back, but could he play in the NHL after next season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad