RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
surprised fans want a right shot D when Hamilton is signed for 6 more seasons. Doesn't that guarantee one of them won't be on the Power Play? Beause that would guarantee one of them won't be as valuable as they would otherwise. And if the idea is to let Jiricek take over in like 3 seasons that guarantees Hamilton will be a terrible contract the last 3. Think NJ should just take the winger who fits best with Hughes.

Tampa just won back to back Cups with their 3 LD being Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev. You can and should want multiple great Dmen.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
FWIW - he was 7th in D minutes (out of 7) with a little over 13.

The D crew averaged between 13 to 18 minutes.

Hronek with 25. He is our horse.

Reactions: Voodoozz

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

I would love to know who he beat for that record? Did Power score last year? Or is it an ancient record?

Reactions: SpitfireG

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Hronek on international stage is an absolute animal for us. Everything seems to run through him. Why doesn't he look this good when I watch Detroit games lol.
Here is my theory.. he's an excellent 2LD on a NHL playoff team.

he plays 1LD minutes on a very weak team (whom I like and is improving tremendously) and is getting exposed. Seider will be a legit 1LD next year and Detroit will be much more competitive. His minutes will go down a few minutes and everyone will love him.

He's miscast right now. Also, he's young and it's possible he grows into the 1-2 D position like he is for us.

Points wise he keeps tremendous company:

1652562107840.png

TOI he is also in good company (22 minutes):

1652562195790.png

Plus/minus is not so good though.haha
1652562266300.png

Reactions: Voodoozz

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
Tampa just won back to back Cups with their 3 LD being Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev. You can and should want multiple great Dmen.
Yes but don’t need 3 #1s . Tad bit overkill . I’m not saying Severson is a #1 . I’m saying Hamilton and Severson is suitable. The better balanced roster would have the Devils take Slafkovsky . Devils have literally zero forwards with any sort of physicality to their game ) besides 4th line players in Bastian Wiid and McLeod . Of cource I’d love to add Jiricek but I think the bigger need is Slafkovsky .

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
Yes but don’t need 3 #1s on the left side . Tad bit overkill . The better balanced roster would have the Devils take Slafkovsky . Devils have literally zero forwards with any sort of physicality to their game ) besides 4th line players in Bastian Wiid and McLeod .

That's not how you should be picking players. Slaf likely isn't even much of an impact player for 3-4 years. That's a TON of time for rosters to go through change.

GettingYourMoms

Jun 6, 2018
He should definitely get more icetime against Sweden. He had couple bad looks in first period but next two he was amazing, rock solid in his own half and very dynamic in ozone. There is top pair potential without a doubt. He really reminds me of Seider, maybe with a little higher offensive ceiling.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Am really hoping one of the D falls to Columbus at 6, however that doesn't seem too likely.
It all depends on what Schmuck Felcher does in Philadelphia. He's said numerous times that they are going to 'aggressively retool' and that taking one of Nemec or Jiricek doesn't fit what he's trying to accomplish. I full expect that they go forward in the first and that Savoie will be it. Briere will have a BIG say in who the Flyers draft and I could easily see him going to bat for Savoie.

Reactions: Larry44

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
It all depends on what Schmuck Felcher does in Philadelphia. He's said numerous times that they are going to 'aggressively retool' and that taking one of Nemec or Jiricek doesn't fit what he's trying to accomplish. I full expect that they go forward in the first and that Savoie will be it. Briere will have a BIG say in who the Flyers draft and I could easily see him going to bat for Savoie.
Philly and Jersey are the biggest wild cards for sure.

If Jersey takes one of the D at 2, which I expect to happen, I don't think either of them are on the board even for Philly to consider as I see Seattle getting the other one. If both of the D are one the board with Seattle's pick, they take one and the option is there for Philly.

Philly has a need at RHD and could use one of the big guys even if it doesn't fit into their re-tool plans.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Yes but don’t need 3 #1s . Tad bit overkill . I’m not saying Severson is a #1 . I’m saying Hamilton and Severson is suitable. The better balanced roster would have the Devils take Slafkovsky . Devils have literally zero forwards with any sort of physicality to their game ) besides 4th line players in Bastian Wiid and McLeod . Of cource I’d love to add Jiricek but I think the bigger need is Slafkovsky .
You don't need to have big physical wingers in your top 6 to be successful - it's totally okay to fill that void in your bottom 6 with guys like Bastian.

But you do need a lot of really good defenseman. Hamilton isn't even a true number 1.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
His skating looks fine to me for an 18 year old. Nobody was gonna catch Asplund after that giveaway.
His first step absolutely needs work.

Perhaps my expectations were too high then. Given how much hype this guy has, I was expecting something at least close to what Owen Power showed last year, but Jiricek has been nowhere near as good as Power at the WC. Jiricek doesn’t look horribly out of place, which is a victory for an 18 year old, but Power was incredible at the WC and people still doubted him as a #1 overall in a weak draft.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
His first step absolutely needs work.

Perhaps my expectations were too high then. Given how much hype this guy has, I was expecting something at least close to what Owen Power showed last year, but Jiricek has been nowhere near as good as Power at the WC. Jiricek doesn’t look horribly out of place, which is a victory for an 18 year old, but Power was incredible at the WC and people still doubted him as a #1 overall in a weak draft.
This draft is weaker up front than last year's draft. Power and Beniers would both go ahead of Wright IMO.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
This draft is weaker up front than last year's draft. Power and Beniers would both go ahead of Wright IMO.
I’m realizing that now :laugh: I think Power was extremely underrated in his draft reason because he “seemed” like a very old school type of player, which HF determined made him overrated.

But back to Jiricek, I see now that he isn’t in the class of prospect that Power was. But he definitely hasn’t been bad, just a little unlucky. I’m still envious of whatever team gets to draft him.

xyzed

Jun 25, 2012
This guy definitely needs some work on his skating.
I've noticed that too. And that is not just based only on this game. Sometimes when I read this thread I feel like he could immediately be a Norris trophy contender. Still so much work needed

Reactions: ThisIsMyAlibi

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I’m realizing that now :laugh: I think Power was extremely underrated in his draft reason because he “seemed” like a very old school type of player, which HF determined made him overrated.

But back to Jiricek, I see now that he isn’t in the class of prospect that Power was. But he definitely hasn’t been bad, just a little unlucky. I’m still envious of whatever team gets to draft him.

Power was overrated because of the way his defensive game was hyped up and people acted like he was a two way beast. He's much more of an offensive Dman with some iffy defense

Reactions: majormajor and jc17

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad