RD David Jiricek (2022, 6th, CBJ)

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I know this is an unpopular opinion here, but I really think the WHL wouldn’t be a bad idea for Jiricek.

My first thought was he has nothing to prove at the junior level after two pro seasons including games for the men’s national team. But all the points discussed above make me think it’d be a good fit. In Czechia, he’d get a bigger role but he’d still be competing for ice time on a team that’s playing to win.

In the WHL, he could be a leader and develop his game with lots of freedom and little pressure. He can get stronger and adjust to the North American style of play on an NHL-style schedule, with 68 games (+ playoffs) including back-to-backs (and sometimes even 3 straight) and NHL-level travel. He’ll likely be the best defenceman in the entire CHL but he’ll get to prove it in what might be the most talented WHL we’ve seen in years, with a combination of high-end 2023 eligibles and NHL-drafted players. He’ll face players like Bedard, Yager, Geekie and Savoie but also fellow top-10 pick Kevin Korchinski in frequent US Division matchups vs. Seattle. Another thing that’s often ignored is the adjustment to life in North America, which often isn’t easy for European players.

Let him have a point-per-game season as the #1 defender in Spokane and throw him into the NHL for 2023-24, when he’s fully adjusted to North America and as confident as ever.

I don't think WHL is close enough to NHL style for that to be a help. Yes it's small ice but the level of competition outweighs that, it's just so much lower in the CHL so that it doesn't help Jiricek as much as playing in the AHL or Czech league. He still has room to take a step in the Czech league so that seems like the best fit for him now. If he takes a step up this summer then maybe I'd say AHL.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I agree every prospect is different and needs different approaches...

I'd say AHL is best spot and let him develop far from spotlight.

Then maybe SEL?

Then extraliga again as he's established.

I see no point in NHL time next year and I'm dying to get more Czechs in NHL.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021

Google translated quote from the Jiricek interview:
Do you already know where you will spend the next season?
We didn't talk about that, I'll see what Columbus says after the championship. Depending on what they offer as options, I will decide.
Czech posters, how would you interpret his answer? Can we conclude anything from this?

Here's one way to read it: right now CBJ thinks his options for upcoming season are AHL, Czech league or some other Euro league, but they're not sure yet if NA would be good for him at this stage of development. They will reassess it in late August once the WJC is over:

- If the tournament goes well for him, Jiricek can freely choose from those 3+ options.
- If it doesn't go that well, his options will be the Czech league or some other Euro league(s).

I think they want him to make his decision before September, which is when regular seasons in Europe start.

Reactions: majormajor

Voodoozz

Czechmate
Feb 22, 2016
Pilsen
www.youtube.com

Google translated quote from the Jiricek interview:

Czech posters, how would you interpret his answer? Can we conclude anything from this?

Here's one way to read it: right now CBJ thinks his options for upcoming season are AHL, Czech league or some other Euro league, but they're not sure yet if NA would be good for him at this stage of development. They will reassess it in late August once the WJC is over:

- If the tournament goes well for him, Jiricek can freely choose from those 3+ options.
- If it doesn't go that well, his options will be the Czech league or some other Euro league(s).

I think they want him to make his decision before September, which is when regular seasons in Europe start.

In this interview (behind a paywall) David states that there hasn't yet been any discussion with CBJ on where he plays this upcoming season and that the final decision will be made after the training camp. He then says that AHL/Extraliga are the most probable options and that he doesn't think the CHL makes much sense for him at this stage and that he himself would prefer to play against men. He also says that while he'll do his best to make it to the Jackets roster straight out of camp, he doesn't believe he's good enough to play as an NHL regular yet. He's well aware of his limitations - he mentions strength and D-zone play - and wants to improve in these areas.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220721_222601.jpg
    Screenshot_20220721_222601.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

vildurson

Jun 2, 2021
In this interview (behind a paywall) David states that there hasn't yet been any discussion with CBJ on where he plays this upcoming season and that the final decision will be made after the training camp. He then says that AHL/Extraliga are the most probable options and that he doesn't think the CHL makes much sense for him at this stage and that he himself would prefer to play against men. He also says that while he'll do his best to make it to the Jackets roster straight out of camp, he doesn't believe he's good enough to play as an NHL regular yet. He's well aware of his limitations - he mentions strength and D-zone play - and wants to improve in these areas.

At least he seems to be honest to himself/somewhat realistic on his goals. That's always a good sign that he might not be rushed.

Extraliga with high responsibility and minutes should be the preferred spot for him this year. Figure out how to handle it against grown men without big pressure and you should be good to go.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
At least he seems to be honest to himself/somewhat realistic on his goals. That's always a good sign that he might not be rushed.

Extraliga with high responsibility and minutes should be the preferred spot for him this year. Figure out how to handle it against grown men without big pressure and you should be good to go.
Extraliga on top pair with 20 plus a night and EHT your stops, world Juniors at xmas and then world's at end would be a great season.

My preferences is AHL which is the least sexy option but lots of practice time, play with men, make mistakes far from the spotlight and small rink (unless extraliga has changed sizes). He projects to be an NHL D so AHL is his best bet to turn into that IMO. If Columbus is not playoff bound then a late season calluo for a game or 2 would be great too.

Reactions: wetcoast

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Extraliga on top pair with 20 plus a night and EHT your stops, world Juniors at xmas and then world's at end would be a great season.

My preferences is AHL which is the least sexy option but lots of practice time, play with men, make mistakes far from the spotlight and small rink (unless extraliga has changed sizes). He projects to be an NHL D so AHL is his best bet to turn into that IMO. If Columbus is not playoff bound then a late season calluo for a game or 2 would be great too.
My only fear about him playing in the AHL is that Jarmo might be tempted to call him up if we get an injury or two and I'd rather him keep getting those big minutes elsewhere.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
My only fear about him playing in the AHL is that Jarmo might be tempted to call him up if we get an injury or two and I'd rather him keep getting those big minutes elsewhere.

That's a legit concern knowing Jarmo's tendencies. And I think rink size is an overrated concern.

On the other side, I'm concerned about Jiricek's aggressive playstyle. He needs to get stronger, not just to become more effective, but to reduce injury risk. Cleveland would be much better for strength training than Czechia.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
How would folks compare Jiricek to Seider when he was at this stage (post draft)? The AHL ended up being great for Seider's development that year. My sense is that Jiricek is further along offensively than Seider was but Seider was already stronger and used his body better.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
How would folks compare Jiricek to Seider when he was at this stage (post draft)? The AHL ended up being great for Seider's development that year. My sense is that Jiricek is further along offensively than Seider was but Seider was already stronger and used his body better.
I think Seider is a future Norris contender... Not sure if jiricek is.

Seider is in Makar potential.

Jiricek is in nurse territory.

Note I like all 4 d in this comparison

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

How many had Seider as Makar potential on draft day?

He would have been 1st overall ainec and not seen as reach by Detroit

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

I was comparing them as draft prospects, obviously what Seider has done since his draft makes it an unfair comparison.

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
What the hell is this guy playing at the WJC ??? I was always high on him but... I don´t know. My impression from him right now is he isn´t the smartest guy and hockey player in the world, to put it mildly. Which is a substantial red flag for his next development in my eyes.

4 games so far, 0 goals, 1 assist, -3. Stats aren´t lying he has a really poor championship. Biggest disappoitment of the tournament for me AINEC.

Last edited:

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
What the hell is this guy playing at the WJC ??? I was always high on him but... I don´t know. My impression from him right now is he isn´t the smartest guy and hockey player in the world, to put it mildly. Which is a substantial red flag for his next development in my eyes.

4 games so far, 0 goals, 1 assist, -3. Stats aren´t lying he has a really poor championship. Biggest disappoitment of the tournament for me AINEC.
My excuse was that he was still recovering from the covid. He had only just arrived in Canada before the tournament began and may have had only one practice. Yeah he didn't have his best performance, but there's no need to worry too much just yet, keep healthy and wait for camp.

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016

It seems to me that he plays like 80%. He plays loosely, makes bad decisions. Big disappointment.

kudla

May 11, 2016
Bratislava, Slovakia
Definitely. His play at this wjc screams lack of motivation to me. Not a good look for him to be sure.
I mean, when czechs scored that 5-4 goal against Slovakia, the camera showed bench reactions and Jiricek unlike uthers, didn't celebrate, or even flinch, just stood there. Don't know what to take from it, but it looked weird.

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
I mean, when czechs scored that 5-4 goal against Slovakia, the camera showed bench reactions and Jiricek unlike uthers, didn't celebrate, or even flinch, just stood there. Don't know what to take from it, but it looked weird.
I rewatch this clip, Jiricek stood up when Gabby scored. Some players, especially young players, are very excited when he or his teammates score, but some players are clam, it's okay.
I even rewatch the clip that Novak's goal from Jiricek's beautiful pass in the cancelled tournament, he was calm in that clip, too. It could just be his personality. WJC was not a good memory for him, and maybe he wanted to play more cautiously in this tournament to prevent another injury.

Reactions: tunnelvision

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I'm a bit disappointed. But aside from a couple instances of rush defense (e.g. McTavish walking past him) I've liked Jiricek's decision making. It's the skating/ pace that are limiting his involvement right now. That and perhaps a lack of confidence. When he's most effective he's willing to try and be more deceptive from the blueline. I've liked the passing - good transitions and he could easily have had a couple more assists with some help from his teammates. And if he gets close to any attackers on the wall he's been very quick at sealing them off and winning the puck battle. He was man of the match in game one for good reason.

I have a very difficult time imagining any lack of passion from Jiricek, I've watched every shift and it looks more like he just doesn't have his best legs and confidence. I don't think he's a very good skater, he's particularly top heavy at this age, and it doesn't give him much room for error out there.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
As a worried CBJ fan who likes to keep count of all Jiricek's knee collisions during games (I've seen maybe 3 or 4 in this tournament so far), I'm totally fine with him showing less "passion" or "motivation" and playing more conservative hockey from the backend, even if it means less points, highlight clips, wins, player of the game awards etc. He almost injured himself in a pre-tournament game in July while trying to skate through two skaters at center ice. Aggressive but very risky stuff considering his history.

Hasn't looked like a world-beater nor a bust, and that is okay to me. I like his play in DZ - with and without the puck - and the activation in cycle game on the other end. Passing looks good in general but he often goes for desperate, hopeful passes instead of precise, well-planned passes. He likes to just throw it to the crease after beating couple of guys on the wall and circling around the net in OZ. Not too many of them have found the target, iirc.

Right now I just hope (still selfishly as a fan of CBJ) that he would finish the tournament with no injuries, go wherever to bulk up, get ready for training camp, and then spend next year with the team which gives him a lot of off-ice time to get stronger and which would have a coach who could help him the most to take smarter approaches in puck races/puck battles...work on skating technique and all details related to that stuff.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
He's been pretty disappointing from my eye but if he's really recovering from Covid recently than that's a good reason.

Reactions: Czechboy

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
How many had Seider as Makar potential on draft day?

He would have been 1st overall ainec and not seen as reach by Detroit
About the same amount of people that thought Makar was gonna turn into current Makar on his draft day

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He likes to just throw it to the crease after beating couple of guys on the wall and circling around the net in OZ. Not too many of them have found the target, iirc.

That sort of thing isn't working for Czechia now but I see it as super promising for Jiricek's future. I'm just encouraged by the ease with which he gets himself open low in the zone. I think he'll figure out how to do more with those activations. He needs to practice playmaking/ passing from down low positions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad